• 3 Post By rennie86
  • 2 Post By iloerose
  • 2 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Stuckinthemud
  • 1 Post By findingmeagain
  • 1 Post By rennie86
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By findingmeagain
Needing help & support with starting Suboxone taper. I'm terrified of withdrawal..
    findingmeagain is offline Junior Member

Default Needing help & support with starting Suboxone taper. I'm terrified of withdrawal..

Hey everybody, this is the first new thread I've created. I'm not new to the site, I've been reading forums and questions for a long time searching for helpful info about breaking free from suboxone. I apologize if i ramble on too much. I'm so tired of living my life depending on it. I was always the girl who didn't do drugs, didn't want others around me to and thought people who did were bad people. I realize now that judging others the way I did could quite possibly be why I became everything i hated. I was young and nieve and had seen drugs destroy my family.

A few months after a bad breakup with the man I was supposed to marry, we decided we'd try and work things out..only problem was that he'd been hooking up with a girl and she was now carrying his child. My world was crushed. I became very depressed. For months and months I didn't even leave the house except when I had to. 6 months later I was just numb. I felt like there was nothing on earth that mattered to me anymore. What was the point in anything if I'd never be with him? He was my first everything and we were together for 5 years. I was 22 at the time.

I was offered a line of percocet one day and just said sure why not? Not like I had anything to lose. If I'd have only known. After that day there were ppl around me doing pills everyday, they were free, they offered, I accepted.. i guess that happened for a couple weeks or longer and one day I woke up feeling like I had the flu.. i was hooked.. someone had to tell me that what I was feeling was withdrawal. It scared the hell out of me but instead of dealing with it, I did another pill..Fast forward 2 years, I'm still doing pills but hating life and wanting to stop but not knowing how. I was always strong willed and in control until this.

I was introduced to subs and started using them to try and get off pills. It didn't work as I'd hoped and now I've been on the strips for about 6 to 8 months. I'm up to 8mg/day and I want to be done. I want my life back! I want to be ME again! I feel like joining the sub support group could really help me. This is my last resort. I have discovered that I'm not strong enough to do it on my own and I don't have a support group in my life. My bf is on pain pills still, my mom doesn't take anything seriously and my dad doesn't know. I hope he never does! Drugs are all around me. Where I live there isn't much else to do and everyone is hooked on something.

I'm so sorry if I said too much about my life and situation, wasn't really sure what exactly to include in this.

If anyone knows an effective taper plan that has minimal withdrawal, please share it with me. I am reaching out to everyone who has been here or is still here in this hell that is addiction. We need to be here for each other and since I've joined the site I've seen so much love and understanding as well as willingness to help throughout the process.

I'd seen so many older posts referencing Patti and Roberts taper plans but was never able to find either of them. If someone has them and would share I'd really appreciate it.

rennie86 is offline Member

Hi there! You are in the right place. You will be taken care of here. There are many people with experience in tapering off of subs here! I'm sure they will be by soon to lend you some good advice. You will be ok!

Robert's taper plan is located in the "Suboxone Treatment" section. It is a "sticky" at the very top of the page. Someone will probably paste a link to it for you. I would, but don't know how while I'm on my phone... I'm sorry.

The taper plan suggests dropping your dose by 25% every 4 or so days. Some people need 1-2 weeks at each dose. The object is to stabilize at each dose before dropping again. Stabilization means little to no withdrawal symptoms. Once you get down to .25mg, or lower if you can, you can skip days then jump. There are many many people here who have followed this plan and are now clean and free of Suboxone!

I am currently tapering myself. I am down to .6mg a day and plan to drop down to .5mg on Monday. I promise you, it hasn't been bad! I've had my moments but a lot of it has been anxiety and fear of withdrawal but I haven't experienced any unbearable symptoms yet! I like to describe the symptoms as "annoying" but I can handle annoying. I plan on going as low as I possibly can before I jump but I'm getting close! Oh, and I've been on subs for a little over 4 years now. That's a long time! I spend 1-2 weeks at each dose, depending on how I feel.

Keep posting; it definitely helps! You will get a lot of support from a lot of great people. Hang in there & stick around!

I'll check back in tomorrow!

-Renee

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hey, there!!!! Here is the sub taper:

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

Read this carefully and then go to the Suboxone Treatment board and make a thread! You can keep this one, but the sub board has more traffic and many more people doing the same thing you are doing. Renee is a member on that board. Also, don't worry about what you post. This is YOUR thread and you can include anything you need to get off your chest, as long as you don't swear, LOL. (moderators keep a good eye out).

Anyways, since you are at 8mg. we'll make that your starting point. How do you feel at 8mg.? Any symptoms? If not, you can go ahead and taper down to 6mg. You are going to get through this!!!

Peace,

Iloerose
    Randy35 and findingmeagain like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Here's the link to Robert's sub plan for you below -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Basically you reduce the doses by 25% every 4 days or until you're stable on a dose. It could take 3 or 6 days sometimesm aybe 7 depending on if you're stable or not. Read theough the plan, skipping the first part which is for the induction which you've already done of course.

Lots of help and support here for you!

The first thing is to get that dose down. That 8mg per day is just too much sub. Sub is strong, very strong. And it's not like other drugs, and especially not like other opiates. The less sub you're taking usually the better you will be feeling. And you'll discover that once you're down to around 1-2mg that will hold you just as the 8mg does. Hard to figure and believe, but very true for most of us.

I would suggest you reduce down by 25% to 6mg right away. Remain at that dose for those 4 days and if you're stable and feeling good then it's ok to reduce again by 25%. If you're not stable after those 4 days then stay where you are a day or two longer. Sometimes it takes a day or two when we reduce for our bodies to adjust to the new dose. Sometimes it doesn't. We're al different.

Just follow the plan and you'll be off soon with very few problems. Let us know if you have any questions. We're here to help and support!

-Randy

HA, Iloerose and I posted at the same time! Same advice though!

Stuckinthemud is offline New Member

I totally agree..I feel better at 2mg than I did at ridiculously high amounts like 16-24mg..the ceiling effect is Subs advantage for you.
    findingmeagain likes this.

Thanks so much Renee, it means alot. I haven't really mastered navigating the site yet. I wanted to post my thread in the suboxone support group section but it ended up being here lol so I'll have to familiarize myself more.

Seeing so many responses and how much you all are willing and wanting to help, means so much to me. I'm not used to that in everyday life when it comes to my addiction because most people don't know and those who do are addicts and don't think they have a problem or that mine is anything I should seek help for..

Someone was gracious enough to post the link to roberts taper plan, thanks for trying and for explaining it to me. It sounds doable. Congratulations on coming this far! You're doing great and I respect and admire that. I'm sure in no time we'll be talking about magnificent it is to be completely off subs and living sober!

Another thing that I haven't really sat down and calculated is the smaller doses. I always go by the 8mg strip, each quarter is 2mg, so 1/2 a quarter 1 mg. .after that I'm kinda lost. I felt dumb writing that just now. Math has never been my strong suit.

I will keep posting, thanks for the support. Look forward to hearing back from ya

iloerose thanks for the link. I've looked everywhere for it. I'll check it out carefully. I meant to post my thread in the suboxone treatment board but I'm not great at navigating the site yet. I don't always take 8mg, mostly it's more like 6 and I don't have any symptoms there. It's scary to think of stepping down a little, I don't know why. But I'm going to.

I'll stick to 6 and keep everyone posted on how it's going. Thanks so much again for caring.

Thanks Randy for the link to his taper plan. I've tried to find it since I joined and I was very interested in it after reading how much it helped others.
    I know 8mg is way too much and the sad thing is that up until about a month ago I was only taking around 2 a day. I just kept taking more each day and when I didn't feel any different from it I kept doing it. It's no excuse, but I am miserable in my day to day life and I just wanted to have energy and feel good. Things at home aren't going to be better until I change them but in order to so that I realize that I have to get clean and take my life back.

I'm so happy and relieved to have people that are there for me. It is so important! Gives me a reason to really try.

I'm going to go to 6 tomorrow and I'll keep everyone posted.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

rennie86 is offline Member

Hey Findingme! Just wanted to check in and see how today has been going for you?
    findingmeagain likes this.

Hey Renee! Today I took 5 mg and have felt just fine. Better than I've felt in a while. No symptoms, but I doubt there would be. I feel like tomorrow I could do 4.. is it a good idea to do that or should I stick with 5 for the recommended time? I don't want to get ahead of myself. What do ya think? And how are you today? Hope your Sunday was great! Look forward to hearing from ya

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by findingmeagain View Post
    Hey Renee! Today I took 5 mg and have felt just fine. Better than I've felt in a while. No symptoms, but I doubt there would be. I feel like tomorrow I could do 4.. is it a good idea to do that or should I stick with 5 for the recommended time? I don't want to get ahead of myself. What do ya think? And how are you today? Hope your Sunday was great! Look forward to hearing from ya

When the taper plan is rushed or hurried is usually when problems start. Sticking close to it it advised. Reduce by 25% every 4 or so days if you're stable and feeling well with no symptoms. Then reduce again by 25% and keep repeating that same process.

You really should have went down to 6mg, but 5 is ok if you wait to get completely stable. Then continue with that. I've seen many get in a hurry and it usually backfires. You want this to be as pianless as possible. Following the plan will accomplish that for you!

-Randy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-18-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    alexnt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    When the taper plan is rushed or hurried is usually when problems start. Sticking close to it it advised. Reduce by 25% every 4 or so days if you're stable and feeling well with no symptoms. Then reduce again by 25% and keep repeating that same process.

You really should have went down to 6mg, but 5 is ok if you wait to get completely stable. Then continue with that. I've seen many get in a hurry and it usually backfires. You want this to be as pianless as possible. Following the plan will accomplish that for you!

-Randy
    Thanks Randy, that's what I wasn't sure about. I don't want to do anything to prolong this any further or cause myself unnecessary pain and discomfort. I'll stay where I'm at to be sure I'm stabilized and then go lower.
    alexnt and iloerose like this.

Stuckinthemud is offline New Member

...yeah & sometimes when you reduce the Sub too suddenly for eg. trying to go from 8mg to 2mg really quickly you might experience a bit of anxiety & withdrawal. Don't worry it's normal and just the 1/2 life of Bup catching up. It will soon stabilise. But to avoid the anxiety just take it back up a little.

For eg. 8mg to 6mg to 4mg (anxious) take it up to 5mg and stabilise there for a week or 2. Then start coming back down again.

When down to 1mg or 2mg you won't get the higher HIGHS and lower LOW Feelings that you do in between "higher doses." But take your time getting down to 1mg/2mg to avoid anxiety.

(But that's just my experience reducing Sub but I've read many others have done it the same way)
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-22-2015 at 10:38 PM.

gogo83 is offline New Member

Hi! Omg i can totally relate to you girl. Im so sorry. Im there with you, so you are not alone. I myself was addicted to pills off and on for 5 yrs and started taking suboxen to get off. Ive been on this sub for over a yr now and down to 2mg, last week dropped to 1mg. But starting to feel blahhhh and scared of what could come. Done this before once 2 yrs ago. Went to 5 days detox and when i got home i threw up for one week straight and went to Er twice, all after detox too. I was sooo drugged at detox i felt fine so i was released but hell started when i was home. Why? I made it thru but month later relapsed and here i am today down to 1/8 strip and feeling it. Help!!!!

mvchick78 is offline Member

Hey finding me again! I had to drop a post to you bcuz like you I am going thru the same thing! I was hooked on Vicodin after a back surgery and found myself on suboxone after a day of detox off the Vicodin. It was so horrible I had to do the suboxone. I didn't know any better and I have now been on it for over two years! I found this site and realized just how bad this stuff is for is and how hard it would be to get off. It took me a year before I posted, but something I realized is I only focused on the bad threads out there! Anyways, I am here to tell u this taper plan works! I was originally on 16 mgs for a year! Then about a year ago I started my taper and have been super successful! I am not off this yet but 8 days away from being free of this drug! Here's what I did and remember I hadn't read these threads when I first tapered so my way is wrong but it worked! I went right from 16 mgs to 8 mgs! For one day I felt irritable next day normal! That was a walk in the park! Then from 8mg I went to 4mg then to 2 mg to 1 mg to .50! At that point I thought I had my filmed cut so small I could jump! Silly me underestimating the power of this drug went thru 5 days of depression, anxiety, guy issues, migraines, and worst of all RLS! Now I came and posted my first thread (just weeks ago if that) these guys jumped right on to help me. I got my tiny pieces back out, set them aside, and followed what they told me. Which was take tweezers and nail scissors and cut in half til u get 16 pieces which amount to .50 and just see what dose I jumped at. When I realized my pieces were cut to the .50 I knew why I went into withdrawl. I immediately cut those .50 in half for .125 and started back on them (which at that time I couldn't get past taking steps back) I prolonged it thinking one more day and this will be over! Well now I see how stupid that was! I was only prolonging my recovery! The day I went back to that .125 I felt fine all issues went away. Today is my first day cutting the .125 in half so 4 more days if I feel stable I will skip my days as Robert talks about and be done! Now I am telling u all this do u don't make the mistake I did and set urself back like that! Remember this drug is strong but you are stronger! Mind over matter every day! The gym helpsr a lot! If I have anxiety I go to gym and rest of day I feel happy! Immodium has been a blessing as well. Every time I tapered I never had any WD's other than diarrhea (sorry to be gross) the WD I experienced was from stopping cold turkey WHICH IS NOT the way to go! Follow their plan and I have no doubt we will both be successful!! Good luck and keep us posted! I will be rooting for u from my side! I will let u know how my jump was when I do it! If u r anything like me, I wanna know every detail about what I am suppose to expect! I know we r all different but I've always felt I was super sensitive to WD's! Lol I know that sounds funny, maybe I am weaker then most but they scared the h$ll out of me! Alright, I am done rambling! Wish u the best! Prayers coming your way girl!

mvchick78 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mvchick78 View Post
    Hey finding me again! I had to drop a post to you bcuz like you I am going thru the same thing! I was hooked on Vicodin after a back surgery and found myself on suboxone after a day of detox off the Vicodin. It was so horrible I had to do the suboxone. I didn't know any better and I have now been on it for over two years! I found this site and realized just how bad this stuff is for is and how hard it would be to get off. It took me a year before I posted, but something I realized is I only focused on the bad threads out there! Anyways, I am here to tell u this taper plan works! I was originally on 16 mgs for a year! Then about a year ago I started my taper and have been super successful! I am not off this yet but 8 days away from being free of this drug! Here's what I did and remember I hadn't read these threads when I first tapered so my way is wrong but it worked! I went right from 16 mgs to 8 mgs! For one day I felt irritable next day normal! That was a walk in the park! Then from 8mg I went to 4mg then to 2 mg to 1 mg to .50! At that point I thought I had my filmed cut so small I could jump! Silly me underestimating the power of this drug went thru 5 days of depression, anxiety, guy issues, migraines, and worst of all RLS! Now I came and posted my first thread (just weeks ago if that) these guys jumped right on to help me. I got my tiny pieces back out, set them aside, and followed what they told me. Which was take tweezers and nail scissors and cut in half til u get 16 pieces which amount to .50 and just see what dose I jumped at. When I realized my pieces were cut to the .50 I knew why I went into withdrawl. I immediately cut those .50 in half for .125 and started back on them (which at that time I couldn't get past taking steps back) I prolonged it thinking one more day and this will be over! Well now I see how stupid that was! I was only prolonging my recovery! The day I went back to that .125 I felt fine all issues went away. Today is my first day cutting the .125 in half so 4 more days if I feel stable I will skip my days as Robert talks about and be done! Now I am telling u all this do u don't make the mistake I did and set urself back like that! Remember this drug is strong but you are stronger! Mind over matter every day! The gym helpsr a lot! If I have anxiety I go to gym and rest of day I feel happy! Immodium has been a blessing as well. Every time I tapered I never had any WD's other than diarrhea (sorry to be gross) the WD I experienced was from stopping cold turkey WHICH IS NOT the way to go! Follow their plan and I have no doubt we will both be successful!! Good luck and keep us posted! I will be rooting for u from my side! I will let u know how my jump was when I do it! If u r anything like me, I wanna know every detail about what I am suppose to expect! I know we r all different but I've always felt I was super sensitive to WD's! Lol I know that sounds funny, maybe I am weaker then most but they scared the h$ll out of me! Alright, I am done rambling! Wish u the best! Prayers coming your way girl!
    First of all I apologize for not spellchecking this! I hope u get the point. I had gut issues not guy lol! And I cut my .50 into .25 and today am cutting it into .125! Geez I'm sorry that post was terrible! That's the first time I've answered on someone's thread lol! Next time I will spellcheck before sending! If u ever wanna talk look me up on here. Not sure if u can as I don't know this site very well yet but I'll be watching your thread!

elljay111user is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mvchick78 View Post
    First of all I apologize for not spellchecking this! I hope u get the point. I had gut issues not guy lol! And I cut my .50 into .25 and today am cutting it into .125! Geez I'm sorry that post was terrible! That's the first time I've answered on someone's thread lol! Next time I will spellcheck before sending! If u ever wanna talk look me up on here. Not sure if u can as I don't know this site very well yet but I'll be watching your thread!
    Ive been on sub's for 3 weeks now but I did quite a bit of research and didn't take the decision lightly,I understood that I traded one addiction for another, and one that doesn't get me high but in my opinion I believe it saved my life and that I made a very educated decision, anyway, I will tell u that I know a lot of my friends have traveled this same path and I'm sorry to say they were unsuccessful ciz of the withdrawal or the non euphoria or whatever the reason. Addiction isn't something a pill can cure. It takes many years of counseling and self acceptance. As far as sub's go, it doesn't matter how much u taper u willstill feel the discomfort as your body detoxes from the drug, if u really want off then u will have to go thru the withdrawal, sorry to say but that is a fact, good luck on your journey to sobriety

ktmrider is offline New Member

I'm day 5 of my detox. Been on subs for 2 years. I couldn't taper like I should have, guess it was the abuser in me. I was at 4 mg then took .25 for 4 days. I know that's not the best way but it had to happen in a certain time frame. I've been taking all the vitimans and have been doing much better then I expected. Pretty much on a smoothie diet. Can't keep solids down. Also sipping a 5 hour energy throughout the day after the morning anxiety subsides. Yesterday and today I had to work. I have a physically demanding. job and high stress as a supervisor. And I wok nights. My sleep is all messed up and I'm up for 24 hours now. Going in I didn't think it was possible to make it. Well I have. Just push! music helps alot too. makes me cry alot but that feels good actually. Haven't done it much in 8 years.

SAMY12345 is offline New Member

I defenitly can relate to your story, it started with a break-up, then depression for 6 months (along with migraine), then painkillers addiction, then finally Subutex.
    I'm 75 DAYS off subutex, i quite cold turkey. The withdrawal symptoms lasted 3-4 weeks that were a horrifying journey in hell. (It's wiser to tapper i would say). Anyway, after 2 months, the only symptoms that i have are some lack of motivation and sleep disturbance. But WARNING: once you quite Subutex and after the acute withdrawal, you might experience some intense DRUG CRAVING, you're at high risk of relapse. i've relapsed 10 days ago. So even if you succeed in tappering and going through the acute withdrawal, don't do my mistake by pretending it's over, well it's not. You have to stay on these sites and get support, i learned that the hard way. Good luck.