Needing supporting tips, my husband is quitting suboxone cold turkey
    Faith O is offline New Member

Default Needing supporting tips, my husband is quitting suboxone cold turkey

My husband has been on suboxone 8mg a day for 3 years and is ready to end his battle! He was addicted to pain pills and I must say that the suboxone has changed his life but he is so ready to be drug free! He has tried many times in the past to taper and couldn't and decided to do it cold turkey! He is on day 6, the first 4 days was a breeze but day 5 & 6 has been tuff! No energy, runny nose leg pain, very anxious! He works owl shift and I work days which is hard for me because I want to be here for him as much as possible and don't want him to feel alone! I'm just wondering how he will cope with w/d at work? Is it so bad that he doesn't need to be at work or alone? We have been together 12years and have been thru many separations and a divorce over this horrible disease and remarried 3 years ago and it has been the best 3 years of my life! I just want to be his rock and I feel so helpless! Any suggestions???? It breaks my heart because I know how much this means to him and how hard he is trying! He actually didn't tell me he stopped until day 5, so I have been searching none stop for tips on how to help him!

istrvler is offline Member

I don't have a lot of experience I am on day 5 with my wife but the Thomas Recipe has helped us. We don't have access to the benzos but we have bought everything else and it helps. He can get through it you just have to want it. You can google it. I copied it form another post here it is.

From the Thomas Recipe:

Take benzos, for sleep if you can get them.

Vitamins B6 and B12 a good mineral supplement, and L-Tyrosine ( I take 1,000 mg)

Then add the below

1. Immodium will help immensely, not only with the runs, but the loperim>>e has an opiate that does not cross the blood/brain barrier.

2. Make yourself as comfortable as possible: You have a very bad flu. Hot baths help, with epsom salts.

3. Stay hydrated: water, pure fruit juices, gatorade (will also help RLS) stay away from sugary drinks.

4. Exercise as you can: One member swears by even a 12 min. walk. Exercise will help get those natural
    endorphines and other chemicals in your brain start to regenerate.

5. Hyland's Calmes Forte or Hyland's restful leg for RLS.

6. Pottasium: bananas, a supplement and also the gatorade (also for RLS)

Eat as healthy as you can, stay away from processed foods. And, most important, attitude, attitude: You know already what you are going to go through. STAY STRONG.

Faith O is offline New Member

I will purchase those things tomorrow! Thank u for the info and good luck with your wife!

istrvler is offline Member

No problem there are a lot of people on this board willing to help. Just let him talk out his issues it helps when my wife and I talk it over. In addition it would be good if he looked through the different threads on here and it also helps to post so he could use your thread or create his own. Good luck

ErickaRenea is offline New Member

Hi Faith O. I, too, am a wife of an addict for 9 years - had no idea till after the first year of marriage. I was in for the long haul, & it's so NOT been easy as you know. By the grace of God only, have I made it this far.......My husband is on day 17 of quitting suboxone cold turkey. He has relapsed a few times on opiates. (I can never understand this) I've been thru this before with him so I know that there's nothing we can do except support their decision to quit. I just made sure I fixed breakfast, lunch, & dinner for him everyday. I bought some some of the best raw multivitamins with potassium, L-Tyrosine, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, & Melatonin. Start him on these right away! Just ask him how he is feeling every day, and if he tells you his legs are restless and his bones are cold get him in a hot tub of water. If he says that he's hungry feed him. Mostly he will lay on the couch and won't want to be talked to cause he feels so bad. Give him a few days then just with how he feels start treating the symptoms. Alcohol makes it worse, just so you know. When his stomach starts feeling better have him get up and do some pushups or take a walk with you, rake leaves in the yard, or whatever. Any kind of exercise will help. Just get him moving a little. As far as "you".....You need to take care of yourself, too. There isn't any local Narc-anon meetings around my area, but maybe you have in yours. GO, please! - it will help you. I have learned to get thru each day completely depending on God. My hope isn't thru my husband's "will to quit" because it has failed me many times before. God won't fail.