Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
New here - need support with methadone taper
    Sybil001 is offline Junior Member

Default New here - need support with methadone taper

Hi, I'm new here and still trying to figure it out. I made a post before but maybe I didn't provide enough detail. Sorry this is pretty long and all over the place. I'm looking for some support and have a few questions. I'll start from the beginning.

I started using drugs at a young age. Started with marijuana at 13 and escalated to ecstasy, acid and coke by 14. I was a >>>>>> addict by the age of 17. I eventually got on the needle and quickly spiraled. I was a stripper, user, cheater, thief and would trade sex for money. I have been homeless and with much older men just to support my habit. I'm still dealing with those implications as one has recently gotten out of jail and has been trying to get back in touch. But that's a story for another day. I'm seriously not proud of my past and I hate admitting it.

People tell me now that they would never guess my past but I still have scars on my hands and arms from where I would inject my poison. I work at a job now where they would never hire someone like me if they knew the person I was just two years ago. I always have in the back of my mind that one day they are going to find out. I am very lucky to have not been arrested as an adult so nothing is in my CORI.

Anyway, I got on methadone when I was around 19. I was sick of waking up sick everyday and suboxone wasn't cutting it because I couldn't get high on it. I was on and off the clinic for a couple of years using >>>>>>, benzos and whatever else I could get my hands on.

I got pregnant when I was 22 and immediately quit all the drugs I was doing (except methadone). I quit smoking, drinking and using. I made it through my pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy and smart baby girl when I was 23. I was encouraged to breastfeed and I did. She did great in the hospital. She was weaned off in 8 days with no set backs at all and I couldn't even tell that she was born dependent on methadone. She didn't seem uncomfortable at all. She was just a normal newborn baby.

When I got pregnant, my dose went up from 90 mg to 115 mg. I tried very hard to not put it up but I wasn't allowed to take a split dose as I only had 2 takehomes at the time. That was September of 2015 I went down 1 mg every 3 days for the first few months, stopping for a week or two here and there to catch up. It felt like I wasn't getting anywhere at times, but I'm grateful that I stuck with the slow taper.

Once I got to around 30 mg, I slowed the taper to 1 mg every 4 days, then every 5 days. Now I am going down 1 mg every 6 days and am at 4mg! This whole taper has been "blind". So I don't know when it goes down but I ask every once in a while what dose I'm at. I find that doing it this way takes away some of the mental aspect of the withdrawals.

I have definitely experienced withdrawal and with a baby and full time job, it's not easy. It was worse when I was at a higher dose. I would wake up feeling completely dope sick and it reminded me of when I was using. Except I'm not using and it's frustrating. I remember being dope sick and doing anything to get that next fix. It felt the same way, wondering if I would still do almost anything to make that feeling go away.

I still wake up sick every day but it is more bearable now. I wake up with a runny nose, large pupils and restless legs. My daughter is still nursing so it's not easy when she wakes up at 4 am to nurse and I'm starting to feel sick already. I have takehomes but won't take my dose before 7 because I still have to go in once a week and can't dose until 8 on that day.

Thankfully, most of the uncomfortable feelings go away an hour or so after I dose. The only thing that stays consistent is the lack of energy. I feel it so much when I'm going up the stairs. In my legs. It's so hard to explain but it's sort of like I just need to stretch my legs but can't. I also get irritable, especially toward the end of the day.

I pick up my takehomes on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be at 3 mg! I'm so close! I have never been this close to being off the clinic before. I'm looking forward to waking up with a ton of energy and not having the first thing I think about be methadone. I'm looking forward to being able to travel without a metal box with plastic containers clanking around.

I guess I'm posting here for some support. Maybe someone else has gone through something similar and made it out the other side. I don't actually know anyone in real life who came off the clinic and stayed sober. I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones. Reading some of these threads has given me so much hope and I'm hoping to one day be telling my success story.

If anyone has experience coming off methadone, what was the detox protocol at a low dose like mine? Jumping? Getting down to 1 mg (or lower) and jumping? I would have to measure it out at home if I wanted to taper lower than 1mg because that's the lowest my clinic dispenses. I've heard of people staying at 1mg for years. Any advice on managing the lack of energy and if anyone can tell me what to expect once I jump at 1 mg? Will I wake up feeling like I do now and it just doesn't go away for a while? That's my biggest fear at this point.

Before I got to this low dose, my big fear was taking my dose and just not feeling anybetter. Thankfully that never happened.

I appreciate it if you took the time to read this and especially if you have any advice or words of encouragement. Thanks!

blast is offline New Member

I've been following your thread and give you a lot of credit girl.

Oops I hate my tablet. So, today I've been talking to my hubby about trying to wean down on my methadone use. I've been at 50-100 mg for years. I don't know how many honestly. But month after month I run out so I go thru withdrawal I have to borrow to get out of what I'm in and I'm sick of being sick. Barely being able to get out of bed is stupid. I suffer from fibromyalgia as well as rheumatoid arthritis chronic migraine chronic back pain.
    Anyway, the fatigue is so bad like you said going up and down stairs is so hard.
    I want to say I am very impressed with how well you are doing. You should give yourself something of a reward! Go get a massage. Maybe that will help with the leg stuff? I wanna be more helpful but, I don't know how to help myself. Just know I'm reading everything you write and you CAn do this for your baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by blast View Post
    Oops I hate my tablet. So, today I've been talking to my hubby about trying to wean down on my methadone use. I've been at 50-100 mg for years. I don't know how many honestly. But month after month I run out so I go thru withdrawal I have to borrow to get out of what I'm in and I'm sick of being sick. Barely being able to get out of bed is stupid. I suffer from fibromyalgia as well as rheumatoid arthritis chronic migraine chronic back pain.
    Anyway, the fatigue is so bad like you said going up and down stairs is so hard.
    I want to say I am very impressed with how well you are doing. You should give yourself something of a reward! Go get a massage. Maybe that will help with the leg stuff? I wanna be more helpful but, I don't know how to help myself. Just know I'm reading everything you write and you CAn do this for your baby!!
    Thanks! The fatigue and restless legs is definitely the worst part. When I'm feeling ok, I can say I could jump tomorrow and just deal with the withdrawal but when I'm actually sick, I know I would have to just take my dose. I pick up my fake homes tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'll be at 3 mg.

Methadone withdrawal is by far the worst withdrawal I've been through. And I've been through them all. You say you're between 50 and 100mg a day? So are you getting it on the street? Have you thought about getting on a clinic so you don't have to worry about how you will get the next one? If you do that, you can taper the right way. It takes a long time but I'm pretty sure it's going to be worth it.

There are some people who have been on my clinic for 30+ years and have no intention to get off. I know some people are lifers. I'm praying I'm not one of them.

Good luck and keep me posted with how you're doing!

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sybil001 View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and still trying to figure it out. I made a post before but maybe I didn't provide enough detail. Sorry this is pretty long and all over the place. I'm looking for some support and have a few questions. I'll start from the beginning.

I started using drugs at a young age. Started with marijuana at 13 and escalated to ecstasy, acid and coke by 14. I was a >>>>>> addict by the age of 17. I eventually got on the needle and quickly spiraled. I was a stripper, user, cheater, thief and would trade sex for money. I have been homeless and with much older men just to support my habit. I'm still dealing with those implications as one has recently gotten out of jail and has been trying to get back in touch. But that's a story for another day. I'm seriously not proud of my past and I hate admitting it.

People tell me now that they would never guess my past but I still have scars on my hands and arms from where I would inject my poison. I work at a job now where they would never hire someone like me if they knew the person I was just two years ago. I always have in the back of my mind that one day they are going to find out. I am very lucky to have not been arrested as an adult so nothing is in my CORI.

Anyway, I got on methadone when I was around 19. I was sick of waking up sick everyday and suboxone wasn't cutting it because I couldn't get high on it. I was on and off the clinic for a couple of years using >>>>>>, benzos and whatever else I could get my hands on.

I got pregnant when I was 22 and immediately quit all the drugs I was doing (except methadone). I quit smoking, drinking and using. I made it through my pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy and smart baby girl when I was 23. I was encouraged to breastfeed and I did. She did great in the hospital. She was weaned off in 8 days with no set backs at all and I couldn't even tell that she was born dependent on methadone. She didn't seem uncomfortable at all. She was just a normal newborn baby.

When I got pregnant, my dose went up from 90 mg to 115 mg. I tried very hard to not put it up but I wasn't allowed to take a split dose as I only had 2 takehomes at the time. That was September of 2015 I went down 1 mg every 3 days for the first few months, stopping for a week or two here and there to catch up. It felt like I wasn't getting anywhere at times, but I'm grateful that I stuck with the slow taper.

Once I got to around 30 mg, I slowed the taper to 1 mg every 4 days, then every 5 days. Now I am going down 1 mg every 6 days and am at 4mg! This whole taper has been "blind". So I don't know when it goes down but I ask every once in a while what dose I'm at. I find that doing it this way takes away some of the mental aspect of the withdrawals.

I have definitely experienced withdrawal and with a baby and full time job, it's not easy. It was worse when I was at a higher dose. I would wake up feeling completely dope sick and it reminded me of when I was using. Except I'm not using and it's frustrating. I remember being dope sick and doing anything to get that next fix. It felt the same way, wondering if I would still do almost anything to make that feeling go away.

I still wake up sick every day but it is more bearable now. I wake up with a runny nose, large pupils and restless legs. My daughter is still nursing so it's not easy when she wakes up at 4 am to nurse and I'm starting to feel sick already. I have takehomes but won't take my dose before 7 because I still have to go in once a week and can't dose until 8 on that day.

Thankfully, most of the uncomfortable feelings go away an hour or so after I dose. The only thing that stays consistent is the lack of energy. I feel it so much when I'm going up the stairs. In my legs. It's so hard to explain but it's sort of like I just need to stretch my legs but can't. I also get irritable, especially toward the end of the day.

I pick up my takehomes on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be at 3 mg! I'm so close! I have never been this close to being off the clinic before. I'm looking forward to waking up with a ton of energy and not having the first thing I think about be methadone. I'm looking forward to being able to travel without a metal box with plastic containers clanking around.

I guess I'm posting here for some support. Maybe someone else has gone through something similar and made it out the other side. I don't actually know anyone in real life who came off the clinic and stayed sober. I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones. Reading some of these threads has given me so much hope and I'm hoping to one day be telling my success story.

If anyone has experience coming off methadone, what was the detox protocol at a low dose like mine? Jumping? Getting down to 1 mg (or lower) and jumping? I would have to measure it out at home if I wanted to taper lower than 1mg because that's the lowest my clinic dispenses. I've heard of people staying at 1mg for years. Any advice on managing the lack of energy and if anyone can tell me what to expect once I jump at 1 mg? Will I wake up feeling like I do now and it just doesn't go away for a while? That's my biggest fear at this point.

Before I got to this low dose, my big fear was taking my dose and just not feeling anybetter. Thankfully that never happened.

I appreciate it if you took the time to read this and especially if you have any advice or words of encouragement. Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum. Hopefully Randy and/or Bette will stop by your thread soon, they both have personal experience with methadone. They would be best to advise you in this situation? Hang in there and keep checking back! Best wishes... God bless us all!

PS
    I see that you also started another thread, just stay on this one from here on out so that all your posts and replies are in one place.

Thanks for the reply. I actually get my methadone from my doctor. I am supposed to take 30 mg daily. But depending on the day and severity of pain I take more. Some days I take nothing. There are times I can go 5 days without anything. It's like I thought I was dependant on them, physically because of that. But then two weeks, it's never happened in 10 yrs, I got really sick. It was bronchitis almost a pneumonia, and didn't feel good at all, so I didn't feel like taking the methadone. Well by day 2 I was in full withdrawal and literally had to take some. So, it's been two weeks of severe illness, the bronchitis and sinus stuff etc and having to take methadone everyday, and I've never had to take it everyday. I don't like this at all. Why would this happen all of a sudden. I'm currently using 20-40mg daily. Hence the I'm scared to quit the withdrawal was so bad

Rachelle1stbb is offline Member

Hi Sybil,
    I wrote you a long post when you first got here and I see it up and disappeared! Anyhow I wanted to give you some advice because I was on methadone for 6 yrs at 120mgs. There are others here too that have personal experience with it but I wanted to share my personal experience with getting off of it and what I went through. I did not taper to as low of a dose as you're currently on, I did taper but I did it pretty quickly over a course of 3mos. I was warned by the doctor that I was going too fast but I was so mentally determined to be off of it that I didn't listen. Honestly I'm glad I didn't drag it out, I jumped off at 5mg a day. I was so scared of the physical withdrawal and mentally how I would function after being on it for so long, i can say that once I went through it I was amazed at how much easier it was compared to the horror I had built up in my mind! Of course I had some physical withdrawal but it was completely bearable the whole time, I was very busy during this time as well and I remained physically active which is VITAL to any detox in my opinion. Which I'm sure you're busy with your child and work so that's actually great. For me the first week was a little rough adjusting to not taking anything (all mental) I had symptoms like stomach issues, some body aches, chills/sweats, and restless sleep. I took a lot of baths which help so much with the aches and chills. I didn't take Imodium that whole week because I felt it was a necessary part of my body "cleaning itself out" lol but you can certainly take Otc meds to help if you need them. The physical aspect lasted maybe 7 days for me and I can't even say it was bad. I did have things that took longer to finally get back to normal like sleeping through the night, my emotions getting rebalanced but all that is to be expected and won't go back to normal over night it takes time for your mind and body to heal and we're all different. Anyway, I was so surprised at how much easier the physical withdrawal was and I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner because my fear told me it would be terrible. I really think with this very small amount that you've been on that you are going to be surprised at how much easier it actually is compared to your thoughts. You've come so far already and done awesome, when you're ready to stop go for it! If you feel that tapering down to 1mg or less will help you then do that, honestly I don't think that tiny amount of methadone actually does anything (mentally it does, but I could be wrong maybe it does do something physically but it can't be much even then). For example let's say you taper down to 1mg or less, I imagine whatever you feel during that taper process will be similar to the actual withdrawal you would feel coming off that low amount but I can't say for sure. Either way you have got this pretty much beat already so my advice is don't psych yourself out thinking it will get much worse. Congratulations to you Sybil you've come a long way down a really hard road, I know you'll do just fine and I hope my story helped a little bit. I will keep checking your thread to see how you're doing! Btw, stay very hydrated and try to take a good multi-vitamin during detox. It's so easy for your body to deplete itself of our nutrients during this time. Listen, coming off methadone is going to be the best thing you've done you're going to feel wonderful physically and mentally. You can be one of the success stories!! I remained sober for 2yrs, wouldn't even drink. I relapsed because I went through a lot of emotional trauma and I didn't know how to deal with it (3 of my family members were murdered and I turned to the wrong things to cope, my typical addict behavior took over and sadly I didn't remain strong enough and I hate myself for that failure) I did not go back on methadone though instead I tried subutex and now I'm weaning off of that, actually today is my last dose of .25mg and I'm finished so I'm right there with you!

Thanks for the replies! I picked up my takehomes today and the nurse said km at 4 mg. But since it's a blind taper, my dose could go down tomorrow and then again on Tuesday where I'd be at 2 mg Wednesday. It's a little confusing but it makes it easier mentally.

My daughter slept in this morning (7 am) and I didn't wake kicking my legs or pouring tears so that was good. i usually dose around 7 at home but I didn't get to the clinic until 9 today and I felt surprisingly ok. What bothers me the most is the lack of energy. I feel like I can't even get up to get dressed. Literally putting on pants is so daunting! I'll take that over restless legs though any day!

For the people who have been through the methadone detox, does jumping from 1mg feel the same as jumping from 5 mg? I honestly feel like the withdrawal was so much worse when I was at a higher dose but I was also going down at a faster pace. Hopefully once I get to 1mg I will just be able to put off dosing longer and longer until I just don't dose one day.

That's kind of amazing that you were able to go 5 days without taking any! Did withdrawal set in at that point or did you end up taking it for pain? I know methadone has a very long half life which is why some people don't start kicking until the 3rd or 4th day.

Have you talked to your doctor about quitting? Maybe he can wean you to a low enough dose and then switch you to a different pain killer if you need it. The other pain killer might put off withdrawal for a while until methadone is out of your system and then you can kick that in 3-5 days.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there..
    just wanted to stop by and say
    Congratulations!
    I was on methadone 10+ years 150+ mg
    It will be 3 years in May that I have been off of it.
    I could not get off it by myself so I went onto sub for almost 9 months..
    Now 2 years off of that..

I have a best friend that just tapered off through her clinic and started sub
    About a week ago ..
    she just could not deal with the lethargy..

I really feel it is easier if you have a routine and things you have to do!

That is the hard part for her ..
    retired and no family ..
    So does not really. Have to do much!

That is difficult!

I too thought I might be a lifer!
    But getting off of it was the absolute best thing I did. For myself!
    I have lost 65 lbs and my whole attitude has changed..

It is really important to stay hydrated and a good regime of vitamins..
    I use the withdraw ease that you see on here.
    Just because it has everything in it instead of a bunch of singlevitamins!

I hope you realize what a miracle we are !
    A person does every 8 mins from prescription drugs!

Thank God it does not have to be one of us!

You are doing great and will be done before you know it!
    Congratulations Again!

Bette

Thanks! What is withdrawease? I'm still breastfeeding and there's a lot of stuff I can't take. I would really rather not switch to subs if I don't have to because that's just another thing to taper from. Hoping
    To be free from the liquid handcuffs in the next few weeks!

Yes definitely!
    Withdrawal ease is a vitamin supplement.
    I really changed a lot of my eating and added vitamins when I got off
    The liquid handcuffs!
    So for me the withdrawal ease was easier because it is 2 vitamins in the am and 2 at night..
    all the stuff I felt my body needed..

Check out the website
    It is very informative!
    Bette

Hi Sybil001, thanks for replying. I'm so proud of how well you've done and how far you've come. I bet being a mom is what helped you get to where you are. She will thank you one day! So, generally on the 5th day I would start needing the methadone again because of pain and the earl stage of withdrawal. But it's like I said the weirdest thing happened when I first got this illness-the severe bronchitis etc and by day two I was in full blown wd it's never happened before. As far as talking to my doctor I've bee. Thinking about it. I just don't want to use any other medications. They mess with my GI. IM ALSO so scared to stop completely the pain gets unbearable-suicidal thoughts run thru my mind. I feel like I have three different PPL living I'm me! Help!!
    As far as you tho keep up the good work.

Bette,
    Thank you. I will definitely look into it! I always feel better when I eat better too. It really makes a difference for me.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Blast,
    Thanks for the encouragement! I did get sober because I got pregnant. She is the best thing to ever happen to me!

I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain. It's really sad that some doctors put people on these really strong narcotics and don't really explain to them what they are getting into. I'm sure you tried other meds before methadone, but as you know, methadone has a super long half-life making the withdrawal that much harder. Maybe it would be good to talk to your doctor about switching to a med that doesn't have as long as a half-life.

I feel you on the suicidal thoughts part. The one time I actually seriously considered suicide was when I took a subutex too soon after using. I put myself into precipitated withdrawal and no matter how much dope I did, I just didn't feel better. I don't miss those days at all..

One thing that's really bothering me during this taper is pain. I don't have any pain issues normally, but now throughout the day, I get pretty severe pain in my hips and back. It doesn't really feel like muscle pain, it feels like it's coming from my bones. i get a little teary eyed and runny nose at night and restless legs in the morning until I dose, but the pain is by far the most difficult to deal with.

I think I'm going to try to start an exercise regimen tomorrow. Maybe it will help

It is definitely bone pain because when we are on opiates
    Our body does not make its own natural endorphins.
    So the pain will be really bad for probably 30 days..

It your body will get back to normal soon.
    It is crazy how numb we are when on opiates!
    Plus we get older too..
    While we were on them..

So that doesn't help !
    Hang in there
    You are doing great!

Exercise will definitely help!
    Bette

Today is my pickup day. I usually pick up at 8 in the morning but today I couldn't get there until after 11. I felt completely fine in the morning. No withdrawal at all other than general lack of energy. Nothing too serious. I'm at 3 mg now. Should I jump or keep the taper going? I will be at 2 mg next Wednesday.
    Rachelle1stbb likes this.

Rachelle1stbb is offline Member

Hey Sybil,
    You're doing awesome obviously.. If it were me and I had the option I would taper as low as 1mg because it's only going to make for a softer landing in the end. Your withdrawal will be far less intense, and won't last nearly as long.. It's your decision so just see how you feel and go from there. I wish you the best.

Thanks! I might as well continue to 1 mg. Just two more weeks til I get there! I plan on jumping at home just in case I'm way too sick and need to dose I'll have it there. Has anyone ever tapered lower than 1 mg? The 3 mg is already literally just a teeny tiny drop; I can't imagine being able to split that up.

Also, yesterday was my two year sober anniversary!!

I forgot to take my methadone today. I realized it around 1:30 when I was wondering why I wasn't feeling that good. It is 2:30 now and I'm at work until 6.
    The withdrawal is not that bad but it's obviously no walk in the park.

Considering jumping because this is bareable. No restless legs yet thank god, Just some back pain. I'm working a 9 hour shift tomorrow so I don't know if it's the best time but I'm really ready to be done. Thoughts? Opinions?

emelissa250 is offline New Member

I don't no how much method your on but I can tell you now it's hard to get of it I'm on 100mil aday I live in the UK. It will take months before you start feeling your self. I can say if you reduce it your self and just take 5mil out each day or less. I hope this helps. And the good thing is you work so your keeping your mind occupied. GOOD LUCK

Yes I'm on 3 mg a day. Which I believe is less than 1 ml (not sure how the conversion works). I didn't take my dose yesterday and I'm going to do my best not to take it today. withdrawal really started to kick in overnight when my daughter woke up and I couldn't go back to sleep.
    Right now, I have goose bumps, large pupils and minor restless legs (and arms). The restless legs are the worst. I just hope my boss doesn't notice.

It does help that I work I think. Today is day two no methadone. I have the sneezes, runny nose, lethargy and cold sweats but other than that I'm ok. Better than I expected. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse than this.

I'm so tired but restless legs have set in. This is the worst part of any detox for me

It is the beginning of day 3. Im not sure I can do this

It's day 4 now and I'm feeling optimistic. I've been keeping busy. My nose and eyes have been watering so bad that when I bend over, my nose burns like if I jumped into a pool. I got some Imodium for loose stool which helps a little I think. I actually slept for about 6 hours last night because I had a drink before bed. Not enough to impair me but I think it relaxed me a bit.

No restless legs today (knock on wood) but I'm so tired. I tried to nap when my daughter did but couldn't. Tomorrow will be day 5 and I have to work. Hopefully I'm in the worst stage right now and it can only get better but I know it's not likely.

I'm supposed to pick up my take homes on Wednesday and I can't wait to bring my box back with the methadone still in the bottles and tell them I'm done. I'm sooo looking forward to telling my counselor that I jumped this week.

When I first started my taper, the doctor was telling me I should just stay on the clinic and when I said no, she advised me to taper 1 mg every 3 weeks. I ended up going faster than that, but ever since she said that, I don't trust her and I think she's in it for the money.
    Rachelle1stbb likes this.

It's almost 3 am here. I've only slept for 2 hours and I have to be up for work in 3. I'm not kicking my legs or anything, I just can't sleep. And I'm so tired!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast