Need help?
    anhnn123 is offline New Member

Default Need help?

Hey all,

I've been on mostly xanax for just about 6 years now. I've been using it in maintenance form for 2 years--my psychiatrist prescribed me xanax extended release. During these two years, I've very often finished my xanax earlier than directed, and shamefully, I doctor shopped a bit to bridge the gaps.

I have now successfully tapered down to 1mg to 1.5mg/day of xanax extended release. I've been on this low dosage (for me) for about 6 weeks. A few weeks ago, my psychiatrist dropped me due to a high balance on my account (I'd gotten fired from my job), and it's just so hard and expensive to keep depending on benzos.

My doctor said I shouldn't have major withdrawal at the 1mg to 1.5mg dosage. I'm almost out of pills, and I'm thinking I'm gonna finish this script and free myself of this habit.

I have A LOT of neurontin...about 9 bottles of 300mg capsules, and I do take propanolol (beta blocker) daily.

I'm ready to be free of benzos.

Any advice? Thoughts? Stories?

Also...how long does it take to feel normal again after quitting?

extremetm is offline Junior Member

I was on 1 to 2mg per day of Xanax (non-extended release) for about 15 years. I stopped cold turkey. Spent weeks Googling it before jumping off.

In my case it took almost 3 years for the withdrawls to finally disappear. I've heard stories of a few months to it never really leaving completely. The damage done to the brain chemistry and body is really bad.

I know there is a 'recipe' out there much like the Thomas recipe for opiates but I can't find it. Hopefully someone can chime in with the name.

It's a long road and a long commitment but worth it. Been off for a little over 5 years and never looked back.

Wishing you a successful and strong journey.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-22-2018 at 09:58 AM.