• 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 2 Post By Maxheadrum
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By Unicorn74
Norco Taper HELP!
    Unicorn74 is offline Member

Default Norco Taper HELP!

I’m back again after going through 5 months Norco free, last year. I caved and started taking opiates again when tragedy hit and my dad fell terminally ill on Thanksgiving night 2016. I started low but it soon grew into the monster again at 100mg Norco per day. A month after my dad passed away, I started to decrease. Got stuck at 50-60mg during summer last year. Now at 32.5 mg per day, decreasing very slowly.

Can you guys help me figure out a good taper schedule that won’t break my brain? I’m already feeling Anhedonia at this amount, but it could be due to dropping from 40 to 35 to 32.5 in 3 weeks. For me, it get so much harder in the 30’s.

May 2016, I did a CT detox with the help of many great people here, whose support was mostly all I had. I’m forever grateful. And sad I got myself into this mess again.

My main concern isn’t the sickness and pain, but the broken brain state I was left with the entire 5 months off opiates. I’m one of the lucky ones who doesn’t bounce back, mentall. I never did. I was suicidally depressed for those 5 months. I don’t want that to happen again. I can’t go through it in that way. I just can’t. It’s too dangerous.

Has anyone successfully gone through a slow wean and come out mentally ok?

What’s the best way to taper so as to have a cushion for my brain to balance itself slowly?

I’m desperate to get off these things and rid my body of this poison. I hate the feeling, hate having to take them just to prevent withdrawals (namely, Anhedonia, black depression and constant panic attacks), hate that I don’t know if my brain will ever get back to a healthy state on its own again.

Would you suggest stabilizing at each dose before dropping again?

Any and all info is so appreciated. I need you all!! Thank you in advance.

As of today, I’m trying a different schedule for taking my new dosage; I’ve been at 32.5mg for only 3 days and find the 5x/day that I was taking is not ideal for this amount. Just that little drop from 35 to 32.5 has me in major withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps because I dropped from 40 the week prior?

I’m feeling terrible throughout the day and having nightmares, trouble sleeping, intrusive dark thoughts, Anhedonia, pain, agoraphobia (which I only get when in withdrawals from opiates), etc. It’s obvious my brain is not getting the dopamine it was and is now showing signs of that depletion that comes along within Opiate withdrawals. Has anyone tried Calm Support?

This is my second attempt at quitting opiates. I’ve been on for 3 years, with 5 months last year completely off. I need help with this and hope someone can tell me how they’ve done it to ensure success. If I can’t do this on my own, I’ll have to go somewhere costly for detox. I really don’t want to do that as I own my own home, have work and have no trusted friends in my area.

I want to be SUCCESSFUL this time, once and for all!

Anyone have success with a slow wean? If so, what increments did you decrease by and how long do you suggesting holding at each?

I forgot to mention that today I’m trying 5mg doses every 2 hours and finishing with the 2.5, to try to spread it out more evenly. I was taking 7.5 - 5 - 7.5 - 5 - 7.5. Too much fluctuation and would be in hard withdrawals by 7pm.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey unicorn. Thanks for stopping by my home. You're always welcome!! I read your post earlier but wasn't in a position to respond. So here goes. Welcome back!! You know how great this place is. It's been my safe place since I stumbled here scared and alone. Today I'm 3.5 months clean and feeling great!! It's been a brutal journey for sure but so rewarding!! Depression for me started around week 3 and for 2-3 weeks it was depression, anxiety, and brutal fatigue. Before I found this place I looked everywhere online for something to help out. And as you know there is no easy way out of the detox. But I did read about amino acids. Years of opiate abuse damages the neurotransmitters in the brain and they need to be repaired. The body will do this on its own but I figured why not give it a jump start??? I started taking dl-phenalynine. (Sp) I know others have taken l-tyrosine and l-theaine. I'd definately give the credit to that for helping get me back to "normal". Didn't feel it right away of course but I slowly started to notice my hand eye coordination coming back, my General mood was getting better, I was smiling and laughing more and people didn't seem like such a-holes all the time. I still take it today and it really helps.

Over in the "Need to Talk" section is a thread started by Catrina for another member named forceout. I think it's titled "Forceout needs community to get through" I think he tapered off Norco all the way down to 1/2 a pill and jumped about 55 ish days ago. I think he is on vacation in Orlando right now but he is very active on here and doing great. I'm sure he will stop by when he gets back. Give his thread a read. It's got a ton of good stuff in there and we did have some fun also. The Looney bin erupted a few times. (Some of us are sicker than others)

Glad you're back! I'm on here every day. This place is my home now!! I love it!! I know others will be by to share their experience with you. And give you some encouragement and all that good stuff.

Congratulations again!!
    Hope you have a great day!!
    Beef
    Unicorn74 likes this.

Thank you so much, Beef!! I’m so grateful for your response. This place is where I began my journey in ‘16 and am so happy this community is here! This phase is where I am feeling lonely and joyless. Your encouragement means a ton! And I’m ordering your recommendation (DLPA?) right after posting this. Also, I’ll go over to forceout’s thread. I remember Cat, she was the one who inspired me to jump CT off 30mg and I did it! Wish I didn’t turn to opiates to get through the worst event(s) of my life but I did. And now I’m back and determined to do this! I’m looking forward to this journey and thrilled that you gave me info about forceout’s taper!!!

Fibromyalgia and CFS make this tricky for me to do. Those are the very reasons I was prescribed this s***! It is my goal to go all natural and get my life back. I just got through the worst two years of my life so I don’t see anything holding me back!

Cheers to you and your amazing journey! You’re an inspiration!! Thank you again for all the great info!
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Yup that's the stuff. I also take a good multivitamin, b-12, b complex, and calcium/magnesium/zinc.

We're all here for you! Have a great day.
    Beef
    Unicorn74 likes this.

Hey unicorn. Just driving by to see how things are going for you. Post whenever you can.

Have a great weekend.
    Beef
    Unicorn74 likes this.

Maxheadrum is offline Member

Unicorn-

I've been reading your thread and have also seen where you've posted to others. I would like to add to the message of Beef.

The best thing I gave myself the last time I tried to break this cycle was the hope provided in KNOWING I could break the cycle of active addiction. I am
    Sure you know this yourself since you've already experienced long periods of abstaining. Relapse happens and it's nothing to be discouraged with. Trust your heart and keep posting!

It also has helped me so much to read all the amazing success stories. Your 2018 story is now, just as is mine.

As a community, we are safer in numbers from the scourge of active addiction.
    We all know your struggle. And that mark on you and all of us is what makes us the strongest people I know.

Hoping your past few days have been wonderful!
    Beefaroni7272 and Unicorn74 like this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Unicorn! I don’t know if there is a predictable path after acute withdrawals. I fell into a pretty bleak depression for a good 60 days after I quit opiates. Not only was it bleak, but I didn’t care about anything. I eventually ended up on antidepressants which I guess helped a bit, but they came with their own baggage. At around 90 days I just started to do things again, random small stuff, but more importantly the bleak, black cloud lifted. It was a rough time though. I had frequent visions of wrecking my car - some bizarre thinking. The important thing was it all passed. In hindsight I probably would have done much better to hook up with therapy, 12 step meetings, or something. I went it alone though, and I wasn’t really my best advocate at the time. I’m coming up on 5 months drug free now, and still vacillate between constructiive action and wanting to get high and just feel all drugged up. I don’t get drugged up though. I hav been in several situations where I could have used, but walked away despite that emotional tug. It’s awkward! I have faith though, that it’s getting better. I have resources now. You’re doing well to talk about it! Keep at it, you’ll find a way through!
    Unicorn74 likes this.

Hi guys, thank you for your posts. I’m going to post a new thread with an update, as I’m now off. Hallelujah!! Now it’s the getting through until my brain readjusts. So grateful for all of you.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

extremetm is offline Junior Member

I was on 60mg a day and am nearing the home stretch of my 70 day taper. Been pretty much of a cake walk so far. Dropped one pill
    at the start then dropping a half each week. Will be posting my journal when done.

Taper Schedule
    70 Days (2 months, 11 days)
    10mg per pill

Saturday Feb 10 – Friday Feb 16 (5 pills)
    8am – 1 pill ☐
    12pm – 1 pill ☐
    3pm – 1 pill ☐
    5pm – 1 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1 pill ☐
    COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Saturday Feb 17 – Friday Feb 23 (4 ½ pills)
    8am – 1 pill ☐
    12pm – 1 pill ☐
    3pm – 1 pill ☐
    5pm – 1/2 pill ☒
    7 pm – 1 pill ☐
    COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Saturday Feb 24– Friday March 2 (4 pills)
    8am – 1 pill ☐
    11am – 1/2 pill ☐
    1pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    3pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    5pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1 pill ☐
    COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Saturday March 3– Friday March 9 (3 ½ pills)
    8am – 1 pill ☐
    11am – 1/2 pill ☐
    2pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    5pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1 pill ☐
    COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Saturday March 10– Friday March 16 (3 pills)
    8am – 1/2 pill ☐
    10am – 1/2 pill ☐
    1pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    4pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1 pill ☐

Alternate
    8am – 1/2 pill ☐
    10am – 1/2 pill ☐
    1pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    3pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    5pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Saturday March 17– Friday March 23 (2 ½ pills)
    8am – 1/2 pill ☐
    10am – 1/2 pill ☐
    1pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    4:30pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

Saturday March 24– Friday March 30 (2 pills)
    8am – 1/2 pill ☐
    12pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    4pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1/2 pill ☐

Saturday March 31– Friday April 6 (1.5 pills)
    8am – 1/2 pill ☐
    2pm – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1/2 pill ☐

Saturday April 7 – Friday April 13 (1 pill)
    8am – 1/2 pill ☐
    7 pm – 1/2 pill ☐

Saturday April 14 – Friday April 20 (1/2 pill)
    8am – 1/2 pill ☐

Saturday April 21th. QUIT DAY FOR GOOD!