Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ggb5
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By ggb5
new here; almost done tapering from percoset; not doing great
    ggb5 is offline New Member

Default new here; almost done tapering from percoset; not doing great

Hi all -
    I've been reading posts but haven't contributed my own yet. I have been taking 4 325/10 mg percosets a day for the better part of the last year. It started before I had my babies from a few crushed (herniated) discs in my back, but I never took them regularly. Then my back got much worse after I had 3 kids in 4 years. I started taking them to recover from my c section and ended up getting a prescription after from a pain doc.

I'm a happy person and think I have a pretty blessed, happy, "normal" life overall, with or without. That said, I could tell I was addicted and just didn't want to admit it. I was watching the clock for my next pill, worried about appointments, counting pills, etc. I had a business trip on the day I was scheduled to get my monthly prescription and when I realized I couldn't get it and would be without I woke up in the middle of the night panicking, even considering cancelling my trip. It was then I realized I needed to stop. My husband didn't realize how much this was affecting me but is very supportive, as is my brother, who went through this a few years ago. No one else knows. I have three beautiful children and I want to make sure I'm living out my life and being not just a great mom but setting a great example all the way around. It has to stop. I'm ready to stop.

I tapered from 4 325/10 mgs a day to 3 for the first 4 days, then 2 for 4 days, and now I am on day 2 of taking 1/day with 2 days left of that to go. Then that's it. I am surprised by how hard it has been. I have had trouble sleeping, the sweats, diarrhea, overall anxiety and nausea. Does anyone know if this will get significantly worse after I take my last pill? Just more of the same?

Any and all feedback and guidance on how much worse it gets from tapering to totally stopping is really appreciated. I've been blown away by the support ive seen provided to others. Really lucky to have found this forum.

Thank you in advance....
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by ggb5 View Post
    Hi all -
    I've been reading posts but haven't contributed my own yet. I have been taking 4 325/10 mg percosets a day for the better part of the last year. It started before I had my babies from a few crushed (herniated) discs in my back, but I never took them regularly. Then my back got much worse after I had 3 kids in 4 years. I started taking them to recover from my c section and ended up getting a prescription after from a pain doc.

I'm a happy person and think I have a pretty blessed, happy, "normal" life overall, with or without. That said, I could tell I was addicted and just didn't want to admit it. I was watching the clock for my next pill, worried about appointments, counting pills, etc. I had a business trip on the day I was scheduled to get my monthly prescription and when I realized I couldn't get it and would be without I woke up in the middle of the night panicking, even considering cancelling my trip. It was then I realized I needed to stop. My husband didn't realize how much this was affecting me but is very supportive, as is my brother, who went through this a few years ago. No one else knows. I have three beautiful children and I want to make sure I'm living out my life and being not just a great mom but setting a great example all the way around. It has to stop. I'm ready to stop.

I tapered from 4 325/10 mgs a day to 3 for the first 4 days, then 2 for 4 days, and now I am on day 2 of taking 1/day with 2 days left of that to go. Then that's it. I am surprised by how hard it has been. I have had trouble sleeping, the sweats, diarrhea, overall anxiety and nausea. Does anyone know if this will get significantly worse after I take my last pill? Just more of the same?

Any and all feedback and guidance on how much worse it gets from tapering to totally stopping is really appreciated. I've been blown away by the support ive seen provided to others. Really lucky to have found this forum.

Thank you in advance....
    Hello and Welcome!

If you've been reading around the Forum, maybe you've seen some of my posts. If you have, then you may also know that I always try to be honest even if it's not what I think it's not what people want to hear. I know when I was in the thick of things, I didn't want things sugar coated. I wanted to know the truth so that's what I'm going to give to you now.

A proper taper from any opiate needs to be taken much slower than how you've done it. That's OK!!! You've managed to get down to one pill a day and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you had taken it slower, it would have eliminated most, but not all, of the symptoms you are experiencing now. By slow, I might have suggested that you cut down by 5mg a week or maybe even less. In my opinion, it's just a painful drawn out experience that takes huge self control. Well, you've proven you've got the self control and that's something we don't see around here often enough. I know for sure I never had it and could never have had pills in my possession and been able to control myself like you have.

So here's the thing. I don't see any point in undoing all the progress you've already made but I also don't see any point in dragging this out any longer either. It sounds like you are experiencing all the fun symptoms of a opiate detox and I don't think that by reducing so rapidly that you've made things that much easier. At this point, it's up to you to stay to your plan or to get rid of whatever you have left and be done right now. If I were you, I'd do the latter. In five days you'll be feeling much, much better. If that's too scary for you and you want to continue tapering, then keep taking that one pill a day until you are stable (no symptoms). Once you're stable, then try to cut back by 1/4 of a pill. Give it some time at that daily dose for at least several days and longer if you need to until you are once again symptom free and then reduce by another 1/4 of a pill. At that point you'll be taking 5mg/day. Depending upon how you feel, you can either be done or reduce one more time and then quit.

There's no right or wrong way to do this so long as you steadily go in the right direction except that if you do want to continue to taper then slow it down or there's no point in tapering at all.

Hope this helps but ask questions you have any and keep posting!

Peace,

Cat
    ggb5 likes this.

ggb5 is offline New Member

Thank you so much, Cat. I have seen some of your posts! I appreciate your honesty and you are right - that is exactly why I'm here to begin with. I guess I had this plan in my head and I'm just trying to execute it. But, you are right that it probably doesn't make a big difference right now in terms of whether I just stop or take the last two pills in small amounts over a longer period of time. Do you think the w/d symptoms will be worse or better in either scenario? I feel pretty confident about my self-control - I'm disgusted by the way those pills were able to control me and I am not going back. I don't feel great, though, and I'm honestly shocked by how strongly my body and mind have reacted to not taking them regularly. I personally exercise intensely 5 days a week and while that has helped a little bit, I've never seen anything other than excercise do to my mind what these pills have.

I guess I'm a little frightened that if w/d symptoms are much worse than I have been experiencing in the last week, I won't be able to function well for the next week.

I really appreciate your reply and support
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by ggb5 View Post
    Thank you so much, Cat. I have seen some of your posts! I appreciate your honesty and you are right - that is exactly why I'm here to begin with. I guess I had this plan in my head and I'm just trying to execute it. But, you are right that it probably doesn't make a big difference right now in terms of whether I just stop or take the last two pills in small amounts over a longer period of time. Do you think the w/d symptoms will be worse or better in either scenario? I feel pretty confident about my self-control - I'm disgusted by the way those pills were able to control me and I am not going back. I don't feel great, though, and I'm honestly shocked by how strongly my body and mind have reacted to not taking them regularly. I personally exercise intensely 5 days a week and while that has helped a little bit, I've never seen anything other than excercise do to my mind what these pills have.

I guess I'm a little frightened that if w/d symptoms are much worse than I have been experiencing in the last week, I won't be able to function well for the next week.

I really appreciate your reply and support
    Hi gg,

I don't even know how to describe how the worst of it feels but you know, of course that I'm going to try. For the bathroom issues, when my symptoms peaked, I needed to take Immodium after each "event" and I suppose I had to take it maybe four times a day. If I didn't take the Immodium, I would have worn the floor out. As far as sleep, or lack thereof, it was almost nonexistent while detoxing. I might have been able to drift off to sleep for 10 or 15 minutes at a time a few times during the overnight hours but that was it. Most people report that as average. I would say that most people suffer terribly with restless legs and I did too. There are some that aren't as bothered by it though. Sneezing bouts are typical , some yawning and watery eyes. I had the sneezing and a little yawning but not bad at all and my eyes didn't water. I was achy all over making it difficult to get comfortable. And yes, there's the anxiety that everyone reports as being pretty nasty. Me too. No appetite, weak, and obviously no energy or motivation.

You have reported that you are experiencing all of these issues and I have to say from experience that either you are symptomatic or you're not. I wouldn't expect your symptoms to get any worse, they just won't get any better until you have 4 or 5 days of having taken nothing. In retrospect I think what made everything worse was no escape or relief from the symptoms. Even with the worst case of the flu in the world, we'll fall asleep which allows us the much needed relief. With detox, the symptoms are similar to the flu but we can't get a break for a solid five days. It's exhausting and it messes with our heads. I'm with you in that I couldn't work while I was detoxing so if you don't think you can go to work, tell them you have the flu and take a few days off. This is more important.

I don't think it's going to make much of a difference in the severity of your symptoms if you continue to take small pieces of the pills you have left and that's why I am encouraging you to throw them away and get that clock ticking. Unless you do a proper taper you are just going to be symptomatic longer.

It truly is unbelievable how badly those pills mess up our brain chemistry and it doesn't matter whether we become addicted or physically dependent. The fall-out is the same. I suspect that your issue is more being dependent but again,. it feels the same while you are detoxing. The difference is going to be that once you complete your detox you aren't going to have the mental struggles that an addict would. If you have crossed the line into addiction, you'll know it soon enough. If you find that is the case, there is NO shame it in whatsoever. Becoming dependent is inevitable and becoming addicted is something that you have no control over. It's all about what we do with it that really matters.

I vote you flush those last pills down the toilet and get the show on the road. Oh! Do I get a vote?

Peace,

Cat