Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
oxycoden withdrawal question?
    stuckleyr is offline Member

Default oxycoden withdrawal question?

Hi, I am new here. Name is Ron,45 years old. Here is some of my story. This past March, I was diagnosed with tongue cancer. They did a biopsy of my tongue, and the little white sore was cancer. This is where it all started. After my biopsy the doctor gave me liquid oxycoden for the pain. I was to take 5mg every 4-6 hours as needed. Well that first day I was like, wow, this stuff is great. Well I had surgery in april, and went through 2 treatments of chemo and 30 radiation treatments. The cancer did not spread, but the doctors wanted to attack this aggressively. This whole time I have been taking the oxycoden. More and more each day. They also had me on the fentnyl patch and ativan. Well here I am today. This past Monday night I quit all 3. Now the patch I was on was only 1 month and same goes for the ativan. But the oxycoden would be 5 1/2 months. Monday night I threw the oxycoden in the garbage. Now it is wednesday, and the withdrawal is terrible. I have the chills, cant eat, cant sleep, no energy, etc. All the symptoms that I have read about WD from oxycoden. I called my doctor he said if I can to ride it out, things should be getting better in a few days. Does this sound like withdrawal? Can it be this bad only using for 5 1/2 months? I am really depressed to. Look at my kids, I cry. Etc..... I am just praying this will be better soon. I feel like doing nothing, no energy... thank you

p.s. I did get to eat a scrambled egg today, but man the chills are terrible.

The Husband is offline Member

So you stopped the fentyln patch and oxycodone at the same time? What strength fentyln patch? And how much mg daily if oxycodone? You are defiantly in w/d Let me know so I can try to understand you situation.

Hi, thank you for responding to me. The fentyln patch was 50 ml, not sure how the measure that. I was on the patch for 2 months. The oxycodone I started taking 5mg every 4 hrs, by the time I was done it was 5mg every 2 hrs. This was for 5 1/2 months. I quit this past tuesday 2 a.m. (monday night) I took 1 mg of the oxycodone then threw it in garbage. I quit the patch the same day.... thank you so much

I felt a little better today. But I still have chills, no appetite, dizzy, fatigue, etc. Diarrhea started today also.. I hope I start to get better.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I would say you can ride this out. How many mg. of ativan were you taking? Anyhow, check out the Thomas Recipe. You might also ask your doctor for some clonidine, just for the duration of your w/d. Here are some other things that help:

Here is a list of things you can use as comfort meds:

Immodium, some say liquid is best. This also helps because it has an loperimide which is an opioid receptor agonist/ doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, it helps with the stomach issues and will make you feel somewhat better.
    Gatorade: helps with cramping
    Hyland's Restful Leg or Calme's Forte
    Plenty of water and good fruit juices: STAY AWAY from energy drinks
    Potassium
    B-12
    A good mineral supplement, magnesium
    vitamin supplement
    EXERCISE: this gets your natural endorphines producing again, so important even a little walk around.

You are still in the initial stage at this point. Take care of yourself.

Peace,

Iloerose

Thank u for response. So I guess this is definitely withdrawal. Just took hot bath, now I am sweating like crazy. This is terrible. Ativan was 1.0 mg a day for 1 1/2 months. I called doctor today, he wants me to try to see how I feel in a few days. Thanks

The oxycodone at 60mg a day shouldn't be to bad But the fentlyn w/d are gonna be longer and more intense then the Oxy w/d putting them together should be 4-10 days of acute w/d fent patch half life is 72 hrs so basically means you won't feel the full w/d till day 4-5.but will be w/d by day 2-3 from the oxy's 6 hr half life.

You will defiantly want to get some l-Theanine for anxiety drink lots of boost or ensure I don't think eating will be very easy and hydrate a lot. God bless

Thank you. Wow, so that patch is going to make things worse for me? Why do doctors do this? So I'm looking at 10 days WD?

Well looks like I am headed to hospital for fluids. I am dehydrated and sick. Not sure how I'm going to do this?

7-10 days give or take... Hope you are doing alright

Hi, thanks. Long day today. Went to ER , got fluids, all vitals, blood test was good. Sent me home said I was withdrawal from pain meds. Doc said I should feel better In a few days. We'll I got home, felt so/so. I ate some jello then are a scrambled egg. After I are I was better. Took dog for walk, cleaned kids rooms. I just ate another egg. Took 2 Advil and I feel better I think. I'm just prayin for some sleep. I hope I just turned the corner. Thank u

Hi, got some Benedryl yesterday. Took one , thought I would sleep better. Not happening. I do feel a little better though. Here is to another day. Thanks

So you should be on day 4 today hopefully the fluids will flush out your system. Normal sleep isn't gonna happen for awhile... Just focus on fluids and eating by Monday you should be feeling a lot better but that depends on the fentyln as any opiate with a 72 hr half life seems to take a lot longer to clear out of your system. So don't feel defeated it today or tomorrow you feel worse then day 3 that is just the nature of w/d the brain is screaming for more opiates and will make your body feel terrible trying to convince you to take more.

Thanks husband. I got out of bed today, almost passed out. Really dizzy, is this a wd symptom? So far today, ate 2 scrambled eggs some jello. Drinking water, peach tea, and gatoraide. My ears are ringing, seems my body temperature is getting better. Im in jogging pants and its 87 out. But no chills or sweating ..oh, first time today I took 2 imodium for runs. Hope it helps....thanks

Wow, took hot bath, noticed I lost a lot of weight .... I look terrible. I was always a skinny guy . 150 lbs. but with cancer and this I bet I am 120-115 lbs ... I hope it comes back .

overlyanxious is offline New Member

Hang in there! I am a total whimp, like big time, and I'm happy to say I survived it and I have never felt better. I was also taking meds for a legitimate reason with a valid prescription, under doctor's care etc.... but wanted off and to reset my body, with no choice but cold turkey. Sleep as much as you can, it helped me get through the thick of it. And use this forum, we're here to even just say "hang in there. You've got this!" And trust me, it helps tons to hear that in the midst of withdrawal! Best of luck and God bless!

Thank you overl. Nice name. I feel really weak today, no energy. I did eat egg, drank nutrient drink from cvs. My sense of smell is unreal now. I do get dizzy, blurry eyed still..

I focused on fluids and sleeping for the most part, and then started with saltines and soup. Just hold on to the fact that it's going to pass, it really will, and I cannot promise you enough that you will feel so much better afterwards. Be patient, let your body do whatever it needs to do to detox, and take it an hour at a time. Deep breaths. I would also take showers and tell myself I was washing all the toxins and negatives down the drain and when I got out I would be at a new point of my life, even if that just meant it was a new hour of my detox life :-)

Wow, unreal .. Just took hot bath, I can barely move. It's like I have muscles. Heart is racing. Jesus please.

Whoops meant to say no muscles

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Just a thought, cause earlier in your withdrawal you had to go to ER for fluids.......is the peach tea caffeinated? Might not be the best choice of hydration. My friend is going through, and about the same time-frame, of withdrawal from larger doses of oxy and opana......she has also been very weak, and is skeletal....I got her pedialyte today. I bought the non-flavored. Maybe you need something like that for hydration? Minus all the sugar that gatorade has.

Thanks silver, the tea is snapple. I bet its caffeinated. My vision is now all blurry, this is nuts. I may try some boost later.

You won't believe this, but I also bought my friend a pair of reading glasses, because she is complaining of the same......and when I was detoxing, I definitely remember my blurry vision.

Please hang in, Ron....it will get better......geez.....it makes me sick that someone like you has to suffer, when you only were taking a doc's instructions after having cancer. It humbles me also, cause my use was recreational. Or so I thought. Great recreation that turned out to be.

Hang in there. You're in the worst of it now. I promise you it'll get better. Try a cool bath, maybe? I found those soothing as well. Also, ice pack on the forehead and back of your neck while snuggled with a soft blanket. I feel for you. I think it's even more disheartening when you have to go through this when all you did was follow a doctor's orders for a legitimate reason. If you're getting too dehydrated I wouldn't hesitate to go back in gor fluids, being dehydrated can make you feel awful in itself. Maybe try popsicles?

Thank you all. Right now I actually still have a feeding tube in my belly. I can hydrate with that too. My belly is a little better but no way near 100%. I was just getting back my eating when I quit the drugs cold turkey. What is funny is how I smell now. Also I don't remember much when I was on that high

Morning all. I actually slept a few hours last night and 1 this morning. I think the melatonin helped. Or I may be on the upswing here, I hope ,,,,,,
    silverlining1 likes this.

Awesome, Ron!!!

I was at a family birthday party today. Asked my daughter-in-law, the nurse, about RLS.....she definitely said hydration......and mentioned caffeinated drinks aren't the best.....better than nothing, but she said water was the best. Of course, I didn't mention it was RLS due to withdrawal......so I'm still thinking some pedialyte will help, if it continues. Because of the electrolytes it contains.

Thanks silverlining. I was able to get a as bath today and get dressed without having to sit down after. So far I have h a d 2 eggs, chocalate shake, and a boost. Im still havin some symptoms, but I think things are looking up. I feel more aware of things. Feels weird
    silverlining1 likes this.

Helped son clean pool filter. Wow, had to sit down 2 times. Thought I was gonna fall over. Heart was racing . Is this normal?

Day 8 today. Still not much sleep. Still weak. But I'm clean

You got this, Ron!!!!! Everyday will only get better now. Hey, was talking with someone today and they were telling me that the Propel powder mixed with water is one of the best ways to replace electrolytes. Helped their restless legs, too. Thought you might be interested.

Good job on day 8!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast