Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elizabeth4304
need help getting off of suboxone
    elizabeth4304 is offline New Member

Default need help getting off of suboxone

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for help. I was in recovery for 6 years. Slowly i stopped going to meeting and working a program; eventually started abusing pills again. I was taking xanex, tramadol and oxycodone. I was able (with the help of a doctor) to wean off of the xanax by using valium and I literally had zero withdrawal. I know I was lucky there! I started taking suboxone to taper off opioids. I only had the 8 mg films and was doing my best to cut them into 8 equal pieces, then cutting that into even smaller pieces from there. Its been 24 hours and the w/d is pretty bad. I know we all have our excuses, but I truly can't miss a day of work. I'm in the medical field and have to be at my best or as close to "my best" as possible. On top of that this is a new job. I have to restart and try to wean again. I know there will be some w/d, but I can't function with the level I'm at now. My question is, how can I do this when I only have 8mg films available? I know years ago I was on subs, but it was a pill form? Are they still available? Was anyone in my position of only having 8mg, if so how did you successfully wean off? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. What would one do if they were to restart at 1 mg?
    Thanks!!
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Elizabeth
    Welcome!
    How long were u taking subs and was it 1 mg doses each time? Have u skipped any days?
    Read the taper sheet at the top of the suboxone treatment page.
    The strips are much easier to cut than the pills are to crush. Stick with the strips. Subs are strong. Do you have any sub left? Cut one of those 1 mg strips into 4 pieces. Take .25mg. That just might take away the wd. It's called a "rescue dose."
    Hang in there. With a little sub you should be able to work.
    Let us know how you're doing....

Thank you so much for replying. I do have two 8mg strips. I took them for about 3 months. Always a low dose. 2 mg was the highest. Today is the only day I haven't taken any. I stopped at about 0.5 mg or lower. I have tiny scissors, but still never could cut them equally. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the .25mg. I want my life back!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Elizabeth,

Try to use tweezers to hold the strip. That helps. Make sure you read the taper plan. Find the dose that gets you stable (little to no withdrawal). Jumping from .5 is hard. Subs are very strong. If you felt good on .5, that may be the dose you need to be at now. It was hard for me to tell from your post, but were you on .5 and just skipped yesterday putting you into withdrawal? If that is true, and you've been taking the .5 for a while, you might be able to cut that by 25% or a new dose of around .33 (cut 1 mg into 3 pieces). Stay put until you are completely stable. Around 4 or 5 days and then reduce another 25% of the .33 (to around .25--the cutting gets a little weird when you get this low). Just be sure to be stable before you reduce. Some people do skip days once they're at .25 or lower and others wait until they are at .125 and skip days or jump at that point. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Good Luck!

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat,
    Thank you. I only have the 8mg films. So I have a lot of cutting to do and its hard to be accurate.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Elizabeth,

How you doing? It's a little tricky but can be done. Hold it with tweezers and cut in half, then those in half, and then again in half again. You'll have 8 one mg pieces. Cut each of those in half again for .5 and yet again for .25. Believe it or not, with some practice lots of people cut them again so they have .125 pieces.

Are you still at .5 or where are you now?

Peace,

Cat