Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Tredecop
Need help weaning off tramadol
    Tredecop is offline New Member

Default Need help weaning off tramadol

Hi, this is my first time posting. I have been using tramadol about 1 1/2 years, up too 800 mg some days. Tapered down to 400 mg now. I've read here about using suboxone to help with withdrawals? I've tried tapering but I get bad depression. I know I need to be off long enough to score 26 on the COWS. How low do I need to taper before stopping the tramadol to start suboxone? Also I take 1 mg daily klonopin for social anxiety. Thanks!

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tredecop View Post
    Hi, this is my first time posting. I have been using tramadol about 1 1/2 years, up too 800 mg some days. Tapered down to 400 mg now. I've read here about using suboxone to help with withdrawals? I've tried tapering but I get bad depression. I know I need to be off long enough to score 26 on the COWS. How low do I need to taper before stopping the tramadol to start suboxone? Also I take 1 mg daily klonopin for social anxiety. Thanks!
    Suboxone should be your absolute last option! Suboxone therapy from start to finish is roughly two months? If you taper the Tramadol correctly you should have very little discomfort and withdrawal symptoms. How long have you been on the Klonopin? What are your plans concerning the Klonopin, do you want to eventually get off that as well? Let us know how you want to proceed? We can help you with the proper taper schedule for the Tramadol or the Suboxone? I think you should avoid the Suboxone until you try "correctly" tapering the Tramadol? Let us know? God bless us all!

Thank you for responding, I have been taking the klonopin over 10 years, and yes I want to come off that too. It just doesn't bother me nearly as much right now as the tramadol. I had a hysterectomy 3 1/2 months ago, and before that I needed to stop the tramadol, so I tapered down 50 mg every 3 days, and it wasn't too bad. After the surgery they gave me 30 norco for pain, and after that 30 Tylenol 3. I got an infection and started using the tramadol again. Now when I try to taper even 50 mg a week I feel terrible. Worst is the depression, anxiety, and insomnia. I've read the taper schedule for suboxone by Robert 325, where you start at about 2 mg, and taper off for about 8 weeks. Actually where I'm at now, I feel bad taking tramadol, but when I try to taper I feel much worse. As for the klonopin, I've slowly tapered down from 2 mg without much difficulty, I'm not sure how hard it would be to taper off completely. I've read about the liquid titration method where you dissolve it in milk or water and do a 300 day taper. I'm not sure I need to do that. My main concern with klonopin is when I've come off it before my bad social anxiety comes back where I pretty much have to stay at home to avoid it. I've thought of trying behavioral cognitive therapy to control it, or maybe hypnosis? Thanks for your help

Also, how far down would I need to taper the tramadol before getting off and then waiting until the withdrawals are bad enough to start the suboxone?

Also, how far down would I need to taper the tramadol before getting off and then waiting until the withdrawals are bad enough to start the suboxone?
    The problem with Tramadol is that not only does it have a opiate effect it also has a SSRI effect, a doubled edged sword if you will! Coming off Tramadol isn't easy and has to be done extremely slow! You can either try to taper the Tramadol even slower, say by 5% every 5-7 days or so? For example, if you're at 400mg/day then you can go down to 380mg/day right away and then continue to taper 5% every 5-7 days? If tapering the Tramadol is not an option that you want to do then we can help you properly induct onto the subs? You wouldn't taper from the Tramadol in order to start sub therapy! There is no set amount of time either! You have to stop the Tramadol cold turkey and go into severe withdrawal! This could take 15 hours, it could take 50 hours? The deciding and only factor for sub induction is your score of 26 or higher on the COWS worksheet! I would also limit or even elimante your Klonopin use while waiting for your COWS score because benzos and other comfort meds can mask your true score! As far as the Klonopin is concerned, that is even a worst withdrawal than the Tramadol in my opinion! I would tackle the Klonopin taper after you get off all the pain meds including the subs if you decide to go that route. Let us know what you decide and we'll help you further? God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    The problem with Tramadol is that not only does it have a opiate effect it also has a SSRI effect, a doubled edged sword if you will! Coming off Tramadol isn't easy and has to be done extremely slow! You can either try to taper the Tramadol even slower, say by 5% every 5-7 days or so? For example, if you're at 400mg/day then you can go down to 380mg/day right away and then continue to taper 5% every 5-7 days? If tapering the Tramadol is not an option that you want to do then we can help you properly induct onto the subs? You wouldn't taper from the Tramadol in order to start sub therapy! There is no set amount of time either! You have to stop the Tramadol cold turkey and go into severe withdrawal! This could take 15 hours, it could take 50 hours? The deciding and only factor for sub induction is your score of 26 or higher on the COWS worksheet! I would also limit or even elimante your Klonopin use while waiting for your COWS score because benzos and other comfort meds can mask your true score! As far as the Klonopin is concerned, that is even a worst withdrawal than the Tramadol in my opinion! I would tackle the Klonopin taper after you get off all the pain meds including the subs if you decide to go that route. Let us know what you decide and we'll help you further? God bless us all!
    By the way? You said that you have tried to taper the Tramadol by "50mg per week and felt terrible", how exactly did you taper, be specific because the way you tapered could be the issue?

I would take 300 mg a day one week, then 250 mg a day the next week and so on. When I did it before my surgery it wasn't that bad. I'm not using the norco or Tylenol 3 anymore, they only gave me 30 pills of each. So I don't need to taper, just wait until I'm at least 26 on the COWS worksheet? I thought that's maybe how it was, but had read doing that with tramadol puts you at risk of seizures? I found a suboxone doctor an hour from where I live but don't have an appointment yet. I will not take klonopin then when I stop the tramadol until I'm on suboxone. Is 1 mg klonopin a safe amount to take while taking suboxone? I've heard they can be dangerous to take together. I'll probably do the water titration with the klonopin after I'm off the suboxone, thanks so much

I would take 300 mg a day one week, then 250 mg a day the next week and so on. When I did it before my surgery it wasn't that bad. I'm not using the norco or Tylenol 3 anymore, they only gave me 30 pills of each. So I don't need to taper, just wait until I'm at least 26 on the COWS worksheet? I thought that's maybe how it was, but had read doing that with tramadol puts you at risk of seizures? I found a suboxone doctor an hour from where I live but don't have an appointment yet. I will not take klonopin then when I stop the tramadol until I'm on suboxone. Is 1 mg klonopin a safe amount to take while taking suboxone? I've heard they can be dangerous to take together. I'll probably do the water titration with the klonopin after I'm off the suboxone, thanks so much
    Well that is probably your problem with the taper? You have to reduce each dose, for example - say you take 100mg 3x/day = 300mg/day. If you're tapering by 10% then you would take 90mg 3x/day = 270mg/day, you would do that for 5-7 days then taper again by 10%, so on and so forth. So the following week would be 270mg/day - 10% = 80mg 3x/day. You follow me? I really think you'll be better off doing the taper with the Tramadol! You are trading one addiction for another with the subs, the subs are not guaranteed to be an easy induction or taper! What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Well that is probably your problem with the taper? You have to reduce each dose, for example - say you take 100mg 3x/day = 300mg/day. If you're tapering by 10% then you would take 90mg 3x/day = 270mg/day, you would do that for 5-7 days then taper again by 10%, so on and so forth. So the following week would be 270mg/day - 10% = 80mg 3x/day. You follow me? I really think you'll be better off doing the taper with the Tramadol! You are trading one addiction for another with the subs, the subs are not guaranteed to be an easy induction or taper! What do you think?
    I'll be out for a few hours but I'll check in on you later this evening? Hopefully some others will chime in also with their thoughts and suggestions?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Going on suboxone for you I think would be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. As Ricky says, I think it would be far better to taper more slowly from the tramadol. I suspect some of your trouble could be the hysterectomy if they didn't leave the ovaries. Might want to get hormones checked.
    Ricky71 likes this.

Ok, the thing I was wondering about tapering like that, how do you cut up the pills to make the right dose? Should I get a prescription for liquid tramadol? I kept my ovaries, but I have been having other symptoms of hormonal imbalances. I actually had blood drawn last week to test my hormones, sometimes you can have "sleepy ovaries" for a while after a hysterectomy. I haven't gotten the test results back yet, but I also think that's likely. Maybe hormone therapy plus proper tapering is what I need! Thanks
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

And then I guess if I was taking a 90 mg dose I would take a 50 mg pill, plus 40 mg liquid tramadol?

And then I guess if I was taking a 90 mg dose I would take a 50 mg pill, plus 40 mg liquid tramadol?
    I see Thisweekforsure stopped by your thread and she also recommended the same thing as I did about tapering with the Tramadol only!

You can do a liquid titration if you want which is the most accurate way or you can cut your tabs and crush them into powder? Cut one tab in half so now you would have two 25mg pieces. Take one 25mg piece and crush it up into fine powder then you can separate that powder into 5 even piles (as close to even as you can) now you have five piles of 5mg each! I hope this help? You can also look into a High Precision Digital Jewelry Milligram Scale that measures down to 0.001g. or something similiar if you want to be as precise as possible? I hope this helps? Good luck and keep us updated?

Ok! Yes, thank you that is very helpful!