• 2 Post By Toby3610
  • 1 Post By AttackPanda
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Toby3610
  • 1 Post By AttackPanda
Need help with quick suboxone taper from painkiller addiction
    AttackPanda is offline New Member

Default Need help with quick suboxone taper from painkiller addiction

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the website. I only have 2 8mg strips of suboxone. I took 2mg today. I was wondering what would be the best way to do an extremely fast taper. I can't get anymore suboxone, so that's out of the question. I'm using it to get off of a 6 year pill/opiate addiction. Should is drop 50% each day? Or how should I do it? Thank you guys for the help.

Toby3610 is offline Member

I don't really know how to help but I do wish you luck. With that amount of suboxone might be difficult. There will be people who are much more experience than me that look at these forums and will have much more and better ideas than me. I am not sure of the link but there is the Thomas recipe I believe its called and I know that has helped alot of people on here. I'm currently on Subs but I'm slowly tapering and getting my life together as I'm doing it. I needed counselling and NA meetings and dealing with triggers and mental health problems to deal with and this has meant a longer time with Subs to prevent me from relapse. Everyone has there own path stay true to who you are and to your path and your path of recovery. Good luck and I hope things fall into place and the subs work for you and your able to taper quick.
    Randy35 and AttackPanda like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AttackPanda View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post on the website. I only have 2 8mg strips of suboxone. I took 2mg today. I was wondering what would be the best way to do an extremely fast taper. I can't get anymore suboxone, so that's out of the question. I'm using it to get off of a 6 year pill/opiate addiction. Should is drop 50% each day? Or how should I do it? Thank you guys for the help.

Welcome to the forum.

I must first tell you that using subs for a quick or rapid detox/taper is not recommended. The relapse rate is very high doing it that way. Subs are intended to be taken just long enough to get over addictive thoughts and behaviors. Our sub therapy plan most widely used here on the forum takes around 6-8 weeks from induction to final jump. And the success rate of those using this plan is very, very high. Used it myself and now have over 2 years clean.

With that said I'm not saying a quick taper can't work, some have had success with it. You have to be committed 100% to getting clean. And face to face help that NA/AA meetings provide is also suggested. Even with the clean time I have I still go to meetings to help keep me clean, which is the more difficult part to this.

If 2 of the 8mg sub films is all you can get then you can taper from them. It certainly won't be perfect, and you should plan on having some wd symptoms. They may or may not be bothersome. I have no idea how severe or little your previous habit is? If you can provide more info it would help.

So you have a total of 16mgs of sub, but you already took 2mg. Did that get you stable? Assuming that you did we cn formulate a plan and see how it goes. I would plan on taking that 2mg for another couple days. Then I would reduce that dose down to 1.5mg total per day and spend around 2 days on that dose. The reduce down to 1mg per day and again spend around 2 days on that dose.

Doing that will take a total of 9mg of the 14mgs you have left. You'll have 5mgs left. Then you shoudl slow down a bit.

Once you've spent a couple days on 1mg you could reduce that down to .75mg per day. Spend 2-3 days on that dose. Reduce that to .5mg and take that for 2-3 days. Reduce that to .25mg per day and take that for 2-3 days. You'll then have about 1/2 of 1 mg (.5mg) left for emergencies.

If all goes well you'll be able to jump from that .25mg dose and be ok. That's how I would do it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    AttackPanda likes this.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. I know the success rate is really low. But at this point I have no choice, my old suboxone doctor is no longer accepting patients with my insurance. I was taking suboxone daily 2-4mg, then I relapsed 3 months ago. I really do want to get off this horrible stuff. My habit has been 40-50mg hydro, 15-30mg oxy, 30-60ng morphine, a day. So a decent amount. I took 2 mg again today. So that's 2 days now. 2 mg keeps me mostly stable. Just a few cold chills and a little bone aching. But I have lyrica and ibuprofen for that, both prescribed by a doctor. But thank you so much, that sounds like a good plan. My only question is, how do you get to that low of a dose with strips? That would be very small.
    Toby3610 likes this.

Thank you for the support, I really want this, so if I have to face some withdrawls, so be it. I'm done feeling chained down all day. It's stopping me from doing so much in life. I know of the Thomas recipe, I was going to do that until I ran into the subs. I think a quick taper off of them should make the withdrawls more tolerable right?
    Toby3610 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. I know the success rate is really low. But at this point I have no choice, my old suboxone doctor is no longer accepting patients with my insurance. I was taking suboxone daily 2-4mg, then I relapsed 3 months ago. I really do want to get off this horrible stuff. My habit has been 40-50mg hydro, 15-30mg oxy, 30-60ng morphine, a day. So a decent amount. I took 2 mg again today. So that's 2 days now. 2 mg keeps me mostly stable. Just a few cold chills and a little bone aching. But I have lyrica and ibuprofen for that, both prescribed by a doctor. But thank you so much, that sounds like a good plan. My only question is, how do you get to that low of a dose with strips? That would be very small.

Your welcome!

Getting the low doses of sub when you have the film strips is not as difficult as it may seem. The film is much easier than cutting the pills are I assure you. I had both pills and film and theres as great way to cut your dose up.

Get some small scissors and a pair of tweezers. Hold the 8mg film carefully with the tweezers and cut it in half by eyeballing it. You'll have 2 pieces that are 4mg each. Cut those in half and you'll have 4 pieces of 2mg each. Repeat that method all the way down until you have your .5mg and .25mg doses. Maybe cut a few up in advance and keep them in the foil wrapper they come in. It really isn't that difficult if you're careful. You'll get the pieces close enough by eyeballing them as I did.

Randy

P.S. Theres also a great video on youtube by a member here, Harry Smooth. Harry shows how to visually cut up the strips and will help you plenty. Put "Cutting Suboxone Strips" in the search bar and it's usually the first or second name there.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-14-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    Toby3610 and AttackPanda like this.

Thank you for your advice Randy. I have the sub strips and am currently tapering and have a plan with my Doctor. Its nice to have advice from you and others.
    AttackPanda I hope the subs help with the withdrawals. I think it might help a little to what extent I don't know. I believe withdrawing is quite an individual thing even though there is quite alot of common side effects such the pain, anxiety and restlessness it is very much dependant on how your body tolerates the withdrawals. Its awesome that you are very determined to give up. Its takes so much to get through. The only thing I can help with is being here and reading whatever you need to write to get through it and support you both through the it and after to stay clean. Congratulations on your decision and stay strong. I hope this helps.
    AttackPanda and Randy35 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby3610 View Post
    Thank you for your advice Randy. I have the sub strips and am currently tapering and have a plan with my Doctor. Its nice to have advice from you and others.
    AttackPanda I hope the subs help with the withdrawals. I think it might help a little to what extent I don't know. I believe withdrawing is quite an individual thing even though there is quite alot of common side effects such the pain, anxiety and restlessness it is very much dependant on how your body tolerates the withdrawals. Its awesome that you are very determined to give up. Its takes so much to get through. The only thing I can help with is being here and reading whatever you need to write to get through it and support you both through the it and after to stay clean. Congratulations on your decision and stay strong. I hope this helps.
    Thank You for the support Toby. I am very determined, it's been 6 years that I've done nothing with my life, I started at 15, am 21 now. I dropped out of high school because of this. It's been like wearing a ball and chain around my ankle. It's helping so far, I've taken 1 mg today, and the withdrawls are tolerable. So it's working so far, I'm going in 2 day incremeants. I'll extend the time line if I have to. It's nice to be able to chat with people who've been there. Thank you again for the support.
    Toby3610 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Your welcome!

Getting the low doses of sub when you have the film strips is not as difficult as it may seem. The film is much easier than cutting the pills are I assure you. I had both pills and film and theres as great way to cut your dose up.

Get some small scissors and a pair of tweezers. Hold the 8mg film carefully with the tweezers and cut it in half by eyeballing it. You'll have 2 pieces that are 4mg each. Cut those in half and you'll have 4 pieces of 2mg each. Repeat that method all the way down until you have your .5mg and .25mg doses. Maybe cut a few up in advance and keep them in the foil wrapper they come in. It really isn't that difficult if you're careful. You'll get the pieces close enough by eyeballing them as I did.

Randy

P.S. Theres also a great video on youtube by a member here, Harry Smooth. Harry shows how to visually cut up the strips and will help you plenty. Put "Cutting Suboxone Strips" in the search bar and it's usually the first or second name there.
    Thank you for the support also, the scissors work well. Thanks for the advice. Any other advice you could give as to what to do when I stop taking the subs? I've been reading about a so called jump dose. Where you take a bigger dose the day before you plan to stop, because of the half life. Is that a good idea? Or should I just keep to the tapering to .25?

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Thank you for the support also, the scissors work well. Thanks for the advice. Any other advice you could give as to what to do when I stop taking the subs? I've been reading about a so called jump dose. Where you take a bigger dose the day before you plan to stop, because of the half life. Is that a good idea? Or should I just keep to the tapering to .25?
    Don't take the bigger dose at the end, follow what Randy has already suggested!

Here's the link to Harry Smooth's video on how to cut the Suboxone film - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE
    AttackPanda likes this.

Keep up the good work AttackPanda. You have so much to look forward to. Life can be a great thing when you can make the break from drugs. The opportunities for travel, work, and just day to day life is good. I'm back studying and even though I'm on suboxone for a longer period its help to have more time for me and for work and for study. I'm enjoying it. I like have more time to go to the beach, for exercise and I feel so much healthier. My skin is less oily and blotchy, I feel better. I'm really looking forward to being of subs completely but for just now its helping me move forward out of old habits and with help creating new good, healthier ones. I have been battling this crazy awful thing on and of for years. Stay determined, stay strong. And create a great life for you.
    AttackPanda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Don't take the bigger dose at the end, follow what Randy has already suggested!

Here's the link to Harry Smooth's video on how to cut the Suboxone film - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE
    Alright, thanks for the info and the link. I really apreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby3610 View Post
    Keep up the good work AttackPanda. You have so much to look forward to. Life can be a great thing when you can make the break from drugs. The opportunities for travel, work, and just day to day life is good. I'm back studying and even though I'm on suboxone for a longer period its help to have more time for me and for work and for study. I'm enjoying it. I like have more time to go to the beach, for exercise and I feel so much healthier. My skin is less oily and blotchy, I feel better. I'm really looking forward to being of subs completely but for just now its helping me move forward out of old habits and with help creating new good, healthier ones. I have been battling this crazy awful thing on and of for years. Stay determined, stay strong. And create a great life for you.
    I will, I'm doing my best, I know the feeling, trust me. I feel like only people who have been through it/going through it understand what it's like. I wish you the best of luck as well in fighting this inner demon. It gets tough when it gets later in the day. Just feels like the suboxone wears off, even though I know the half life means it shouldn't. Maybe it's just a mental thing. But I'm staying strong, I really feel like I can do this. I've just been trying to keep myself as distracted as possible. I swear the mental aspect is almost if not as bad as the sickness. Maybe even worse.
    Toby3610 likes this.

Hey Attack Panda,
    How are you doing? Hope all is good and your feeling better? Just wanted to check in with you and see how its all going. I've just dropped a little in my suboxone tapper and feeling not to bad. A little restless and achie and sore. I have arthritis in my knees. My left knee is a little worse and I could feel my joints a little more than usual. I had a knee reconstruction 20 years ago and unfortunately its one of the side effects the doctors said. I find it hard to crouch down and I work with kids as a learn to swim teacher and while I dropped 1mg. Its alot and I think part of the reason why I felt so sore was a combination between work and slight W/ds I felt a little >>>>. I found it hard to get to sleep but when I did I slept really well. %hours sleep in a row is awesome for me. I usually find it hard to sleep. It usually takes an hour to get to sleep then I usually wake every 1 or 2 hours, sometimes 3 hours then I;ll wake up for an hour then go back to sleep. If I'm lucky I'll get 6 hours sleep a night. It sucks so much as I'm tired often. But this weekend its paid off a little as I've been able to try and get some sleep through the day which I don't usually do but its helped me to sleep through some of the withdrawal effects and after 2 days its like my body has adjusted to the lower dose. So happy I've been able to come down even just a little
    OPps sorry I didn't mean to talk about me so much but I hope you are good and feeling great.