Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stellapierre
Oxy Withdrawal - Leg Pain Help!
    mushypeas is offline New Member

Exclamation Oxy Withdrawal - Leg Pain Help!

If I go 8 hours without Oxy both my legs start an excruciating pain. The pain is located from the top of the knee up to the pelvic area. This pain is like no other. Every time I try to stop taking Oxy the pain makes me go right back to using. I really want to stop, I am mentally ready to stop this addiction however the leg pain cannot be beat. I try to take advils but it doesn't do a thing. I feel like both legs are being stabbed by 100 knives every second. I am taking 160mgs of Oxy per day.

Please help, is the leg pain normal? I've read about RLS but it doesn't seem like a "pulling" feeling. As mentioned, I cannot go 8 hours without Oxy. The longest I've gone was a day and a half at which point my legs hurt so much that it brought me to tears.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

You are going to need to get past the pain. Why are you taking oxy anyways and how much are you taking? RLS can be very much like pain. People say they get needle like feelings. Try some hyland's restful leg, drink gatorade and plenty of water, Check out the Thomas Recipe. You are just going to have to hang tough past the pain and give yourself at least 5-7 days to get through the w/d. I wish you luck

Peace,

Iloerose

mushypeas is offline New Member

Hello,

I am genuinely thankful for your response, it feels great to know someone out there cares.

I am taking 4 x Oxy 40mg a day (160mg/day). The doctor prescribed them to me initially about a year ago for kidney stone pain and now I can't stop using them. I have tried Hyland's restful legs, unfortunately it does nothing for the pain. I have not yet tried gatorade, thanks for the tip. I am at wits end, the pain is so intolerable sometimes that my eyes tear on their own. The best way to describe it is like growing pains x 1000. Would you recommend methadone or suboxone? We have a clinic here that offers methadone maintenance, have you heard of this? I'm hoping it's not a scam.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Absolutely no methadone. Suboxone, maybe, but you need to know that there is no magic cure and I still suspect what you are going through is the RLS. I don't know why you are getting such awful leg pain, I would get that down my back and my upper legs, it lets up in a few days. Perhaps a mild muscle relaxer would help. Every single person I know has experienced some type of RLS, subs or not. Oxy w/d should last around 5-7 days. Of course everyone is different. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE GO FROM OXY TO TO METHADONE. You are just going to open a whole new can of worms and the oxy is child's play compared to methadone. If you can't absolutely do the c/t from the oxy, or cannot do a taper of the oxy (so difficult to do when they are sitting right in front of you), you can go the sub route.

If you do the c/t: tonic water with lime or lemon, bananas, potassium, water and pure fruit juices and the gatorade. Get a good walk in. Hot baths and heating pads. IT DOES GO AWAY. You just have to stick it out for 5-7 days. Along with the other otc's try advil, etc. BUT DO NOT GO ON METHADONE MAINTENANCE. That is one dead end you don't want to drag along with you.

So:
    Stay hydrated: pure fruit juices, plenty of water
    Gatorade
    You might try tonic and lemon or lime.
    Exercise
    Hot baths
    Look up the Thomas Recipe

IMHO you can c/t. If you can't try subs. Methadone is a brick wall you don't want to hit. Your habit is not that large. You can do this.

peace,

Iloerose

stellapierre is offline New Member

I agree w iloerose I wouldn't suggest methadone. Ive been on it for 5 yrs trying to get off of it for 3 yrs. It robbedme of my yrs from 25-30 and turned me into a fat sweaty zitty paranoid agoraphobic which is totally opposite from the vibrant super personable girl. I am slowly starting to come back to life as ive been tapering from 360-15 mg. As for your leg pain I feel ya that was one of the worst symptom I wouldexperience thru out oxy wd. You need more potassium and you can get it from bananas or a pill form. Also a heating pad and hot showers hot baths. I hope things get better for you.
    Number1Loser likes this.

stellapierre is offline New Member

Also I almost forgot my dr prescribed me clonadine which was originally made for highblood pressure. It helps with anxiety and my shaking trembling hands. (Thanks methadone I love it when I bartender and have to carry full pints of beer to people!)

shawn156 is offline Member

Does your doctor know you want off them? If not maybe he can intervene and help you get off them. I don't understand the leg pain you are having,but try some of the things mentioned above and if still no help I would see the doctor and try going to 20 mg until you are stable and go down from there.
    I have only used oxy a few times.The first withdrawal was horrible and the second was pretty easy since I was taking darvocet at the same time,so I really had no w/d the 2nd time. Also the 2nd time I took them,I had a horrible rash on the bottoms of both of my feet. When I finally stopped,the rash went away.
    I have heard of people going from Oxy to Vicodin,which is weaker,to get off of Oxy.I have done this with vicodin,went to Tylenol 3 with codeine and within 7 weeks was off both the vicodin and T3s. I had a very nasty habit with the vics when I went to the Dr to get off them.I was taking around 250 pills a month for a few months and struggled to get off them but done it thanks to the T3. I am not advising you to do it,but it does work with some people.You have to be 100% sure you are ready before you can go to a weaker opiate to detox from. Good Luck.

Infowarrior is offline Junior Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this, but you're going to get to the other side. I cannot compare my situation to yours but my rls was awful and I was only on a small amount of vicodin. Hot baths, live in the bath!!! Epsom salt and lavender oil helps relax your muscles and then go quickly to bed before they have a chance to come back. it will go away, be strong, for yourself.

MarcieLynn is offline New Member

Default OxyContin Withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by Infowarrior View Post
    I'm so sorry you're going through this, but you're going to get to the other side. I cannot compare my situation to yours but my rls was awful and I was only on a small amount of vicodin. Hot baths, live in the bath!!! Epsom salt and lavender oil helps relax your muscles and then go quickly to bed before they have a chance to come back. it will go away, be strong, for yourself.

I am currently detoxing by dropping 10 mg each month. I am down from 100 mg to 40 mg per day. I find the pain barely toleratable for the first 10-14 days. Muscle relaxers do help a lot. I am on disibality. I am determined to get off of this. I have disc degeneration in the L4-L4 area. I have no idea what my pain will really be like until Oxy free for at least a month. I have been on for 6 years. I also recommend the Thomas method. Using METHADONE is not an option for me as it is only trading one addiction for another. SUBOXONE is not an option either as there is no exit tradgety for SUBOXONE. I am on Lyrica for nerve pain. I wish I would have known that OPIATES may turn on you and actually cause pain. This is called HYPERALGESIA which "is a state of abnormality increased sensitivity to pain that may result from a painful stimulus or a lower pain threshold" 'Medicine Dictionary'. I am very hopeful that after the recovers are cleared in my brain I will be able to use non-Opiate alternative methods to deal with pain. Good Luck to all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-12-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Hi peas! I had a fentanyl patch every other day and I was taking 8 norcos on top of that daily. About 5 weeks ago I inducted on suboxone and it has been the best decision ever. The induction process was tough but it was less than 24 hours. I have slowly tapering down by 25% every 7 days in the beginning and now every 4. I am now down to .25 and will be completely off by this next weekend. It hasn't been 100% easy but it has been tolerable and it has kept me from feeling using because of the pain. I have T3-T7 fractures. My new Pm gave me a steroid injection and for the first time I have gotten relief. The last 2 pls tried 5 times and couldn't get it to get relief. I am now getting by on Tylenol and Advil. It's weird because my pain has been less off opiates than it was on. The hyperalgesia someone was talking about is all true. Wishing you the best. If you get RLS I highly recommend pickle juice. Avoid Benadryl and otc sleep aids bc they have Benadryl. I think getting a small script for a sleep aid or benzos is the way to go but some don't agree with that. Also I recommend tyrosine in the morning. Helps get you moving.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justfortodaytx View Post
    Hi peas! I had a fentanyl patch every other day and I was taking 8 norcos on top of that daily. About 5 weeks ago I inducted on suboxone and it has been the best decision ever. The induction process was tough but it was less than 24 hours. I have slowly tapering down by 25% every 7 days in the beginning and now every 4. I am now down to .25 and will be completely off by this next weekend. It hasn't been 100% easy but it has been tolerable and it has kept me from feeling using because of the pain. I have T3-T7 fractures. My new Pm gave me a steroid injection and for the first time I have gotten relief. The last 2 pls tried 5 times and couldn't get it to get relief. I am now getting by on Tylenol and Advil. It's weird because my pain has been less off opiates than it was on. The hyperalgesia someone was talking about is all true. Wishing you the best. If you get RLS I highly recommend pickle juice. Avoid Benadryl and otc sleep aids bc they have Benadryl. I think getting a small script for a sleep aid or benzos is the way to go but some don't agree with that. Also I recommend tyrosine in the morning. Helps get you moving.
    Just a heads up! You do realize that mushypeas thread is almost 4 years old and that member hasn't logged in since August of 2013!

Sorry it moved to the top of the thread bc marcielynn posted on 5/12. Easy does it.

Sedonas is offline New Member

Default Mushypeas, any relief for you?

Hi Mushypeas,
    I know you posted this 9 years ago. Starting around 15 years ago, I started getting excrucating leg pain like you describe. I was an avid runner, and even after I was injured and not running competitively, the leg pain continued.
    This was before restless leg syndrome was widely discussed.

Long story short, MDs could get as close to calling it tendonitis. The pain was in the muscles. I went to one of those pharmacies that will take a long medical history and create a useful lotion or cream to treat the affected area.

This was a lifesaver for me. Nothing addictive about it. A bit expensive (co-pay even with insurance is $50) but it is so helpful.
    Look into that, eh? Much healthier than taking opiods, as we all know.

Best of luck to you.