Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By AngelaSee
New Sub User
    AngelaSee is offline New Member

Default New Sub User

eally wishing I had read here before taking that first dose.

However... I started my first dose of suboxone at 9:00 AM. My last dose of 20mg Oxy was at 1:00 AM. However I cut the oxy into pieces so I don't feel like it gives the same extended release. I have been taking the same dose for 6 yrs now for fibro and back pain. However, I'm at the point where I would rather be in pain.

So I took an 8mg and cut into 3 pieces and placed the first piece under my tongue. I didn't get any relief or so I thought.... So I took another 1/3 1 Hr later, and then another 1/3 1 Hr after that. I finally felt relief but feel that I was just covering precipated withdrawals from taking it too soon.

It's now 10 hrs after my first dose and I feel the need to take another 1/3. I'm going to wait it out as I've been told they last up to 24 hrs.

Tomorrow I plan to start with only 2mg in the morning and see how that does. I know most of it is a mental thing and thinking I need more. I can't just stop the sub and start over. I have 2 kids that depend on me and a job. I do not plan to take the subs longer than 2 weeks as I do NOT want to trade one habit for the other. Should I be able to stop the Sub after 1 or 2 weeks? Again I've been cutting up 80 mg of oxy and taking 1/4 - 1/6th 3-4 times a day for 6 yrs. really hoping this sub will work fast and allow me to leave it in my past.

So today I started with 2mg at 8:00 Am and I'm doing fine!!! I feel like I could easily do this with only 2mg. But does that last me all day? Or should I take another 2mg before bed? Please inform.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaSee View Post
    So today I started with 2mg at 8:00 Am and I'm doing fine!!! I feel like I could easily do this with only 2mg. But does that last me all day? Or should I take another 2mg before bed? Please inform.

Hello Angela, Welcome to the forum!

You actually took quite a large dose at induction. Sub is STRONG, real strong with a very long half life. A tiny bit goes a long way. We find that most can get completely stable on around 3 - 4mg if they take small doses every hour or so. The sub plan used here by most everyone has you taking an initial dose of .5mg - 1mg (depending on the habit and drug of choice) and waiting at least an hour. Then you would take a .5mg dose and wait again. After that the following doses would all be .25mg until completely stable. You took a third of 8mg as you first 3 doses and that's ok, but I think you could have gotten the same response with less sub if taken in smaller increments. Just saying.

Sub works differently than other opiates. The less you take the better. Most everyone finds that they can feel just as good on 1 - 2mg as they did on 4mg or more. Hard to understand that now, but you will once your dose gets lower through tapering.

No, you should NOT abruptly jump from a higher dose of sub. The symptoms will be quite severe if you do that. We recommend using the sub plan here that thousands have used successfully, including myself. You reduce your current dose by 25% every 4 or so days. You repeat that process until you're down to around .25mg per day. If you want as painless a jump as possible then a slow and steady taper is the way to accomplish that.

Seeing as you're getting your subs from a friend and not a sub doctor poses a few problems…will you have enough subs to taper? Is going to a sub dotor a problem or a possibility? To perform a proper taper you'll need quite a few of the 8mg subs, and the film strips make it easier to cut into the small doses needed.

Glad you only took 2mg today. I would not take more unless you feel you absolutely have to. Yes, that 2mg dose will last you at LEAST 24 hours, and probably longer. Try not to take more than 4mg total per day. If you feel ok on 2mg then don't take more. But you shouldn't suffer either.

What you could do instead of taking more sub is to split your dose like many do. If 2mg keeps you stable for example, you could take 1mg in the am and 1mg in the pm about 8 - 10 hours after the first dose. If you're on 4mg then take 2mg am and 2mg in the pm. That can provide a mental boost doing it that way.

Hope this helps. Ask all the questions you have. Weekends are real slow around here. I'll check back on you later. Have a great day Angela!

Randy

Thank you so much for the response. I've been checking back throughout the day since it's only my second day. I realized after my induction that I could have gotten by on less.

I honestly don't have the money to go to a sub Doctor or to buy the meds. My family member was giving me 4 80mg of oxy a week (16 per month )for 6 yrs so I never had to pay for it. I have another friend who has been taking subs for 15 yrs. and gave me (10) 8mg strips to get off the oxy. I plan to taper quickly so I don't have to drawl it out. I don't want to trade one habit for the other so I plan to rip it like a bandaid.

I can probably cut these 8mg up into tiny pieces to make them last. She is going to send me a few more next week just to be on the safe side... Especially since I'm weaning from OxyContin. I've read that it can take up to 10 days to get over the physical symptoms of withdrawal.

I've been keeping busy today up cleaning the house, etc. to keep my mind off of it. I'm so used to watching the clock for my next dose that it's hard to break that habit, but I'm more determined than I've ever been. Tired of carrying this gorilla on my back that tells me when I can do what.

I will take all the support and knowledge you guys are willing to throw at me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond today! Happy Valentines Day!

Angela - I would for sure cut your strips as much as you can. I'm on day 20 of cold turkey after 9 years on Suboxone. I still only at about 50%. I was on 2-4mg but usually 2mg a day Suboxone can stay in your system for several days after last dose so you want take the smallest amount possible. My withdrawals didn't go full force until day 6. I know it really set me back - I thought I would have been thru the worst by then. I won't lie detoxing off any of it is really hard and so happy you decided to stop this chaos. Keep posting on here you will get a ton of support we have all been there or are currently right there with you. I know what your gong thru so please let me know if I can help. Or if you just need to vent and get some encouragement. You can do it sweet girl!! - -kim

Angela,

I've said this numerous times here on the forum, but I'll say it again for you and anyone else reading along that may be considering sub therapy….

First of all sub should be the very last choice when wanting to be clean is the goal. Try all other methods first (CT and/or tapering the drug of choice) and try them again if necessary before considering sub. If all other methods fail then subs may be a great choice. I'm passionate about subs because they saved my life. Yes, they absolutely did. Not saying you did any of this Angela, but when someone beats subs down or speaks negatively about subs I get a little upset. And I get upset for good reason…..

All the horror stories you'll read or hear concerning subs are ALWAYS for the same reasons….

1. Taking way too much sub, doses way too high…
    2. On sub way too long, in many cases, years…
    3. Performing the induction incorrectly…
    4. Taking sub on an "as needed" basis...
    5. Taking different doses from one day to the next…
    6. Using sub for a "quick" detox…
    7. Jumping from too high of a dose (anything over .5mg)…
    8. Tapering much too quickly…
    9. Reducing by too many mgs…

Those are the main reasons. And many also have a sub doctor that's solely in it for the easy money to be made. Lots and lots of sub doctors place unsuspecting patients on huge amounts of sub and plan to keep them on it for years, and sometimes the rest of the patients life. All these sub doctors are required to do to be able to prescribe subs is to take an 8 hour online course and that's it!

If the sub plan that THOUSANDS have used here successfully is performed as closely as possible, there doesn't have to be nearly the amount of horror stories as there is, if any at all. I stuck closely to the plan. I inducted correctly, I tapered correctly, I used the sub correctly, and I jumped when at the smallest possible dose (.125mg). I experienced barely any symptoms at all. Just some lethargy and stomach issues that required a little Imodium and protein shakes. I had about a week's worth of very minor symptoms. Not bad I figured after nearly 18 years of abusing every drug I could get in my system.

Anyway Angela, if you can't get enough subs to perform a proper taper you'll have to do what you feel is best for you. And I do understand that completely. Just take it slow and steady with the amount of sub you do have. Any symptoms may or may not be severe. The good news is that it will pass. Hard to estimate just how long that may be. Because of the very long half life of subs any symptoms don't usually begin until the 3rd or 4th dat after completely stopping.

I wish you the very best. I'll be around if I can be of further help.

Randy

Randy - I completely agree with every word you said about Suboxone. It saved me from jail and bankruptcy. I did however have that very dr you mention. Way over prescribed - told me i would probably be on it forever - just in it for the money. When I started I couldn't find much research - or amazing forums like this one to get advice from people who had actually had experience with it. I hope people take it if is best for them and they realize that just like you said it's an opiate but very different - thanks for sharing you condensed what I try to say perfectly. If it's ok I would like to share your post with a couple of people considering subs. Thanks for always being here to help and guide people who really need an encouraging word. You are quite often first person I see reach out - sometimes the only one - Kim

I tried tapering, but found myself staying within the same dose and not being able to get past that. I would end up eating more of them due to the horrible pain. Even on the sub my fibro and hip pain are hard to deal with.. but i'm doing my best with advil. I was in tears last night over my sciatic nerve and the pain in my hip and leg it causes. I have early on set arthritis, etc. I'm weak when it comes to Oxy.. It took away my will power and I'm a VERY strong person who has never had an issue with addiction or quiting something. I own 2 businesses and work full time while juggling 2 kids. I'm a very determine person, but oxy... I just couldn't wean and I couldn't do the detox and still function with daily life..which I have to be able to do. I tried weaning off the oxy with hydrocodones and then was going to wean from the hydrocodones.. I ended up just taking both together and even more to get that high... It was going no where fast. I was terrified to start the Sub... but I did and I'm proud of myself for trying at least. I had no idea Sub would be a bad choice. It was just suggested to me by a friend, and I do know my aunt was successful in getting off oxy and hydro's with the sub and she only did it for 2 weeks.

see now i'm worried!!

I attempted the 2mg in the morning, but found myself needing more later in the day. My arms were heavy and RLS kicked in and made me feel like >>>>. So I ended up taking another .50 around 3pm, and then another .50 at bed time. When I woke up this morning I still felt fine and waited a bit before taking more. This morning I started with 2mg again. I just took another .50 when I started feeling not so good. Now I feel fine. I'm going to attempt to make what I have already taken last me until tomorrow morning. I have the 8mg cut up into pieces based on the video I watched on how to cut subs. The smallest piece I have is .50 mg.

I have no other option than to rip it like a band aid. But I'm more determined than I have ever been to get off this >>>>. I've already let my family know I'm taking the suboxone and I've given all my oxy back to the person who gave it to me, and they will NOT give me any more.. and I sure as heck can't afford it, so I don't plan to ever take it again. I don't have a script for the subs so I can't draw this out any longer than (14) 8/2mg strips will get me. Can you attempt to provide me with ideas on how I can do this with that amount? If you can give me a day by day break down of how much and how many times a day then I will follow it to a T so that I can make this a quick an painless as possible.

I appreciate all your responses and help!

I have no other option than to rip it like a band aid. But I'm more determined than I have ever been to get off this >>>>. I've already let my family know I'm taking the suboxone and I've given all my oxy back to the person who gave it to me, and they will NOT give me any more.. and I sure as heck can't afford it, so I don't plan to ever take it again. I don't have a script for the subs so I can't draw this out any longer than (14) 8/2mg strips will get me. Can you attempt to provide me with ideas on how I can do this with that amount? If you can give me a day by day break down of how much and how many times a day then I will follow it to a T so that I can make this a quick an painless as possible.

I appreciate all your responses and help!

You can perform a solid taper with 14 of the 8mg subs. That's plenty of sub. That would be a total of 112mg. Here is the way I would do it if it were me….

Begin taking 3mg total per day. Take 1.5mg in the am and 1.5mg in the pm, about 8 - 10 hours after the first dose. Take the 3mg for 4 days then reduce to a total of 2.25mg per day. Take 1.25mg in the am and 1mg in the pm. Take the 2.25mg for 4 days.

Then reduce to a total of 1.75mg total per day. Take 1mg in the am and .75mg in the pm. Do that for 4 days. Then reduce again to a total of 1.5mg total per day. Take .75mg in the am and .75mg in the pm. Take 1.5 mg for 4 days then reduce to 1.25mg total per day. Take .75mg in the am and .5mg in the pm. Do that for 4 days then reduce to a total of .75mg per day. Take the full .75mg at a time that's best for you. Take it for 4 days then reduce to a total of .5mg. Take that for 4 days then drop to .25mg per day for 4 days.

Then you reduce to half of .25mg which would be .125mg total per day and take that dose for 4 days. At this point you would begin the day skipping process. After 4 days on .125mg you skip dosing the following day. Dose again and skip the next 2 days. Dose again then skip the next 3 days. Then you are finished!

I did the math and you have enough sub to do this taper. You would have sub left over. If on any dose, and after 4 days you don't feel completely stable you should spend another day or 2 on that dose.

To cut the film strips into smaller doses get some tweezers to hold the film and small scissors to cut with. Holding the film carefully cut the 8mg piece in half. Cut those in half and so on until you get .25mg doses. Put the cut up pieces back in the foil wrapper and label them. It works great doing it this way.

Hope this helps. Take your time and do this slow and steady and you'll be very happy you did when the time to jump comes.

Randy
    Tears in Texas likes this.

You freaking rock!!!!

So today I took a total of 4mg ( day 3 )

Should I stick to 4 mg tomorrow or just go ahead and try to go down tomorrow?
    Randy35 likes this.

You freaking rock!!!!

So today I took a total of 4mg ( day 3 )

Should I stick to 4 mg tomorrow or just go ahead and try to go down tomorrow?

Angela,

You can spend 3 - 4 days on 4mg as you have enough sub to allow for that. If you want to?
    I thought you were sticking to 3mg per day, but 4mg is fine.
    Split the 4mg and take 2mg in the am and 2mg in the pm.
    After 3 - 4 days on 4mg you'll reduce by 25% down to 3mg and continue with the taper.

Also forgot to mention that it's very important to take the sub at the same time(s) each day. That keeps a steady amount in your system which makes you feel better as you taper.

And another thing, you don't have to split your dose, you can take just 1 dose if you like. Sub has a real long half life and 1 single dose will remain in your system between 24 and 72 hours. Many like taking the second dose and that's fine. I split my dose until I was down under 1mg. Either way will get the job done.

You're on your way!

Randy

Randy - that is just awesome for you to help her with that. It took a lot of time and effort you are really knowledgable on subject a lot of us have no idea about. When people know what is coming their way it's not quite so scary. So thanks for your help - Kim

I got by with 3.5 mg yesterday. I did t take anymore in the evening. I told myself that it last and so I made it last. I think a lot of it is mental. I have an alarm set for my doses and my daily dosing written out and the times I need to take it until my last day. My last day will be 04-10 if I do this correctly.

Hopefully having everything mapped out will make it much easier to do.

Again. I can't thank you enough Randy.