Need game plan for kicking an oxy addition - please help
    silverback999 is offline New Member

Default Need game plan for kicking an oxy addition - please help

Hi,

I've been using oxy on and off for probably 6-8 months. I've had ~3 periods of "addiction", i.e. periods between which I've gone 2 or more weeks without using and could have stayed clean if I hadn't fallen into the "well I'm not addicted any more now, might as well try one" trap.

I have no more illusions about this and really want to stop. I don't have any underlying need for oxy (it was purely recreational).

I've recently been on up to 240mg (3x80 pills) per day, but not long before was at around a steady 100mg. I crush the pills and insufflate them, which doesn't help.

I was hoping to use the Easter break to stop, but unfortunately relapsed. I left the meds ~45min from home and hoped that would be enough incentive to stay away (lol!). However, over the 4 days of Easter, I've only taken 240mg in total, which is at least a step in the right direction.

I have a friend who understands my plight and is willing to help. I'm planning to ask him to dispense 1x 80mg tablet per day this week, and maybe try for a half a tablet next week, before fully quitting the weekend thereafter. I'm thinking of taking a day off work that Friday or Monday to give me 3 days. DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK? Is there anything else you would recommend (instead)?

I really need to stop ASAP as I'm harming my health, my personal and professional life, and eating through my savings.

Thank you

brokenintwo is offline Member

Ya know it seeMs the 'need to talk' section of the forum.
    Just wanted to help ya as I can..peace ~broken

1DaysPay is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by silverback999 View Post
    Hi,

I've been using oxy on and off for probably 6-8 months. I've had ~3 periods of "addiction", i.e. periods between which I've gone 2 or more weeks without using and could have stayed clean if I hadn't fallen into the "well I'm not addicted any more now, might as well try one" trap.

I have no more illusions about this and really want to stop. I don't have any underlying need for oxy (it was purely recreational).

I've recently been on up to 240mg (3x80 pills) per day, but not long before was at around a steady 100mg. I crush the pills and insufflate them, which doesn't help.

I was hoping to use the Easter break to stop, but unfortunately relapsed. I left the meds ~45min from home and hoped that would be enough incentive to stay away (lol!). However, over the 4 days of Easter, I've only taken 240mg in total, which is at least a step in the right direction.

I have a friend who understands my plight and is willing to help. I'm planning to ask him to dispense 1x 80mg tablet per day this week, and maybe try for a half a tablet next week, before fully quitting the weekend thereafter. I'm thinking of taking a day off work that Friday or Monday to give me 3 days. DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK? Is there anything else you would recommend (instead)?

I really need to stop ASAP as I'm harming my health, my personal and professional life, and eating through my savings.

Thank you
    I too have had an opiate problem in the past and relapsed twice. At my worst i was averaging 750-900 mg per day. More recently I kicked (and am still working at it) a 240-300 mg per day habit.

You should really look into using suboxone as a tool to help you taper off if it is available to you. Make sure you follow the COWS chart and induce yourself properly!! If not you will get precipitated withdrawls and that is something you definately want no part of. When I was kicking my first go around I did not know how to use the suboxone properly and I started taking it too soon. I put myself into precipitated WD and almost landed myself in the morgue. The COWS chart is very important to yield a successful detox with subs. If no suboxone is available to you check out the Thomas Recepie.

The physical part is hard to get through but the above mentioned methods really do help make it bareable.

Its important to drink lots of fluid, stay active, get sunlight, fresh air, and not lay around all day. Plenty of water and electrolyes coupled with physical activity will help get your own endorphins working and cleaning out your system. Hide your clock!!! Consistantly looking at the clock will make time stop while detoxing. Try and get a good amount of rest at noght. Insomnia and restless leg syndrome will make tou insane. Go to walmart and pick up some 5htp and some Restful Leg. These will help you with that along with anxiety and mood. Pick up some immodium for the diahhera. Also, shower or bathe yourself daily. This can really help feel clean and relax muscles a it helped me psychologically too.

Your mind will play games with you and trick you into wanting to take more pills to satisfy the thurst. Stay focused and dont give in as hard as it can be.

Turn to us here for help and motivation. More importantly go to AA or NA meetings. Face to face meetings can be a lifesaver.

Stay focused, driven, and active. Take care of yourself. Eat, hydrate, hide the clock.

This process is all in the mind. Your mind will make excuses to try and convince you to feed the thurst. Excuses sound best to those that make them up. If the things around you dont change, change the things around you. Change your mind. It will change your life. You've got to want this more than anything in life. Dont end up at day one again. Make this the last day one.

You can do it. Be an inspiration, not another statistic.

Will check back later

All the best

1dayspay

Thank you 1dayspay for the excellent reply.

The problem I'm facing is that I have a full time, demanding job. I've gone through detox once while at work on a much smaller dose and it was hell. I got nothing done and had to take a day off sick.

I'll give the taper with oxy a try, and will look into suboxone. Unfortunately I don't seem to have any locally available and I don't want to go to a doctor.

I'm losing hope that I can do this during work and over a weekend. In your opinion, is that possible?

My last hope is to waste a week of my vacation, take time off and go somewhere warm by myself. Spend all my time reading and lying in the sun. A week will certainly be enough time. Unfortunately that's a waste of my precious holidays and I would need to keep using for another month or so before I can take that time off...

Thanks!

Didn't think the forums could help but they definitely do!

You've really motivated me - I will taper to 1x80mg on Tue, Wed, Thu, and my last dose will be ~20mg on Friday morning. I'll tough it out on Friday and let the hell begin on Sat and Sun. I'll mentally prepare myself for a hard day on Monday (but hopefully better than the Sat and Sun). If it gets to the point where I cannot do my job properly, I'll have to pick up my lower tapered dose again. My friend is extremely helpful and will not give me more than the pre-agreed dose no matter how much I ask.

If this fails (and I'm really motivated for it not to), I'll try to taper as much as possible and take a 1 week holiday in a couple of weeks. During that time I'll be far away, reading books and lying in the sun by myself. That MUST be enough, but let's hope I succeed at home because I don't want to waste time or money on an impromptu "holiday"!

serafin5 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by silverback999 View Post
    Thanks!

Didn't think the forums could help but they definitely do!

You've really motivated me - I will taper to 1x80mg on Tue, Wed, Thu, and my last dose will be ~20mg on Friday morning. I'll tough it out on Friday and let the hell begin on Sat and Sun. I'll mentally prepare myself for a hard day on Monday (but hopefully better than the Sat and Sun). If it gets to the point where I cannot do my job properly, I'll have to pick up my lower tapered dose again. My friend is extremely helpful and will not give me more than the pre-agreed dose no matter how much I ask.

If this fails (and I'm really motivated for it not to), I'll try to taper as much as possible and take a 1 week holiday in a couple of weeks. During that time I'll be far away, reading books and lying in the sun by myself. That MUST be enough, but let's hope I succeed at home because I don't want to waste time or money on an impromptu "holiday"!
    Hey Silverback! Listen I hear you loud and clear and I know you work hard and don't want to lose vacation time but you are WORTH this time! This is one of the hardest things you may ever do; getting off opiates can bring a person to it's knees. Hopefully, in prayer. I have my own thread but I've been kicking an 8yr Methadone addiction cold turkey-well the first 34days in jail! Yes I've had some meds but I'm nowhere near 100% yet and I have over 90 days from my last dose! So I do understand I promise. Don't have money for the "Thomas Recipe" but if I did I would do it. Please try and get clean and save your precious life.

God Bless you
    Serafin5