Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Needing advice for urges to use
    StonerGirl420 is offline New Member

Default Needing advice for urges to use

Hello I'm new here. Idk where to start, I've been lurking on this page since day 1. I'm going on day 27 clean from opioids. I started using very young, and decided to quit many years later after it took over my life. I was only using 1-2 5mg hydros every 2-3 days for a couple years. Then my usage increased after my grandmother passed away. Then it went to anywhere from 2-10 everyday for months. I went cold turkey no reduction. This form got me thru the first couple weeks. I still have the urge to use everyday. I didnt have access to opioids for the last few weeks, but a day ago my mother injured herself and was prescribed codiene. She knows I have a problem and hid it somewhere in the house. I have lost motivation and I'm so close to go on a scavenger hunt. Everything hurts just thinking about it. Idk if anyone uses this forum anymore but, how do you guys cope with urges?

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StonerGirl420 View Post
    Hello I'm new here. Idk where to start, I've been lurking on this page since day 1. I'm going on day 27 clean from opioids. I started using very young, and decided to quit many years later after it took over my life. I was only using 1-2 5mg hydros every 2-3 days for a couple years. Then my usage increased after my grandmother passed away. Then it went to anywhere from 2-10 everyday for months. I went cold turkey no reduction. This form got me thru the first couple weeks. I still have the urge to use everyday. I didnt have access to opioids for the last few weeks, but a day ago my mother injured herself and was prescribed codiene. She knows I have a problem and hid it somewhere in the house. I have lost motivation and I'm so close to go on a scavenger hunt. Everything hurts just thinking about it. Idk if anyone uses this forum anymore but, how do you guys cope with urges?
    Hello stonergirl welcome to the forum...
    Congratulations on 27 days clean you should be Proud of yourself...
    Getting and staying clean will be one of the hardest things you will ever do for yourself... Did you or are you getting face to face support Na, Aa thearpy, counseling? Please keep posting we are all here to support you. You can get threw this tell yourself it's just a feeling this too shall pass. You have a choice today you can give in to those thoughts or let it pass... Free and clean from opiates is the best choice I have ever made... You are stronger than that litter pill...

ChiefChe is offline Senior Member

Hi StonerGirl-

Welcome to the forum & Congrats 27 Days!!! I second what Lvg said this is the hardest thing you will ever do for yourself but it Will be the Most Rewarding. Opiates are very cunning & will try to lure you back in every chance they get. As you rack up the clean days those craving will become fewer & fewer until you don’t give them a second thought. When those cravings hit you need to dig down deep & make that choice to take the next step forward. It helps to make a Pros & Cons list. I know when I got the cravings I would try to rationalize (light weight glorify) using & always ended up at the same bottom line: One is too many & a thousand is never enough. Says it all b/c My Addict Self would love that 1 soooo much that I just knew I would want another & another and can’t forget about some for tomorrow & the next day too. I knew there was no way I could get a supply big enough to contain me so I just gave up on the craving all together & the moment passed.

Keep strong & keep fighting!! I’m so happy you made a thread! Keep reading & posting!

There Is Power In Numbers,

❤️
    Che

geemus123 is offline New Member

Hey StonerGirl,
    what you have achieved so far is phenomenal. I'm in the UK, and so i'm not very clued up on Hydros, but they seem hellish to break free from. In doing what you've done, you have given yourself the best chance possible at living 'on the other side'. The mental battle is relentless, I know, and the cravings can be maddening. Most of the weekend I was fighting myself - the devil on my shoulder telling me how much more i'd enjoy living if I was doped up on codeine again. What I did was this - I played out a scenario in my head..what if I did use? How would I feel? That Saturday with my son in the park..would I enjoy it more if I was full of pills. I played out the whole day, and I knew that if I used, i'd get to the nighttime, feeling sick, tired, ashamed, angry, defeated, back to square one. So, so negative, and I convinced myself that it simply didn't make sense to use. So I didn't. I don't know if this is helpful, or mindless drivel, but it helped me to play out the drug-taking scenario in my head, and quickly realising it was the wrong choice.

Wishing you all the best,

Gee.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Congratulations!

Thank Goodness your Mom knows your weakness. I think we all find our own way to fight the cravings and temptations. I also think that every single one of us totally understand how this feels. We felt it too. That craving often is an obsession to meet that goal of getting our hands on something. It becomes pervasive and freezes us to almost everything else. So, what worked best for me was to look at it for what it was and then reaffirm my commitment to not use. At least-not today!! I knew I could get through today and at that moment, that's all I wanted. Just today. I'd give myself permission to reconsider it all tomorrow.

Talk to your Mom. Be honest and let her know that you're biting your hands to try and stop the hunt. In stead of hiding them, ask that she keep them with her every single minute. If she leaves, take them. If she's home, they're in her pocket. Ask her to let you know when they're gone. My guess is that her doctor didn't give her many (they usually don't) and so long as she has no problem with them, she'll be OK to just flush them when she doesn't need them anymore. It won't be long before this won't be as hard but for now, you just have to do whatever mental gyrations you need to do to get through the moment.

You're doing great!!

Peace,

Cat
    geemus123 likes this.

StonerGirl420 is offline New Member

Thank you all for responding. Sorry for the late reply. For starters I'd like to say I buckled down and went to therapy. But a special kind for people with borderline personality disorder, but also helps with substance abuse. It's only once a week so it kinda drives me crazy in between appoiments. I got to day 37 clean but once out of three searches I found em. I only took one out of the two there. I guess I could say it's a bad day and it won't stop me. I haven't had one since. I can't say sorry I can't hate myself I have to accept it was a mistake. But Tbh I've been over thinking lately. Over playing every horrible thing that's happened in my life. Then I just hate myself so much for everything I have yet to accept. At times like these I'd normally use to cope. I really hope this DBT therapy works I'm really nervous.

OnTheWay is offline Member

I read something the other day that helped me a lot.

If you get the urge. Give yourself 30 minutes. I don't care how bad it hurts. Give yourself 30 minutes to think it through. I am in no way encouraging you relapse after the 30 min, but promise yourself the 30 minute buffer. It has helped me get past cravings.