Norco taper schedule
    Anonymous Guest

Default Norco taper schedule

Hi, I have been taking norco for four years now for a failed neck fusion surgery. I have been taking 80-100 mg a day for a few months now. I have quit cold turkey twice in the past only to start again. I have to ask myself if I'm taking them for the pain or the fear of the withdrawal symptoms. The pain is real but I would like to try a non narcotic pain medication to see if I can handle it. I'm 58 and retired and have the luxury of withdrawing at home. I have 71 pills left out of my last prescription and would like to know if it's enough for a gentle withdrawl? I need some advice on a taper schedule to avoid the depression associated with the withdrawal symptoms as it it really got to me last time I'm quit. Thank-you for some advice

melindau is offline Member

Hi wanna b done
    I did a long taper off of my opiate addiction ! ugh! it was not easy but it can be done I never missed a day of work...alltho I sure wished I could have some days ...do you get any days off soon we need to have you make a big drop if your taking 10 a day and only have 71 left...that doesn't give a lot of time...
    melinda

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wanna b done View Post
    I have 71 pills left out of my last prescription and would like to know if it's enough for a gentle withdrawl? I need some advice on a taper schedule to avoid the depression associated with the withdrawal symptoms as it it really got to me last time I'm quit. Thank-you for some advice
    You might could reduce your dose by 1 pill every 2 days and be ok. I tried to figure it out mathmatically based on you having 71 pills left and they being the 10mg pills. If they are 5mg let us know.

You could get off in about 2 weeks doing it this way. Maybe begin taking 80mg a day right away for 2 days and go from there. Take 1 pill LESS (if they are 10mg) every 2 days. It would look like this ---

Days 1 and 2 = 80mg
    Days 3 and 4 = 70mg
    Days 5 and 6 = 60mg
    Days 7 and 8 = 50mg
    Days 9 and 10 = 40mg
    Days 11 and 12 = 30mg
    Days 13 and 14 = 20mg
    Day 15 = 10mg
    Day 16 = FINISHED!!!

Again if the pills are 10mg each you would be finished in a little over 2 weeks and take all 71 pills. This is only a suggested taper plan and would give you a gradual reduction while getting you off in a timely manner.

I have to ask what you're going to do different this time when you do get off? You mentioned relapsing twice previously so why will this time be different? You might want to consider getting into some NA or AA support group meetings for added support. You'll be among others in the exact same situation as you and understand what you're going through. They can be an enourmous help to you anytime day or night if you're thinking of picking up that pill again. Meetings have made the difference in my life that's a fact!

Give the plan some thought and decide what you want to do. Maybe someone else has a better reduction plan? As long as you continue to reduce your dose you will get the result you want. You can do this - just takes you wanting it very, very bad! Good luck!

Anonymous Guest

Thanks so much for the response Melindau and Randy35. I really appreciate the reply and suggestions. I've taken 50mg (five 10/325's) the last two day's. that leaves me with 61 pills (10/325's) to taper with. Cutting from 10 pills to 5 pills has been a little brutal but manageable the last two days. I don't really want to go back up. What would you two suggest for a taper schedule with my last 61 pills. I get my next allotment on Sept 10th but would like to be pretty much done with it by about that time. My script allows me 80mg a day but you know how that goes. It has always been about robbing Peter to pay Paul and being miserable rationing the remainder of the pills towards the end of the month. I think I can continue tomorrow with only 50mg's but want help on how to use the rest. The last two times I went CT the depression part of the WD symptoms was brutal on me and not a safe place for me to at. I think I need a slow taper to avoid this mental part of the WD symptoms. I'm open to your suggestions. Thanks' for the help. Wanna B Done

Hi Wannabe
    I had to mine kinda like what your doing on the weekends when I was not at work I did a mager taper...so I could work during the week...I got stable on that and then did it again on the next weekend... I feel you pain!
    your doing Great! keep onj going on!!
    Melinda

Anonymous Guest

Help, this my 5th day and still really feeling like %#^ on my taper. I made the big drop from 1000mg of norco to 500mg the first three days and plan on reducing the amount 5mg on every 4th day. Should the initial system shock go away from the big drop I made from 1000-500mg and make my taper easier in a few days. Is dropping 5mg every 4th day to quick? I want this to be over. thanks got the help. Wanna B Done

Anonymous Guest

I'm sorry, In my Iast post I meant to say I dropped from 100mg a day to 50mg day. NOT 1000-500

every 4 days should be good! if not you can wait another day! my work week was 4 days and that is when I drooped...stable out before you drop again! at least that is the way I did it!
    your going to so happy you did this..I know it is hard...
    keep us posted on how you are doing it really does help...
    Melinda

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for the reply Melinda. I would go more days without dropping but with the amount of medication I have left!! I will have to drop 5mg every 4th day. I hope I don't feel this way for 23 more days. I'm hoping what I'm feeling now is from the big drop100-50mg I did immediately. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. This is just a little better than doing the CT. I don't want to go there ever again.