Norco advice
    patseguin is offline New Member

Default Norco advice

I've been a patient at my pain management clinic for several years now. I was given an MRI and they diagnosed arthritis in my upper back. They tried steroid injections but they did nothing for me.

Currently, they have me on Norco 10/325 5 times a day. I go through the same cycle every month for some time now. I start out taking 1 at a time and not even the max per day for a week. Eventually, they stop working effectively so I go to 2 at a time in the morning and then 1 after work and 1 before bed. Usually by the beginning of the 2nd week I am at 2 at a time twice a day and 1 before bed. By the end of the 2nd week, I am at 2 at a time 3-4 times a day. This has me in a recurring cycle of running out roughly a week early.

Is there something I can ask my provider for that might help the Norco work better and keep me on my 1 at a time?

I'm not really under any delusion that I am not at least mildly addicted to them. I always seem to have that last week where I am borderline obsessed and try to figure out how to stretch out my supply to avoid withdrawal add much as possible. I then spend the next few days literally counting the days until I can get my refill.

Since I have a legitimate need, I'm not really considering it an option to stop altogether. I'm just wondering how to break my cycle of running out early every single month.

Also is there anything I can buy at Walgreens or something to make the withdrawal more tolerable. I don't want to have to find a health food store and make one of those weird concoctions I read about. Maybe a supplement I can take? Or even maybe those energy shot things I see to help combat the low energy so I can function at work?

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
    I've been a patient at my pain management clinic for several years now. I was given an MRI and they diagnosed arthritis in my upper back. They tried steroid injections but they did nothing for me.

Currently, they have me on Norco 10/325 5 times a day. I go through the same cycle every month for some time now. I start out taking 1 at a time and not even the max per day for a week. Eventually, they stop working effectively so I go to 2 at a time in the morning and then 1 after work and 1 before bed. Usually by the beginning of the 2nd week I am at 2 at a time twice a day and 1 before bed. By the end of the 2nd week, I am at 2 at a time 3-4 times a day. This has me in a recurring cycle of running out roughly a week early.

Is there something I can ask my provider for that might help the Norco work better and keep me on my 1 at a time?

I'm not really under any delusion that I am not at least mildly addicted to them. I always seem to have that last week where I am borderline obsessed and try to figure out how to stretch out my supply to avoid withdrawal add much as possible. I then spend the next few days literally counting the days until I can get my refill.

Since I have a legitimate need, I'm not really considering it an option to stop altogether. I'm just wondering how to break my cycle of running out early every single month.

Also is there anything I can buy at Walgreens or something to make the withdrawal more tolerable. I don't want to have to find a health food store and make one of those weird concoctions I read about. Maybe a supplement I can take? Or even maybe those energy shot things I see to help combat the low energy so I can function at work?
    Pat, do you realize that you have six other threads besides this one with the first one dating back to 2013! You also do not stick around for too long during those threads, you might reply once or twice and then you never reply again even after others have left advice, comments and/or questions! Alot of good people here spend alot of time responding to threads in order to help, advise, make suggestions and offer support, please don't waste their time if you are just going to abandon your thread shortly after you start it! That being said my advice to you is why don't you seriously consider getting off the opiates for good? Opiates do not work well for long-term pain relief and as a matter of fact they can actually increase pain! You wouldn't know what your accurate and true pain level is until you are off the opiates for a good month or two? Many people find that after being off the opiates for a while that their pain is well managed with non-narcotic OTC pain relievers! Do some research regarding opiate induced pain "HYPERALGESIA"? Take care... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-29-2017 at 01:38 PM.