Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes
Need tapering schedule or advice
    Outdoorsman50 is offline Junior Member

Default Need tapering schedule or advice

I have been taking hydrocodone for 3 years now and ready to get off them.
    The last few months I've been talking about 15 per day.
    I need a tapering schedule can someone please help.
    Ready to quit.

Anonymous Guest

15 mg per day or 15 pills per day?

15 pills per day.

15 pills per day.
    I thank you for any support you can give me.
    I have kelp this to my self for 3 years now and if feels good just to get it out and talk about it.

Lastchance186 is offline Member

Hello Outdoorsman

gets kind of quiet around here at night sometimes, someone will be along soon to help you with a taper plan or give some advice....

Thank you lastchance186.

OD,

How much confidence do you have in successfully tapering down? It takes a ton of will power to do so. I know as I have both tapered after my first bout with the Oxy. Went from about 180 mg down to zero in about a six week period. Basically cut it in half the whole way down by week. Needed the help of my wife controlling the pills that time around. The second time, I tried and tried but just found myself tapering until my next script or reup. Ultimately ended up doing a quick taper 120-100-90-70-60-30 by day and jumped after the 30 cold turkey. Tapers suck because you basically feel some type of withdrawal symptoms the entire time until you balance out in your taper dose. It can't be done and I have done both. I am 48 days clean at the moment even managed to stay off the pain Meds after I broke three ribs and collapsed a lung 2 weeks ago. Ain't no easy feat because darn it hurts. We are here to help anyway we can. If you really want this you can do it either way. I can out line what I did with my taper. It was rather quick but worked. All my opiate usage was a result of back surgeries and complication afterward but I realized it was spiraling out of control, this last time after about a year and 3 months on the oxy. My back feels better than it ever did during my time in the pain Meds. I was addicted. We're here for you!

Turn the page, walk away!

RJ
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-21-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks tired of the cycle for responding.
    I would appreciate it if you would out line the taper that you done.
    I am ready to get off these things and know I can do it.
    I am tired of the control these pills have on my life.
    I think this blog is going to help me do this.
    Again thanks for the support and thanks for sharing your story.
    snwilkerson and Ming23 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Good Morning,

As RJ said, tapering can be tough. I never could do it. If your tabs are 5mg each, that would be a total of 75mg/day. I don't know if you have it in you to try, but a cold turkey is totally doable. Step 1: Flush what you have and break all ties to any way to get more including letting your doctor know that you can't have them anymore. That's hard but also very liberating. You're making a commitment and making it much harder to come by more in a weak moment.

I know it doesn't feel like it, but the amount you're taking isn't that large. I, and plenty of others here, have jumped cold turkey from much higher amounts. 5 days and you're done. You can expect bathroom issues that Immodium will take care of nicely, being weak, unable to sleep much, probably some restless legs and aches. Very much like the flu. You can find the Thomas Recipe here that will help some of the symptoms. 5 days (and Day 1 was never that bad for me until night time) and you'll be done!

The other option, depending upon how quickly you can manage to do a taper would be to cut one pill today. You probably won't even feel it. In a couple of days, drop one more. It honestly depends on how you can handle things. Some folks need to go slowly dropping one pill per week. The first few drops, you'll be fine. The slower you go, the better you'll feel. You can taper all the way off or get down to a lower daily usage like 20 or 30mg/day and then just jump off. You'll probably still have some symptoms but hopefully they won't be as bad. If you taper the entire way, and depending how quickly or slowly you do it will dictate how much discomfort you have. It takes tons of discipline and patience but can be done. I, for one never had the discipline or patience and would much rather just dive in and get it over with.

Keep posting. We'll support you either way. In the meantime, figure out what kind of recovery work you're going to do. Your chances of staying clean will increase tremendously by doing the work. Meetings, church, therapy, something else. Whatever you want to do. Getting off these things is the easier part. Staying off is where the real work comes in.

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 likes this.

Hello Cat,

I am taking 10 mg. Pills.
    I am going to taper first. Reading all the stories and the response to my thread is very inspiring to me.
    I know it's won't be easy cause I have to work everyday. But I'm going to do this.
    Going to start today with 8 pills and go from there.
    I'll post at end of day.
    Thanks for all the help, I truly appreciate it.

Aha. OK that makes a difference. I was taking more than that at my peak and still survived cold turkey. It's not for everyone for sure. I hope you get through today cutting to 80 mg total. It shouldn't be awful. You'll know as you progress through your taper how quickly or slowly you'll have to do this. Cardinal rule: Once you make a drop, stick with it and don't go back up...ever!!! It may take you a few days to adjust to the lower dose and that's where you have to put on your big boy panties. Just grit your teeth and be patient and you will adjust. Say comfortable for a day or two and then drop again. Again, you'll figure out how much you can drop and still function. Don't be in a hurry or you'll defeat the entire process. If things get too rough it just may be time to jump and get it done. I always say when it's time to jump, take your last dose on Thursday night. You'll be OK until Friday night and then have the weekend to get through most of it.

Just be patient and stubborn. Once you drop, there's no going back to a previous dose.

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 and Lastchance186 like this.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-22-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Sorry, I new to this post.
    I'm trying to make it through the day. So far I have done 7 pills today and feeling a little weird.
    Going to make it today I hope and start a new day tomorrow.
    Catrina likes this.

Absolutely. It's the only thing we can do and that's to just make it through today. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you some rest tonight. Will check on you later or tomorrow.

Peace,

Cat
    Lastchance186 and Ming23 like this.

Well I make it my first day taking 8 pills.
    When you think about it 8 pills is a lot.
    I didn't realize how depend I am on these things or keep count on how many I was taking, just grab the bottle.
    Today was different, I kelp count and will each day foward.
    I really has to give it everything I had to cut back.
    A new day tomorrow.
    Cat, thank you for supporting. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.
    Ming23 likes this.

I make it my second day taking 8 pills.
    I can't believe I let myself get in this situation. When will my body level out on this so I can drop again? So ready to get off there things.
    Lastchance186 likes this.

Hello
    Outdoors man,
    I know the feeling 20ish years of using, wow time flies... I am glad you are make the attempt to rid yourself of the pills.
    I think a lot of people don't know what going on with themselves when it comes to them...Doc gave to me I am going to take them... You slowly notice your life is not what it use to be...

The first step has been taken, congrats to you keep going... I already see you have been given some great advice...Cat is wonderful and knowledgeable along with others that will be cheering you on....

Keep going don't give in because it so much better without them...

Hello
    Last chance,
    Thanks for the support and others as well. And yes Cat is wonderful and knowledgeable, I thank you guys so much for the support, no one in my family knows about my addiction so I had to get it out and tell someone. I found this site and its been the best thing ever. There's no way I would be trying to end my addiction with out this site I think I would have just kelp going until something bad happen. I have a ways to go but at least I have started. A big jump from 150 mg to 80mg. Third day is today wish me luck!!!!!
    spacie1985, Ming23 and Catrina like this.

Hello Outdoorsman

You are very welcome.. Yes this site is wonderful with all the positive support here... That is a big Jump wow look at you we just support you but all the hard work you are doing that! So pat yourself on the back as well.....

People will read your page and get inspiration from you keep going before you know it will be all a thing of the past....

Good Luck

You got this in this...
    spacie1985 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Outdoorsman
    Yes. This site is a Godsend. It's saved many people's lives, mine included. Keep doing what you're doing and listen to Cat. She knows all about pills and is generous with her time and experience.
    The mental part of any detox can be challenging. Know that we're all here to support you and feel free to express your situation.
    I whined all the way down. Lol
    Here for ya!

You're doing very well! Dropping by around 50% first drop would be difficult but you're doing it. You're stronger than you thought you were. Just stay put until you feel better. It may take a couple/three more days but it's important especially this time to adjust to your new, much lower dose. I can tell you're motivated.

Keep us updated. Depending upon how long this drop takes to get comfortable and how you are able to handle it, it will be up to you how much you want to reduce the next time. We'll deal with that when the time comes. If you need a break and need to stay at your current dose for a few days after you feel better, take it. The best way to get through this is to take it slowly if you still need to work, etc. Are you having any physical symptoms or is it primarily anxiety? If not already, sleep will likely become an issue especially if you really want to make big reductions every time. Mind you, I'm a cold turkey gal so I applaud you for your decision! The reason I ask is that if sleep and other symptoms begin to get in your way, then I would say just jump and let the healing begin! The other option is slowing down. Your journey, your call.

Peace,

Cat

Hello everyone,

Today just had to be a tuff day at work..
    I worked 12hr. and it was terrible, but the good news is I make it sticking to my plan of taking 80mg. It was not easy I kelp going back to what Cat said " Cardinal Rule" once you drop never go back up that kelp me going.
    I feel like the fog has lifted from mine, I can think better now that I'm not staying high all day. I am having physical symptoms noise running, joint pain and bathroom issues let's don't even go there. Lol.
    I am sleeping ok.
    I am going to stick with 80mg for the next 3 days then drop to 70mg for a few days and take it from there. I want this bad so going to take it slow.
    Ya'll don't know how muck I appreciate the support of help me get clean, and when I do I will pay it foward.
    Please keep posting....
    Ming23 and spacie1985 like this.

I can't believe I have made it to day Five on my plan to get off hydrocodone. WOW!! I know it's just a start but it's a big step for me.
    I get up in the morning and the pupils in my eyes are large haven't seen that in mounts. Noise running, joint pain and bathroom. Still taking 80mg but like I said that is a lot better than 150+. I am trying very hard.
    A couple of me buddies and God only knew the fun I had getting high on pills, but in time I had to try and stop this madness. It's gets out of control so fast as time goes on.
    I have a ways to go but I have started My journey.
    Thanks
    spacie1985 and Ming23 like this.

Congrats for making it this far. This first reduction is pretty amazing. It's funny you mention your eyes. For a very long time, I'd take a moment every morning and admire how bright and clear my eyes were with enormous pupils that I had forgotten about. I'd promise myself that I would get through today and that's aside from all the other motivators, I didn't want to lose those windows to the world again. Even if it's just for today.

Good going so far!

Peace,

Cat

Cat

I made it through day five. As the day went on I found myself not thinking of pills. I can leave my house how and not take a hand full of pills with me. I actually took 70 mg today instead of 80 mg. I know that's still a lot but it's a big jump for me. Monday I am going to make my second reduction 70 mg or 60 mg I don't know yet. I hope I here from you before Monday with some of your great advice on that , but if I don't I will make a decision.
    I feel so much better in my head. My mine is so much cleaner. Body still hurts. And yes my pupils are large in the morning. I like to see that. Lol.
    Cat,
    You give such great advice not only to me but others as well and I thank you so much for that.
    When I have time to post I say to myself I got to go talk to my Angel.
    You are a Angel, helping me save my life with your words. You know this stuff......

Thank you so much!!!
    Ming23 likes this.

I make it through day 6. My plan was to take 80mg until today the drop, but I took 70mg yesterday so I new I could make it on 70mg today.
    Going to take 70mg for two more days then drop again. I felt bretty good today. cant sleep tonight. I have away to go but I'm on my way of being clean. Not saying it is easy, just got to be strong and make it happen.

Thanks for the support !!

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Outdoorsman
    Hang in there! You're doing great! Yes, try not to go up in dose. The body will adjust.
    I took melatonin to help me fall asleep. And i take a B Complex during the day.
    You're right-the mind begins clearing. We don't even realize how foggy we'd become until the fog begins lifting!
    You'll never regret deciding to make this change!
    Rooting for you!
    spacie1985 likes this.

Good Morning,

You're right. There is no easy way to do this so we have to choose a way that will work best for us and run with it. I think that 10mg drops is reasonable. Just be sure to allow yourself to adjust to it before you make another drop so it doesn't get too uncomfortable. Yes. It won't be perfect but it's working. You've made incredible progress in just a week. So long as your supply isn't an issue, take the time you need to feel comfortable before you make a drop. As you get lower, you may have to make smaller reductions but maybe not you sound pretty strong to me.

If and when the going gets tough, as it just might, once you're down to a lower dose, you might want to make the decision to take your last dose on a Thursday night. Get through Friday and have the weekend to get through some of the worst of it. That's what I'd do if the symptoms get rough. You'll know when you're ready. The bathroom stuff can be handled easily with Immodium when that begins to happen, if it hasn't already. If you find you're not sleeping even after staying at the same dose for a week or so, that just might be the time and you may as well just get it over with. The other option would be to slow down.

So long as you're tapering, you are apt to have some symptoms more days than not. That's the killer of a taper but if you can do it, more power to you!!! The goal is to remain functional. Cold turkey (my choice because I never had the discipline to taper) will cause more acute symptoms but the worst of it will be over in less than a week. We all have to march to our own drummer and do it our own way. There isn't a right or wrong way only the way that works for us.

Keep us posted. Let me know how you're feeling and what symptoms you have. If it were me, I'd get myself to below 30 per day and take enough time to be mostly symptom free and then be done but it's your choice. Hope you have a good day.

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 likes this.

Hello,
    I just got off work another long day. Good news is I make it another day taking 70mg.
    I feel proud and ashame at the same time. Proud of sticking with my plan and ashame to say I took 70mg , but I am a lot better off than I was 7 day ago.
    Tapering is very hard one voice telling you go on take 3 or 4 feel good the other telling you hang in there. I chose to hang in.
    I have enough to taper off haven't broke that supply chain yet, but can't wait!
    Going to take 70mg a couple more days let my body adjust then drop again.

You guys, I am so grateful for you sharing your knowledge and support!
    Thank you so much and please keep posting I need the support.
    I can't wait to get off these pills.

Good choice to stay put for at least a couple more days. Tapering works best if you can give it enough time to adjust and have a good day or two and then move on. It just gets too hard and if you're not stable (little to no symptoms) you'll just be in a constant state of withdrawal and the symptoms will just get worse and worse the lower you get. I can't say it strong enough that you have to feel fairly well before you reduce or the rest of the ride is going to be tougher than it needs to be. The whole point of a taper is to allow yourself time to adjust.

The old devil on one shoulder and angel on the other, Those addict voices. They do go away.

Keep on posting!

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast