Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes
New here - need support with methadone taper
    Rachelle1stbb is offline Member

Sybil, wow you're doing so good!! Hang in there and don't think "it isn't likely you'll feel better". At this point you will start feeling better, yes sleep does suck for awhile but this too will return. You've made it through the first 5 days so keep pushing and you're going to have GOOD days coming up! It's worth it... Happy for you.

Sybil001 is offline Junior Member

Thank you rachelle!

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

How are u feeling?
    That is the problem with methadone and sub the half life
    You never know how you will feel..

You are doing great..
    sleep is the last to return
    Sleepy time tea really strong helps or Tylenol pm..

I know u are breast feeding but I think both of those are ok.
    Check with your dr..

Take care
    You got this!
    Bette

I feel ok. It's hard to tell if I'm feeling bad because I'm tired or because I'm sick. I would take Tylenol pm but I worry my daughter will wake up at night and I won't hear her. If she was more consistent sleeping through the night, I would.

So far, I've been taking ibuprofen for the bone and muscle pain. I get random bouts of cold sweats but mostly I feel fine. I'll take cold sweats over restless legs any day! I'm very tired so hopefully tonight I can get some good sleep.

I'm feeling optimistic! This isn't as bad as I expected it to be.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

I have a friend that just got off methadone
    And
    We both say the same thing
    We had it much worse in our minds than it ended up being!

But it is tough!
    But you have the best inspiration right in your arms
    Your baby!
    Congratulations!
    Bette

I'm ending day six and I'm honestly feeling pretty good! I have been keeping myself busy with work and s very active toddler. I still have some tummy troubles, a general lack of energy and some back pain but nothing too serious. My pupils have been gigantic, it honestly looks like I took a few hits of acid and I'm not sure if people notice stuff like that but I'm pretty self conscious about it.

I go to the clinic tomorrow and I'm going to return all my unopened bottles and leave with nothing! I'm so excited!!

I'm pretty sure I've gotten through the most intense part of the withdrawal, right? Now I just have to battle the lingering uncomfortable feelings.

Sybil, you definitely made it through the "worst" of it which wasn't too bad for you because you tapered down nice and low. You have done so well! Yeah you'll have some minor lingering things and the sleep will take longer to return but we will get there. I'm 2 weeks off the subs and I also feel good and sleep has improved already. Now your body is healing along with our brains and it will take some time to feel "normal" completely but we're clean and able to get through each day with minor issues and it will continue to get better not worse. Good for you bringing your doses back!! Day 6 done!!

Awesome!! Congrats! You have come so far! I can't wait to be 2 weeks off. I definitely can't believe how good I've been feeling! Days 1-3 were the worst but still not nearly as bad as I expected!

I have this fear that I'm going to return all my bottles and get hit hard with severe withdrawal. I'm optimistic though!
    Rachelle1stbb likes this.

Sybil,
    I had that same fear of terrible withdrawals coming to get me, but they never did and they won't for you either! It's our evil minds feeding us negative thoughts. Tell it to shut up like I do lol.. So happy for you! Week one is gone and you never have to go through it again.. It only gets better now, remember that thought over all else..

I got through day 7 with minimal symptoms. My legs are still achey and weak, I have no energy and having a hard time sleeping. Restless legs comes at night sometimes but not as intense as the first few days. I'm feeling better every day!

illkickit is offline New Member

Hey, you doing well..
    You won't believe Sybil but my life is near the same.
    I am at 5mg a day of methadone today and thinking about going cold turkey from tomorrow.
    People saying that it's worth waiting till I'm down to 0, but I had enough and can't wait any longer..

I got 300mg of methadone stocked at home prescribed to me by recovery team unwilling to lower my daily dosage.)
    After reading your post I feel that it's mostly our fear that stops us from kicking straight away..

I wish you all the good things to come your way..
    Take it all

Hi I'll kick it,
    I can't believe they won't lower your dose! 300 mg a day is an incredibly high dose! I have heard of doctors wanting to keep patients on it for the money and they try to say that the patient isn't stable enough in their recovery. That's just crazy though. It's your body and your choice whether you want to be on methadone or not. Good job coming down to 5 mg.

Today is day 10 and I still haven't been sleeping great. It doesn't help that my daughter has been waking up at night a lot. I'm working on getting her to sleep through the night. I have no problem falling asleep at first probably because I'm so tired all the time, but when she wakes up, I take care of her, put her back to sleep and then I can't fall asleep for another 2-3 hours.

I feel like I back tracked today and feel worse than yesterday. But like I said, it could be from the lack of sleep. I'm still having some tummy troubles, very enlarged pupils, hot and cold sweats once or twice a day and just overall lack of energy. I'm finding it really hard to climb a flight of stairs these days. Every day I go to bed and hope the next day is the day that I'll have more energy, and it never is. I wonder how long this lack of energy part lasts for?

illkickit is offline New Member

Hey Sybil,

It's not 300mg/day it's 30mg/day..

I'am from England so it may vary, well, they don't need to lower it, I can lower my dose myself but in fact, the more methadone they prescribe the more money they accumulate, so as long as they've heard from me that I'm getting rid of all the rest so in that case what they've been saying is that it is not important for them to ring the dispensary and lower the dose. So when we came up with a home detox plan, I told them that my dose is much lower than what I'm getting from dispensary, but they didn't mind that, so am I .. For me it's very clear that they are making money... Just to say it doesn't bothers me, we are all human by the end of the day, and yes the money is one of the things we here for...

Are you drinking lots of water??? 0,5l in 2hrs minimum is needed...
    Try to relax by taking control of your breathe...
    You said that you are hoping for the next day to be better.. I can tell you one little secret, there is not past and no future,
    life exist only in right now only this second . So in that case I would suggest not to wait not to hope and not to think of the future...

All of your energy is with you but all of this energy is thrown to heal your body...
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Still, that's crazy that they won't lower it and you have to do it on your own. I'm on day 11 now and still no energy but now I'm feeling depressed and anxious as well. Hopefully it's just from the withdrawal and not an underlying condition that was masked by drug use for so long. I'm going to take your advice and try to relax and breathe. I feel like my chest is being crushed constantly
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-12-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Hit post too soon

Congratulations to both off you!
    Especially getting off of methadone!
    I was on it for 10 years!
    In May 3 years off!

It does take time to get our body and our minds back
    Honestly it just sits in our bones and. Any fat that we have..

They say at the clinics that it doesn't.
    But it does!

We can get better but it does take a minute or 2!

But honestly so many people never ever get off of it!
    We are Miracles!
    Water
    Exercise
    Protein
    Laughing
    Chocolate
    Sex

Feeling proud of yourself !

All things to get our endorphins working again!

Google our brains on opiates !
    Very interesting and insightful!

Today is the day!
    We too can Recover!

Just FYI methadone clinics in the states make a huge amount of money too!
    They are like cash cows!

For some it is better than the alternative!
    But for us the time has come when it is not better and now we are free of those liquid handcuffs!
    That alone feels Great!
    Congratulations!
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Today is the end of day 12 and I'm feeling a lot better. My daughter actually let me sleep last night so I'm sure that is helping. Not nearly as depressed and anxious but it's still lingering. I'm also not feeling quite as weak as before. Hopefully it's only up from here!
    Rachelle1stbb likes this.

Sybil!
    I'm so proud of you, I can't believe it's been 12 days already you're coming up on the 2 week mark and it will only get better from there. That weak feeling you are having will go away really soon, you may have it in waves here and there but eventually it will completely subside. Depression and anxiety is something we all deal with in the beginning stages of sobriety, it's heightened at this stage because our brains are trying to maintain a healthy chemical balance again.. All we can do is give it time. You went through this so well, I hope you feel proud of yourself! Keep going strong..

Thanks! Today is day 15 and I'm feeling a lot better! I'm still having some tummy problems but hoping that will subside soon. My pupils are also always really big still but I don't know if that's just the natural state of my eyes at this point since I've been on drugs for sooooo long.

The depression and anxiety is still there, but it's getting better the more sleep I get.

3 weeks tomorrow! I've had the flu since Friday but starting to feel better. I never agreed with comparing kicking dope to having the flu until now. Ugh I've been so miserable!

Anyway, I'm sleeping better, when my daughter lets me. But I still randomly get goosebumps and weakness in my legs. Hopefully it's almost over because other than that, I'm really starting to feel more normal. Everything tastes better, smells better, feels better! I have some anxiety that I'm dealing with more than usual but I think it's just trying to navigate life without any substance. Even though I didn't feel high on methadone, it definitely affected my mood and emotions. I'm looking forward to finding out who I am now that I'm free!

You guys are amazing by the way!

Congratulations!
    Life does become more clear.
    I don't even think we realize how numb we were on methadone.
    Until we are off!

The only way now is up!
    You are one strong women!

If you can do that
    And
    You did!
    You can do anything!
    Enjoy your baby!
    Bette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12