Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By TampaFlorida
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By mattchew33
need some advice please...METHADONE!
    mattchew33 is offline New Member

Default need some advice please...METHADONE!

My brother who has been at the clinic for 5 years at a dose of 90mg recently went to jail! Tomorrow will be day 7 for him and I have yet to hear from him...what do I do? I could bail him out, but I'm afraid he will run back to the clinic! I know that if he can make it through the WD he would never go back to it! I'm not familiar with the WD, but know they are very intense! He is only 1 60lbs soaking wet when he went in...do the jails give a >>>>? Do they help someone like him? I only want the best for my brother, so any input would be great! Thanks alot guys and gals!

Anybody????

Anonymous Guest

Mattchew.
    Boy, that's a tough one. You said you haven't been able to talk to him to see where his mind is at? My husband is a prison guard and we've talked about people who have addictions that are in jail. You right, their priorities aren't to help people like your brother. We both feel that there should be programs inside to help addicts, so they wouldn't go back out and still be addicts, therefor probably still get into trouble and re-offend. Maybe by letting him sweat it out, he may get over the hump.
    Or you could bail him out and try to get him on Suboxone. I know it's another drug, but with Suboxone, you have a better chance of coming off, with a slow taper plan that's available here on this forum. I've never been on Methadone, but from what the people on this forum have said, is that it's easier to abuse than Suboxone. Even though both drugs are used as a tool for getting off opiates and other drugs, the subs don't allow the user to get "high" with the more they take. You usually can induce on subs between 2-4 mgs, and it then allows you to just feel normal, without the withdrawls. Then you stabilize for a period of time and then start the reduction or taper plan that's very tolerable.
    An addicts worst fear is going through withdrawls, so if you can talk to your brother, and offer him another way out off the Methadone merry go round, maybe this could be his rock bottom that makes him want to change what he is doing.
    Many of the Senior's here on the forum (people that have been where he is at, and are now clean) have a saying...
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
    The Methadone he is on isn't going to help him get clean, if it hasn't done that already.
    Best of luck to you. Keep posting and hopefully we can help you, help him.
    Michelle

Thank you for your response! I haven't talked to him in 7 days! I know he has wanted to get off the methadone, but he isn't mind strong at all! He has a court date set for this Thursday. I'm gonna wait until then and see how he looks! I want him to be clean, but I don't want him to die from withdraws! The Jailer told me that he doesn't even know who he is...is that normal?

TampaFlorida is offline Member

Hi Matthew,
    Please be aware that Methadone withdrawal is one of the hardest withdrawal out there. It took me about a month before I could feel somehow "normal". But after still feeling in moderate withdrawal after 30days, I decided to get on suboxone.
    I stayed on it for a while. I needed to be on it to get myself sorted out and stable.
    How long is he suppose to stay in jail? If that would be my brother, earnestly I would ask Him what he wants to do.
    Tuff it out or get on subs. It should be his decision just because if he's not ready to be off Methadone or to be clean off everything he will get right back on.
    No, it's not normal to be so confused that one would not even know his own name. He must be having a really bad time to say the least.
    Withdrawal cold turkey in jail is just inhumane to me and it would be one of my worst fears.
    Talk to him. He needs you.
    Let us know how he's doing.
    Ming23 likes this.

They have him in a medical room in the jail! I'm thinking that he is delirious at this point. If he gets out on day 10, what stage of WD will he be in? Is the worse behind him? What do I need to do to help him when he does get out?

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattchew33 View Post
    They have him in a medical room in the jail! I'm thinking that he is delirious at this point. If he gets out on day 10, what stage of WD will he be in? Is the worse behind him? What do I need to do to help him when he does get out?
    Hey Mattchew
    Sorry about your brother. If it were me, i would not leave my brother in jail. Like Rockandhardplace said, u could get him to a suboxone doctor after his release in order to finish his methadone detox. Like Tampa said, it's not over in 10 days and after a month she was still sick. If your brother comes out really sick, odds are he will seek relief somewhere. It would be good to have an appointment set up at a sub doctor ahead of time.
    Or he could just resume his spot at the methadone clinic.
    But i wouldn't leave an addict in jail to kick alone. I have found it does not deter one from using when we get out, rather, it leads us to actively seek out some relief after the ordeal.
    Better to be prepared with a plan. Return to clinic or visit sub doctor. But have a plan and get him out of there!!
    jmho

crazyfrog is offline Banned

Update? But >> leave him in. Let him hit wd in jail so it burns in his mind and finally quit. Im about 10 months clean of a 7 yr hydro binge.lol. never felt better in my life being off that >>>>.

He is still in jail at this point...I could bail him our for $150! I want to get him out, but, I don't know where his mind is! Our jail only allows visits if the inmate schedules it! Wtf is that! He hasn't called anyone and the jailers don't give me any information! How do I go out getting him in a suboxone clinic?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

He is still in jail at this point...I could bail him our for $150! I want to get him out, but, I don't know where his mind is! Our jail only allows visits if the inmate schedules it! Wtf is that! He hasn't called anyone and the jailers don't give me any information! How do I go out getting him in a suboxone clinic?

Hi Mattchew,

I'm sorry I missed this thread. Didn't see it or I would have responded much sooner. I can assure you without one shred of doubt that stopping abruptly from a 90mg dose of methadone will drive you insane. It won't kill you, but it will make you wish you were dead. Yes, it's that bad! You can't possibly imagine what he has went through if he wasn't able to get some relief while inside.

Yes, there are ways for him to get what he wants to take the edge off. Maybe the jail doctor could/would provide something, crooked guards, and inmates with the knowledge and power to get drugs from the outside to the inside. Not saying that happened in his case, but it is possible believe me.

Methadone has a very long half life which means it remains in your system a very long time. If he has not taken a thing since he was locked up the wd's could still be bothering him. Even after this lenght of time the wd's could still be hanging on.

I'm betting he has gotten nothing and is in real rough shape. That would seem the most likely scenario. Besides the physical effect of the wd's, the mental anguish is every bit as bad. Poor guy. I've been there, done that on this one.

If you decide to bail him out and he is in bad shape Suboxone could be a wise choice. I myself switched from methadone to suboxone because it's much easier to taper off. It changed my life from being an active addict for 18 years to now having over 1.5 years clean. If subs seem like something to consider then begin calling every sub doctor in your area. There are only allowed to have 100 patients at a time and most are at that number. If you could get an appt in advance that would be awesome. The moment you bail him out I would take him straight to the appt. Don't allow him time to get some other opiate.

If he could join this forum I/we could help him get on and off the subs correctly. Many of these so called sub doctors have no clue how to prescribe this med. They put patients on extremely high doses and want to keep them on it for years. Definitely not the way to do it. I'll help you all I can if subs is the way you go. You can always post for him and relay the info or have him read without joining if that works better.

I'm giving you the link to our sub plan used here. Read it over and educate yourself….

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

This plan works! Please keep us updated because we care about you and him. We're here to help and support the both of you. Wishing you the best. Your a good guy for looking after your brother. I'll check back later.

Randy
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Mattchew
    Well, now you've heard it from Randy--get your brother out of jail! Take him to a sub doctor who you've made an appt with beforehand. Get him out now.
    Now.

Thank you for the info Randy...I will read up on this and start trying to find him a suboxone clinic asap! He finally tried to call today, but it was a collect call and my cell wouldn't accept it! I bought him a $25 phone card, so hopefully they will tell him and he will call again! Thanks for your support on this terrible situation!
    Ming23 likes this.

CBlack0 is offline New Member

Thank you for the info Randy...I will read up on this and start trying to find him a suboxone clinic asap! He finally tried to call today, but it was a collect call and my cell wouldn't accept it! I bought him a $25 phone card, so hopefully they will tell him and he will call again! Thanks for your support on this terrible situation!
    90 mg wow.. you need to bring him out asap and set up and appointment.
    Like someone said, right about now, he's wishing he was dead ... this can get painstakingly painful