Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tryin SO hard in AZ
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
In Opiate w/d & dealing with a jaw that was shattered
    Anessa in Phoenix Guest

Exclamation In Opiate w/d & dealing with a jaw that was shattered

I guess I better give some history though it will be hard for me to relive the beginning:

Fourteen years ago is when my problems started...I was slugged in the jaw by a drunk spouse. The next morning when I woke up, I couldn't open my mouth and my jaw was contorted and my face was swollen. Again, I was delusional that my injury it 'would fix itself' but not this time. (I have a few secrets I've protected well). I went to work...gave the normal excuses....and after 2 days of my boss seeing me that way, he forced me to go to the doctor. I was immediately put under sedation to try to realign the dislocation. The next morning, I was back in the same situation. Back to the doctor and an emergency MRI. Results: The discs that hold each side of your jaw in place were torn. Norco was introduced to my life....
    See...I couldn't take off work right away to have surgery. I was in the midst of a new office start up here in AZ from the home base in OH. Norco was given to me in high does just to make it to surgery. With my jaw dislocated and unable to open my mouth, I needed something to get thru...6 weeks later I had a discectomy repair both sides. Dr was less than optimistic as I had pretty much shredded the remnants of the one disc. So wired shut for 6 wks....and an unlimited supply of liquid opiated I drank like kool-aid. Two weeks after being unwired, I tore the discectomies. My boss demanded I come back as there was no replacement for me as a key employee.... 8 weeks sooner than the doctor suggested. Lived 5 months with a dislocated jaw and norco to get my thru the hours to do so as best it could. Once the 2nd surgery was performed..the 5 months had destroyed my jaw. Bones splintered and fragmented everywhere which in turn shredded the cartilage and destroyed bone and everything else. Now a 6 month period of being wired shut. Liquid norco was my source of food.

This is so painfully difficult to relive right now on top of the withdrawals...

Fast forward. I found this site a few weeks ago and felt oh so inspired. After years of 10/325 narcos just to be able to open my mouth a 1/2 inch daily to function as best I can, I wanted off them. Some of you I feel as if you are family and the encouragement I took from all of you became my source of strength. I 'jumped' last Wednesday. That is the positive. I've been on daily pain meds for 14 years out of necessity, trying to put off a total jaw reconstruction as long as possible. I was told ribs would be used in this next step...so I've been medicating just to buy time.

I am feeling so emotionally weak. I am struggling to now pick up that pill but in the next breath, the pain in my jaw is over the top! I'm taking 800mg aleve every 4 hours for the jaw pain and also the body aches from the withdrawal. Eating is nearly an impossible endeavor as without the opiates I am unable to open my mouth without extreme pain and chewing...out of the question as I am unable to rotate or move my jaw from side to side. I know coming off the opiates was a 2 fold >>>>>>. One being the withdrawal and 2nd, leading me one step closer to that dreaded jaw reconstruction. My will to be clean is stronger than the pain I am also enduring from the jaw issue. I need some extra prayers right now to get me thru this mess. My anxiety is off the chart. I feel like I've lost my 'friend' with the norco and am reaching out for some strength and support from you- my friends...I need you now.

I'm sorry I so rambled here. Thank you.

Brandy704 is offline Junior Member

Hi Anessa! Welcome to the boards. You may be like most of us...we scoured the boards before we posted So glad you joined us. There is so much information here to help guide you.
    You have been through so much!! But you sound like you are ready to beat this beast!!

How many mg's a day were you up to and for how long?
    And you haven't taken anything other than Aleve since last Wednesday?

You are in my thoughts and prayers
    Happy 4th!

Anessa in Phoenix Guest

Thanks for the encouragement brandy. The history I chose to share was a long time ago and the "me back then" is not the me today. Maybe in part it lead to my Norco problem to live with that..I don't know. In any event I don't deal with that issue anymore.

I tried to post again numerous times yesterday and it would not take. I had a 3 hr dust storm to tackle in cleaning up from the night before so I did, tho not with the energy I wish I had but it brought the sleep that I've been lacking during withdrawals. And I made it ONE more day without using. Yea me.

Yes. Aleve and herbal supps. Been taking dandelion weed and milk thistle daily for years and continue on. From reading the posts during my lurking time, I worried it would add to the dehydration, but took the supplements anyway. I don't know why but I've experienced no bowel issues or stomach pains. My use? In the early days of use years ago - high. So high I guess as it still remains a fog to me. Mine started in liquid form and I drank bottles if it. Pills were then privided. When I chose to quit, I did a taper. I went cold turkey from 80 mg.

Be strong in your recovery. Know the mind plays tricks on you and at times will try to convince you that you would be better with the drug than without. I know mine does. But every hour clean is proof you are had the power and strength to say no - your choice trumps! And if not for this site and all the value I continue to get from it, I would not be able to do this. Hugs
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-05-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling errors

Anessa in Phoenix Guest

For anyone reading, how long does the joint pain last? Is there any supplements i should buy that you think will help? Thx!

Anessa in Phoenix Guest

I am starting to really feel isolated and alone. Please - I am only 10 days into not using and I don't have any support system in this effort. Can somebody tell me why I'm being ignored?

Sundwn is offline Member

Phoenix, your not being ignored. Week-ends are usually slow. People doing things, or trying to. Also the 4th. So you just hang tough. Keep reading and posting. Folks will get back on line soon. We/they are out there. There are many who read your story who are still " lurking" as they say. Who haven't decided to stop. But are thinking about it. So, even if you haven't heard from anyone.....your being read. Like I said, it's the week-end.......you hang in there.......SD

Anessa in Phoenix Guest

It's a little after 4p here and like clockwork, the back pain and the pelvic pain is giving me its sign that it's going to make my attempts to sleep miserable again tonight. Restless leg escaped me. It tends to peak around midnight (fun, fun) and tapers by morning. Hot baths or showers don't help this. These pains run deep in the bone. I think my bones have PMS. I know it is withdrawal related as it started 30 hours after my last dose. No issues before that. 10 days - and it is still the same. I will describe it as more annoying than painful. It just won't stop and driving me nuts. Been taking vitamins daily. I take prenatal vitamins. No - not pregnant. A doctor told me many many years ago to take them as the extra vitamins in them are better than taking a multivitamin each day. So, Ive taken them daily for years as another part of the daily ritual. Maybe some truth to this as I can't remember the last time I had a cold or the flu. Knock on wood, I don't get sick.

Time to feed the dog. You all continue to inspire me and give me the strength to get through one more day!

Hi Anessa! I am so sorry you felt alone and ignored. Our family has been gone all day yesterday and today - celebrating the 4th with extended family. I jumped on here as soon as we got home

How did this evening/night go? Tomorrow is day 11, right?

You are quite lucky you don't have the stomach issues! No fun
    I certainly get the stomach issues. Relentless I tell ya!! But I do not typically suffer with the RLS.
    My close friend came off norcos. She said her legs constantly cramped and would "dance"...especially when laying in bed.
    I came from Oxys>> Suboxone>> jumped from there 24 days ago. I would get the stomach issues & the hot/cold sweats and goosebumps were the freaking WORST! Still a lingering of those goosebumps today. But I shouldn't comain.

And congratulations on making ONE more day!!! You've got this! We are ALL here to support you. Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July!

*complain*

Anessa in Phoenix Guest

It's here - Day 11. Hip pain and back pain pretty bad last night. Pretty irritable this am. Got about 4 hrs intermittent sleep. From what I have read, the pains should be getting better, not worst. Dealing with the blah feeling pretty consistent for last 4 days now. Have been just taking the Aleve in the am and at night as seem to not need it every 4 hrs now around the clock any longer. Just take on as need basis.

Brandy you are so inspiring and I love your upbeat attitude! I'll hold onto that in the hopes I'm also in that frame of mind once I achieve your length of clean time! Something I am very much looking forward too. I think I am on my way. Mind gets clearer every day!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-06-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Yay!! Day 11! As you are reading this, SMILE. Smile real big! You are DOING THIS.
    And yes, there are days when you feel free. 100% free. And there are days it feels like Day 4 again :/ But...even on those backsliding days, you still feel better than the day before.
    Comeback_Kid said it the best - your WORST day clean is still better than your BEST day using....right?! Hell yea!

My hubby and I took our 7 y/o daughter (we also have a 2 y/o) to Carowinds amusement park on my Day 13. I was super scared!! I had the goosebumps all day. I know people thought I was weird. It was 95° that day

You have already beat this! Look at it that way. I still sneeze everyday, several times but I laugh about it. With every ache, pain, sneeze and set back...remember...you are cleansing! Those aches and pains are healing you!!! And those aches and pains will pass! I promise!

Have you ever heard of Gabapentin? It's also called Neurontin. This is a Rx medicine but helps RLS sooooo much. The medicine is prescribed for this such reason. It is non-narcotic also!

Day 11 for you! Make today count!!!

Anessa in Phoenix Guest

Good morning! I'm feeling a little better now. Took a nap (already) and applied a bunch of Bengay to my back beforehand. Actually just dozed off. What a difference just another hr of sleep can make. And the dog - he apparently doesn't like the smell of Bengay. I offered him a walk but he prefers to stay 20 ft away from me at present. Any closer and he starts sneezing...lol...

We are on high dust storm alert here today. It is starting to feel like most of my exercise is coming from dirt cleanup.

Carowinds...you must live in the Carolina's. I was keeping track of the hurricane last week.

Lucky 11. It will be a fantastic and productive day. Strange but I noted my sense of smell is stronger and my eye sight seems sharper. I noticed that a few days ago. I don't wear glasses but do grab reading glasses for small print. Last couple of days I noticed I don't seem to need them. I'm loving it! Each day is bringing something positive. May even call up my friend and go horseback riding later this evening on her ranch.

Take care and have a great day! I know with me, what's good today is going to bring something better tomorrow. (I guess so long as the horse doesn't decide to to a yippee-I-ay and plop me on my back later).

To all the best!

You are doing great!! So proud and excited for you!!
    Yes, I live in NC. I live about 150 miles from the coast. Luckily we had a little rain. We need it bad here. I was going to mention the heat & humidity but your name says Phoenix. I'm sure our heat & humidity doesn't hold a candle to yours there

Im jealous about the nap i sure could use one.

I am so glad today is going so well for you!! You have worked so hard!!

Tryin SO hard in AZ is offline New Member

Been a while since I've been on the board so thought I'd give an update. Day 38 clean. Since I was last here I've been to the doctor. What would have been a refill appointment any other time was different this time. My doctor was at a loss for words when I told him I stopped the opiates 27 days prior and was just there to get an acupuncture referral and and a B12 shot for energy. I explained I wanted to see if that would work for my pain control. I don't think he believed me as he still gave me an on-site drug test. I had scripts for 180 10/325's monthly for years. He may have doubted it would come back clean but I didn't. It felt so good to be able to tell him no more opiates ever.

I've done 2 acupuncture appointments and they do help. Doctor has also put me on a regiment of magnesium daily for joint lubrication and it has been a godsend. I thank god everyday for giving me this new start and life without the pills. I don't ever want to go through detox again. The blah cloud is still hanging around...sometimes heavy for days but it does lift for longer periods of time. The bone pain stopped at 22 days. Thank God!! That was the worst for me. Bad in my hips and joints and especially my jaw. I had it during the day and 5x worst at night -all night long. I still have sleep issues but I get 6 hours straight of good sleep now and awake feeling rested. The cravings are gone too.

So that is my update. It's still one day at a time but each day is easier and better than the last. Sending hugs strength and prayers to all.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-02-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: iPad finger pecking errors
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

ToBetterDays is offline New Member

Hi Anessa,

Your story is so inspirational - you've been through so much and could have given up at any time but didn't. It brought tears to my eyes to read your most recent post. I bet surprising your doctor like that was awesome. I'm hoping to do the same to mine. When I told him I was ready to quit Suboxone he said "if anyone can do it, you can" but I could tell he had some doubts that it would work. I'm sure he has seen a lot of failures. Can't wait to go back and tell him I beat it and have a personal victory like the one you had.

Tomorrow will be my first day without Subs, and I guarantee when things get bad I'm going to come read this thread for inspiration. Can't wait to see that look on my doctor's face, too! Thanks again!
    Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense. This day is all that is good and fair. It is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on yesterdays". Ralph Waldo Emerson .

Need HELP and guidance now.

My good news - I made 90 days clean this past Friday. The bad news is I was rear ended last week and had have some pretty serious issues with that. Most serious at this time is the calf. I Developed centralized pain in my side calf - a nagging type of pain the next afternoon. Two days later I got home from work and noticed my leg from the knee down was discolored and swelled up. From the knee down was noticeably bigger than my other, yet no bruisinng. Called the 24hr hotline to my insurance and they told me it sounded like a blood clot and told me to go to the hospital. Well apparently I tore my calf muscle and have a deep bruise near an artery. I go To a vascular doctor for follow up tomorrow as I guess I am not out of the woods with a blood clot yet and also an orthopedic doctor. Been so stressed out with fear I have recall all that I was told. The pain has been to the point where I nearly pass out now from the pain when I hobble as best I can off the bed due to necessity.

I was given a prescription for pain. 10 days worth. Hydrocodone. I talked to the doctor in great detail about that and insisted I have a greater fear of him giving me that than I do about my medical state. He told me this injury is not something that can be addressed with Tylenol or ibuprofen alone and at my age the additional stress could give me a heart attack if I don't keep my pain at bay and realize this is for medical reasons.

I have the filled prescription and have not taken them as I am afraid too. If I take 1 to deal with this pain will I go into withdrawals again? I have not craved pain pills at all and do not crave them now knowing I have the prescription. I really need some guidance. Sorry for any errors. Been shaking nonstop from this pain since Thursday now. Thanks for any advice.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

You are so strong .. You should be so proud of yourself.. About the pills you now have.. Pain won't kill you but the pain pills will.. You have already gone through so much without pain pills do you really think one pill or 1 weeks supply of pills will make a difference? You have found so many alternatives..

I worry about the guilt you may feel after taking them. Our addiction loves guilt , shame all those negative feelings..
    The choice is yours... Maybe tomorrow? I don't know about you but when I tell myself maybe tomorrow I will take this or that in some weird way it gives me comfort.. But tomorrow never comes.. Lol It is always today ..
    I will pray you find your strength to walk through this you are already one strong woman this will just make you stronger!!
    Remember God didn't bring you this far to drop you now!!
    All the best ,

Bet
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-21-2014 at 09:49 AM.

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it. I do plan on reading your story as soon as I get over this pain edge. Right now it is causing me to upchuck with the shakes. I am just too terrified of taking that prescription.

If anyone has any suggestions on over the counter medicine I should take that might help with pain or anything else that is definitely not a pain killer, I would be forever grateful. I am only taking Advil. Thank you!!

Catherine120813 is offline Senior Member

My gosh what a story! You are one gutsy person to have quit with so much script available.

Hydrocodone is what I de-toxed from 25 days ago, so be careful. I started the opiates 10 years ago because of a massive injury to my arm. Three operations etc. and now I live with constant pain, but it is less now that I am off the Hydrocodone. You are right to be terrified of that prescription but I am not a doctor. I can tell you that I am 69 and a nurse friend was horrified when I told her I was 3 days into C/T. If she had had her way I would have gotten more pills and done a taper. Right. Thank goodness I didn't listen. I believe she thought I was going to have a heart attack or stroke or something with c/t.

Conviction to quit goes a long way in this battle though. I wish you well and will be back to follow your thread.

'God didn't bring you this far to drop you now.' Those are the words I needed to hear to bring my mind back into perspective. You are right ... pain hasn't ever killed anyone. I know God will see me through. Thank you, Bet, together with the biggest hug I can give.

Catherine. Thank you for the well wishes. I have lots of questions for the vascular doctor I have to see tomorrow. I would think if I were going to have a heart attack from this, it would have happened already. I have discovered one thing that is increasing the pain right now and that is my leg tends to react and trigger into a charlie horse. If that would just stop i can handle it. Had friend pick me up some bananas today. So 6 bananas down the hatch. I figured it certainly can't hurt. And though I have no absolutely no desire to take any of that prescription I decided it's best to get it out of the house. it went home with my friend.

Just thought I would let all know I'm doing very wel and Coming up on 180 days clean in 10 days and have never felt better For those who are going through the process or thinking about quitting, you can do it. Trust me, it is the best gift you can give yourself, your kids and your loved ones. Your life back! I did it and never thought I could but I just kept saying to myself 'one day at a time.' The best part...I went for a general physical the other day and my doctor told me he tells his colleagues and others 'my story' and how I just quit. He also added that my story has inspired many of his patients struggling opiates to quit to find the strength. I realized from our discussion that not only have I given myself my life - my doctor is helping others and paying my experience forward and helping others. My prayers to all - hang in there. Hugs.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi trying..
    I was on here tonight just reading people's older threads .
    I am glad I did .
    And I am so glad you updated yours..
    Congratulations my God you are a trooper.
    I am sure you have helped others..
    Are you using any support groups?

Girl I am proud of you..
    Not very many addicts especially opiate addicts can ever say they are 180 days clean..
    God bless you and a big hug to you..
    Bet/iluv2

Just wanted to check in. I first posted last June with a 14 year Vicodin habit when I started my cold turkey quit. I lived my life for my drug. Heck, my drug was my life and I was scared to quit. Scared of the withdrawals. When I quit, I took magnesium pills every day - 2 when I woke up and when the joint pain hit, I started taking 2 more at bed. Wow- It helped IMMENSELY with the joint aches I was getting at night. I could sleep. I found out they helped any jaw pain too. Today, I am 15 months clean. I have my life back and still take magnesium daily. I am thoroughly convinced it has a big part in keeping me clean and in check.

For those experiencing the joint pain, I highly recommend this.
    Pixiepoxie likes this.

justmekw is offline Member

I am so proud of you. You will never know how much of an inspiration you are to me and others that are just starting are days sober. I'm only on day 9 from methadone. I hope one day too I can come back and say what month or year I'm clean not just the day number.

Poppy Girl 37 is offline Member

AZ thank you for sharing your inspiring story and for bumping your thread so I could find it today. I am 3/4 through a long, slow taper and I've recently started to wonder if I will be able to manage my pain without opiates. I think I was meant to find your story today If you can do it, I most certainly can! You've been through so much. You are your own miracle! Your story gave me the boost I needed today. Thank you!

Congrats on Day 9! You are doing fantastic!! I am proud of you. At times early on, when I felt vulnerable and didn't believe I could get through a day, or the next hour, I would sit and read this site for hours to find my strength through others journeys. It helped so much when I felt weak or feeling alone and scared. There was always a post or two I would happen upon that gave me that push I needed to stay strong and do this. Thank you for letting my journey now inspire you. ☺️

Poppy you are doing great!!. I admire your strength. I wasn't able to taper below 80 and had to just flush the pills and go cold turkey. I didn't have the strength and will power that you do. The pain will get worst but it will get better. Just remember it is temporary. It is part of the withdrawal of the drugs getting out of your system. Your body will let you know it is definitely not happy with your choice and throw a temper tantrum of pain. Just remember it is temporary. It was at that time I increased the magnesium at bedtime and found additional relief. Each day is a new day and they are beautiful days without the crutch of getting through them with drugs. you've got this,Hugs