Is Opiate tolerance permanent?
    corey010 is offline Junior Member

Default Is Opiate tolerance permanent?

does anyone know if tolerance is permanent?

or will a long time of abstinence reverse tolerance?

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Corey.

I have to ask why you are asking that question. Just wondering. I've had plenty of experience (too, too much) to know the answer. Your tolerance will be lowered after some time of not using. But, and it is indeed a BIG BUT, it will only take a very, very short amount of time before you are right back to where you began. That, my friend is a fact. After past recoveries and relapses from well over 100 mg/day when I picked up again I could feel 5 mg. Within a couple of days I was back to and often more than when I detoxed.

So not worth it.

Peace,

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Welcome Corey.

I have to ask why you are asking that question. Just wondering. I've had plenty of experience (too, too much) to know the answer. Your tolerance will be lowered after some time of not using. But, and it is indeed a BIG BUT, it will only take a very, very short amount of time before you are right back to where you began. That, my friend is a fact. After past recoveries and relapses from well over 100 mg/day when I picked up again I could feel 5 mg. Within a couple of days I was back to and often more than when I detoxed.

So not worth it.

Peace,

Cat
    thank you for that info. now hear me out, i DO NOT want to start taking opiates again. heres my issue.

alcohol doesnt work for me anymore, i get no buzz or euphoria since i stopped opiates, so i asked a doctor.

he said my opiate receptors are 'desensitized' from opiate use and therefore i have tolerance to all rewarding drugs, alcohol does actually work on opiate receptors and of course GABA.

so i was wondering how long this might take, im 15 months off all opiates yet still cant enjoy a drink

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Corey,

Just taking a stab in the dark here but perhaps you have developed a high tolerance for alcohol. As you pointed out, alcohol and opiates wreck havoc on the same brain receptors. By drinking, you may be tickling those, know what I mean? I have never been a drinker and my tolerance for opiates was huge. Even newly clean from opiates, I would feel 4 oz of beer.

Peace,

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Corey,

Just taking a stab in the dark here but perhaps you have developed a high tolerance for alcohol. As you pointed out, alcohol and opiates wreck havoc on the same brain receptors. By drinking, you may be tickling those, know what I mean? I have never been a drinker and my tolerance for opiates was huge. Even newly clean from opiates, I would feel 4 oz of beer.

Peace,

Cat
    i appreciate what you're saying but i literally drink once a month and i have never built up a tolerance to alcohol, nor do i drink ridiculous amounts, a few beers with friends, no addiction or anything. i think im permanently damaged, what do you think?