Off Vicodin - Day 1
    extremetm is offline Junior Member

Default Off Vicodin - Day 1

Finally decided to quick Vicodin cold turkey after 7 years of up to 5 10s a day. Thought I would keep an informal journal of my progress. My last one was last night at 8pm. It's 11:20 am now and I feel ok. Do have jittery feelings of anticipation of what's to come. But trying not to think about it. Seems though that's all I think about. At 12pm I will have gone without my 2nd vic that's due. Am even working from home this week just in case it gets bad.

Am doing the Thomas recipe of sorts minus the benzos. I took Xanax for 13 years. Am 3 years 1 month clean from that poison and let me tell you. Don't mean to scare anyone but it literally took me just shy of 3 years to withdraw from them. 3 years. Just last month my symptoms finally went away. Most evil drug you can put in your body save for a few antibiotics out there.

You think opiate WD is bad, it's nothing compared to the damage benzos can do. Not saying my WD from vics will be a cakewalk. Just saying there is worse.

In any case, welcome day 1. I've followed this board for a while and appreciate all of the help.

asp44 is offline Member

I am on day 12 of stopping 150-200 mg of oxy. The first week was miserable. For me the rls was and still is a monster. I keep telling myself tomorrow will be better. It has gotten a little better but still with the insomnia has made it impossible to sleep most nights. You have to have a strong mindset & really want to get off the vic to be successful. Stay positive & try to keep yourself occupied. Best of luck.

12 days...Respect. You're on your way. Congrats.

I agree you really have to have a strong constitution to just up and quit and stay off them. Been there done that so It's not even a question for me. Just wondering how long before the mind and body returns to normal. Been on opiates for so long, I don't remember what 'normal' feels like.

Prettytony is offline Junior Member

The physical wd will dissipate long before your mental comes back around. But it will. I've been sober for 730 days after 10 yrs of hardcore oxy, opana etc use. I started to smile, think clearly, and generally realize I could live "normal" and be happy, and content without my all time favorite crutch/companion Mrs Opiate at the 70-90 day mark. Very important to know your not outta the woods when the physical wd has passed. There was a point when boredom, depression, anxiety always became too much and in a moment of weakness I would say "if this is what it's like to live clean, then I tried, and I don't want anything to do w it!" And I'd relapse promising myself as long as I don't use 2 days in a row I won't get addicted. Never worked. Important to know how you feel 10
    Days clean isn't how u feel 30 in. And how you feel 30 days in isn't how you'll feel at 60 and so on. It continually gets better, and better. Stick it out!

Tiredandanxious15 is offline Junior Member

It sounds like you know and are prepared for exactly what you're about to go through. I am 24 and now 31 days clean from an 80mg+ habit a day of 10/375 yellow devils. I used heavily for four years and It took me over a years worth of "quitting" to get to this point. Keep your head strong and you'll be okay! At this point I honestly feel like I am my normal self other than the now occasional cravings and I do everything I used to do before the addiction. I followed the Thomas recipe minus the benzos and other random pills. Supplements probably helped the recovery but can't say they helped the withdrawal much.

I don't have the experience with Xanax, as I was never prescribed or enjoyed them. From what I have heard though, if you got out of that habit, I know you can tackle this one. Over all the toughest part has been the sleeplessness (now gone) and cravings for me. If you have any questions, I'll be checking to see if you update this thread every day.

Here's to one horribly terrific week! Good luck and don't get discouraged!

UPDATE

Had a terrible day yesterday. Wattery eyes, crying, depressed, no energy. RLS not just in legs, entire body. Restless, caffeine jitters, runny nose. No sleep at all. Took Benadryl and 3 melatonin, didn't help. The first day was frankly worse than the first day of Xanax withdrawal. So...I popped a vic this morning and am semi-back to normal.

I had a mild heart attack 2 years ago, am getting married in two months, am running a side business in addition to a FT job and my fiance is scared.

Decided I don't want to go through this hell again even if just for a few weeks. Can't afford the time or emotional strain. Too much to do.

Am going to call a detox place and probably look at the film therapy (now I understand it's application.) Don't mind the WDs but have to be able to function or I could lose a lot. Not making excuses. It's just the way it is.

Just to make things clear, I do have a bone spur sticking in my shoulder from my mountain climbing days and have always taken the vics as prescribed. I do have a legitimate reason for taking them and have never 'abused' them. They haven't caused any problems in my world at all except in my own head. With that said. I am addicted to them, could probably live with the shoulder pain without them and want off of them.

I hope you don't consider me a failure. I like this board and would like to keep posting. You all seem like a great caring bunch.

Prettytony is offline Junior Member

Pardon me for asking but if you have legit pain, and never abuse your meds, which means you never run out, and they've never caused a problem in "your world" why do you want to stop them?