new here. Trying to taper down off suboxone advise?
    43trying2hard is offline New Member

Default new here. Trying to taper down off suboxone advise?

Hello everyone,
    This my first time I have ever posted. I have been on suboxone film for 4 yrs now. First yr I started at 24mg a day. The second year I went down to 12 mg. Third year I went down to 8mg . I am now into my forth year. I am prescribed 8mg a day but only take 4mg. I have been taking 4mg for about a year now (cutting them in half), but now they have switched me to the generic tablet form of suboxone. It is very hard to cut . I really want to start coming down further but the generic tabs are just to hard to cut down . It is very hard to cut a 8mg tab to a 4mg tab currently, so I am sure it would be almost impossible to cut it all the way down to 3mg or 2mg. I could probably pull it off with the film but I am not sure if my insurance will cover the film. I know it would at least take a P/A to go back to the film.

As I already said...my doctor thinks I take (1) 8mg pill a day, but I cut it down to 4mg. I could tell my doctor I want to go down to 6mg a day and have him change my script to (3) 2mg tabs per day. That would make it a lot easier to cut the current dose I am taking (4mg) to 3mg or 4mg to 2mg, but if I tell my doctor I want to do it this way, i would loose 2 mg per day because he prescribes me (1) 8 mg tab a day. I have some questions if you don't mind answering? If you were me, would you try to cut my current 8mg tab down to quarters(even though it is hard enough to cut in half) making it 2 mg or would you just tell your doctor to change your daily dose from 8mg to 6mg (and take the 2mg loss)? If I did it That way, I would be given (3) 2mg tabs a day, making it easier to cut down to 3mg or I could just take (1) 2mg tablet daily.

If i stuck with a 8mg tab that I am currently on I would have to try and cut it down to 2 mg because trying to cut it to 3mg would be to hard to cut. Lastly I could ask him to change it back to a 8mg film and hope insurance covers it. What I am trying to avoid more than anything is losing 2mg of my current 8mg tablet that I am prescribed? Anyone that takes suboxone has to know the security it gives you to have extra left over at the end of the month. Also since I am at 4mg currently and have been for a while, when I go down should I go from 4mg to 3mg or 4mg to 2mg? Is there a very noticeable difference?

After I make the 4mg to 3mg or 4mg to 2mg, how long should I stay on it before I try to drop it down even further? I know there is a lot of questions I have and I am sorry if it is confusing,but any advise would be highly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi, and welcome.

I've been tapering using the 8 mg tablets too. It's hard, but not impossible. I use a pill cutter (available pretty much anywhere) to cut the tabs in half then half again -- which is (4) 2 mg pieces.

Since my current dose is 1.5 mg, I crush the small pieces and divide into even piles of .25 mg. I take a business card, crease in half, and pour the powder under my tongue.

Obviously, strips are much easier so get them if you can.

No, you do not want to drop from 3 mg to 2 mg! There is a taper plan we use to get off subs written by Robert_325. It's here on the site. It calls for a reduction of only 25% at each drop. Drops are made only when stable. I'm a long time sub user too. People who have been taking subs for a long time are advised to taper slower than the taper schedule which was written for people who are new to subs. I use a 7-10 day drop schedule. It just depends on how quickly you stabilize at each new dose.

So, if you're at 4 mg, you're next drop is to 2.25 mg. It's crucial to follow the taper plan and only dose once or twice a day at the same time(s) every day.

I definitely recommend you copy & paste your first post into a new thread on the Suboxone board. There are many of us currently tapering, as well as others who have used the plan and have successfully quit subs. We're here to help and support.

Kat

43trying2hard is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Hi, and welcome.

I've been tapering using the 8 mg tablets too. It's hard, but not impossible. I use a pill cutter (available pretty much anywhere) to cut the tabs in half then half again -- which is (4) 2 mg pieces.

Since my current dose is 1.5 mg, I crush the small pieces and divide into even piles of .25 mg. I take a business card, crease in half, and pour the powder under my tongue.

No, you do not want to drop from 3 mg to 2 mg! There is a taper plan we use to get off subs written by Robert_325. It's here on the site. It calls for a reduction of only 25% at each drop. Drops are made only when stable. I'm a long time sub user too. People who have been taking subs for a long time are advised to taper slower than the taper schedule which was written for people who are new to subs. I use a 7-10 day drop schedule. It just depends on how quickly you stabilize at each new dose.

So, if you're at 4 mg, you're next drop is to 2.25 mg. It's crucial to follow the taper plan and only dose once or twice a day at the same time(s) every day.

I definitely recommend you copy & paste your first post into a new thread on the Suboxone board. There are many of us currently tapering, as well as others who have used the plan and have successfully quit subs. We're here to help and support.

Kat
    Can i ask what generic of Buprenorphin you have been using? Is it made by Activist? The only reason I ask is because the crumble very easy. This is my first month on the generic pill. I always took the film in the past. You say my next dose should be 2.25? Going at the pace you are recommending. How long do you think it would take to get completely off of these? Also can I ask why you are not on the 2mg tab since you have gone down so far >> being on the 8mg tab that you said you are on? Wouldn't it be easier for you to deal with 2mg tabs >> 8mg (when it comes to decreasing) or are you trying to save what you are getting. Thats is my deli ma. It is financially killing my to go to the doctor 2 times a month. I thought if I could build up enough medicine that I could just do it myself. Sorry for all the questions

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Oops!! I did NOT mean go from 4 mg to 2.25 mg. Sorry, I should have proofread my post before sending it.

These are examples of 25% drops if you are currently at 4 mg per day:

4 mg to 3 mg
    3 mg to 2.25 mg
    2.25 mg to 1.75 mg
    And so forth...

I take generic bupe because it's cheap. My bottle says manufacturer is Roxane Labs. I stayed with the 8 mg tabs because they're cheaper than the 2 mg and I got used to crushing it down. I never took Suboxone or the films before. Don't have insurance right now so can't switch.

Sorry about the typo in my post regarding your next drop. If you're stable at 4 mg, go ahead and drop to 3 mg. Do not dose more than 2 times a day. Some people only dose once a day. If you dose twice, they need to be at least 8-10 hours apart.

Go to the Suboxone board and read some of the threads. Mine is there. Lots of us are tapering and will be happy to help you.

Kat

Bubsyboy is offline New Member

Default 12 years suboxone use starting a taper

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Hi, and welcome.

Kat
    I had no problem going from 8mg to 6 Mg I from 6 mg to 4mg and 4mg to 3 mg I'm having a rough time from 3 mg to 2mg. I wake up every early morning around 4 a.m. in withdrawal and take 2mg and then need to take another 1mg after midnight.. should I just try and suffer it out and not take the 1mg and hold out as long as I can for the 2mg in the morning and see if I can go a full 24 hours on 2mg that is. I really need to get off of suboxone.