Oxycodone Cold Turkey Detox
    ktebmf is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone Cold Turkey Detox

Hey there, so I just wanted to share this story because a friend is going through it now and I just told him how I got through it and thought I'd share. To summarize, it was the worst hell for me. However, that was what I needed to never want to do OC ever again and to NEVER go through that again. **I'm not a doctor or healthcare professional**

So a bit of background, I had been prescribed Oxycodone 5-325 for my back pain. Slowly but surely I was misusing them. Then a couple months ago I went through my 60 pill prescription in 2 days, and I realized that this was a problem. It was so hard, but I made myself email my doctor and told him to not prescribe it to me again, I was too dependent on it. Then I realized I was about to go through serious withdrawal with that amount in my system then stopping cold turkey...and hooooo boy was I right. I researched all the symptoms and home remedies. The Thomas Recipe seems to be super popular, and I guess I did a modified version of it. But I did it and felt like a warrior afterward, so here's what I did and what helped me, and can hopefully help some of you.

Get out your comfy pj's, fluffy socks and get as comfy as you possibly can because your body will be at its most uncomfortable. Pick out some movies, curl up in bed (even tho in the first few days it may actually be the bathroom floor). I had a damp washcloth around all the time to keep on my head or rub on my arms and legs, it just felt good. My heating pad was great for the muscle aches. If you have an essential oil diffuser - diffusing lavender helped me relax and stay calm. Light some nice lightly scented candles. Anything that relaxes/calms you. Then here are some remedies that helped me:

1. PEDIALYTE. I cannot stress this enough. I puked and had diarrhea non-stop for 2-3 days, sorry if that's TMI but I want you to understand everything. Both of those things cause you to lose fluids and electrolytes and you NEED to be hydrated! Pedialyte tastes good (besides the clear version - that tasted like milk to me ) and has more electrolytes than Gatorade. If you let yourself get dehydrated, you can end up in the hospital, not to mention just generally feeling 10000000x worse.

2. Multi-vitamins. You need to nourish your body as much as possible to heal! I also found that ones with potassium (or if I ate a banana) helped with the leg restlessness...I had constant muscle spasms. Again, you will feel 1000000x worse if you are not nourishing your body while it's going through this.

3. Immodium - unfortunately, these withdrawals brought on non-stop diarrhea along with the vomitting - sometimes both at once (thankfully my bathtub is next to my toilet). Immodium didn't completely stop the diarrhea, but it did help with the frequency.

4. NyQuil/Melatonin - a combo of these helped me sleep, which you desperately will need. I tend to need larger doses of Melatonin, but you can determine what works for you. That said, skip the NyQuil if you take me up on my next tip...

5. Xanax/Klonopin/Valium - yes, yes I know this is a controlled substance as well, but I never had a benzo problem so I felt ok taking it. If you don't feel comfortable taking a benzo, then don't - try valerian root maybe, it's an herbal supplement that helps with anxiety and sleep. After I took 1mg of Xanax (on day 4, didn't have access to it until then, I'm sure it probably would have been nice to have since the beginning), I felt the best I had in days and I finally felt my nervous system relax - I stopped shaking. The first three days were hell on earth and I literally 1. contemplated suicide 2. contemplated just saying 'screw it' and going to the hospital to rack up lots of bills. The benzos helped me curb these feelings of massive anxiety, not to mention they of course helped with sleep.

6. Bland food - like saltines, bread or soup. I couldn't eat at all for a while, but when my stomach hurt so bad from hunger, saltines were great. I didn't want to eat, didn't think I could, but I had to once my stomach hurt SO bad from hunger. A couple saltines at a time helped. Once I had an appetite for a real meal - I made dry toast or an english muffin or soup. A banana here and there for potassium.

7. Be as active as possible, now don't worry I don't mean go for a run. I was on the bathroom floor for the first 48 hours and couldn't do much else. Then on day 3, I took a walk around the block. On day 4, I rode (quite slowly) on my stationary bike for a little while a couple times that day. On day 5, I was able to go out for errands (granted, I was just being taken around in an uber and didn't feel great, but still). It'll help you get your body back to normal sooner.

8. Talk to your primary care dr if you're comfortable with it. When I went on day 5, the puking had stopped but I was so nauseated I felt like I was on the verge of puking 24/7 - and finally I felt ok enough to leave the house that day. She checked me out for any co-morbidities that could make cold turkey detox dangerous, so if you have something else going on (some condition or illness) you should probably, really do this. I've read if you have other stuff going on (like a bad heart, diabetes, epilepsy, etc) it could cause heart problems or seizures. Thankfully, I didn't have any co-morbidities. But my doctor said she really admired my choice to do this and thought I was brave. That really meant a lot to me in the moment, don't be afraid to talk to them. They're very used to people trying to GET drugs from them, so they're more than likely going to be happy to help you get off them. She prescribed me Ondansetron, which was a GODSEND for my nausea.

9. Hot showers and baths. They helped me relax a lot. When I was restless, I took an epsom salt bath with lavender oil in it and listened to a guided meditation. That helped me relax so much. Plus, HARDCORE muscle aches are a withdrawal symptom and this was a great relief. If you have a facility near you with one of those sensory depravation pods, that would be AMAZING for the muscle aches (you float in water that has 10,000 pounds of epsom salt in it, so you float even easier than you would in the Dead Sea) I unfortunately didn't know there was one right by me when I was going through this! But I go there regularly now for muscle aches I get from exercise and also for pain relief/stiffness in my back.

10. Support. If you have any friends you can talk to or text with during this time who will support you, get in touch with them. Support is great. If you are too embarrassed to talk to anyone like I was, read forums like this. Read them in depth and see how many people have also gotten through this! Trust me, it helped to even just read the support people gave each other and to hear from other people who got through this. It gave me more confidence that I could do it too.

So overall, days 2-3 were the worst for me. I can't sugarcoat how much it sucked. It was terrible. Like I said, I considered suicide and just giving up and going to the hospital. I also read a lot of people can get so miserable they take just a small dose of what they are detoxing from to help- don't do that! Thankfully, I had no OC left and always obtained it legally so I didn't have anyone I was tempted to hit up for some more. But I recommend if you do have any left, it will be hard - but FLUSH IT! Do it quick, don't even think about it just DO IT. If you do obtain it from a person or dealer, delete their number to eliminate the temptation. Just do it, because guess what? You'll be ok soon - don't prolong this miserable process. THIS WILL PASS! Reading forums like this helped me a lot and I just kept telling myself THIS WILL PASS. You have to keep repeating that to yourself. THIS WILL PASS. I think the most important of these things is the Pedialyte, multivitamins and some activity. You need to help your body out as much as you can or else you will be SO MUCH MORE MISERABLE, and could end up hospitalized for dehydration. I couldn't afford that, so I kept pounding the Pedialyte. But once I was done withdrawing and got through it, I felt like a warrior. I felt like I could do anything! And it also made me NEVER want to go through that again, so bye bye Oxycodone. Remember, when you're at your lowest: IT WILL PASS. YOU WILL FEEL BETTER, JUST HANG ON! I promise! I said this to myself so much when I was on the bathroom floor in the fetal position. You've got this.

Quote Originally Posted by ktebmf View Post
    Hey there, so I just wanted to share this story because a friend is going through it now and I just told him how I got through it and thought I'd share. To summarize, it was the worst hell for me. However, that was what I needed to never want to do OC ever again and to NEVER go through that again. **I'm not a doctor or healthcare professional**

So a bit of background, I had been prescribed Oxycodone 5-325 for my back pain. Slowly but surely I was misusing them. Then a couple months ago I went through my 60 pill prescription in 2 days, and I realized that this was a problem. It was so hard, but I made myself email my doctor and told him to not prescribe it to me again, I was too dependent on it. Then I realized I was about to go through serious withdrawal with that amount in my system then stopping cold turkey...and hooooo boy was I right. I researched all the symptoms and home remedies. The Thomas Recipe seems to be super popular, and I guess I did a modified version of it. But I did it and felt like a warrior afterward, so here's what I did and what helped me, and can hopefully help some of you.

Get out your comfy pj's, fluffy socks and get as comfy as you possibly can because your body will be at its most uncomfortable. Pick out some movies, curl up in bed (even tho in the first few days it may actually be the bathroom floor). I had a damp washcloth around all the time to keep on my head or rub on my arms and legs, it just felt good. My heating pad was great for the muscle aches. If you have an essential oil diffuser - diffusing lavender helped me relax and stay calm. Light some nice lightly scented candles. Anything that relaxes/calms you. Then here are some remedies that helped me:

1. PEDIALYTE. I cannot stress this enough. I puked and had diarrhea non-stop for 2-3 days, sorry if that's TMI but I want you to understand everything. Both of those things cause you to lose fluids and electrolytes and you NEED to be hydrated! Pedialyte tastes good (besides the clear version - that tasted like milk to me ) and has more electrolytes than Gatorade. If you let yourself get dehydrated, you can end up in the hospital, not to mention just generally feeling 10000000x worse.

2. Multi-vitamins. You need to nourish your body as much as possible to heal! I also found that ones with potassium (or if I ate a banana) helped with the leg restlessness...I had constant muscle spasms. Again, you will feel 1000000x worse if you are not nourishing your body while it's going through this.

3. Immodium - unfortunately, these withdrawals brought on non-stop diarrhea along with the vomitting - sometimes both at once (thankfully my bathtub is next to my toilet). Immodium didn't completely stop the diarrhea, but it did help with the frequency.

4. NyQuil/Melatonin - a combo of these helped me sleep, which you desperately will need. I tend to need larger doses of Melatonin, but you can determine what works for you. That said, skip the NyQuil if you take me up on my next tip...

5. Xanax/Klonopin/Valium - yes, yes I know this is a controlled substance as well, but I never had a benzo problem so I felt ok taking it. If you don't feel comfortable taking a benzo, then don't - try valerian root maybe, it's an herbal supplement that helps with anxiety and sleep. After I took 1mg of Xanax (on day 4, didn't have access to it until then, I'm sure it probably would have been nice to have since the beginning), I felt the best I had in days and I finally felt my nervous system relax - I stopped shaking. The first three days were hell on earth and I literally 1. contemplated suicide 2. contemplated just saying 'screw it' and going to the hospital to rack up lots of bills. The benzos helped me curb these feelings of massive anxiety, not to mention they of course helped with sleep.

6. Bland food - like saltines, bread or soup. I couldn't eat at all for a while, but when my stomach hurt so bad from hunger, saltines were great. I didn't want to eat, didn't think I could, but I had to once my stomach hurt SO bad from hunger. A couple saltines at a time helped. Once I had an appetite for a real meal - I made dry toast or an english muffin or soup. A banana here and there for potassium.

7. Be as active as possible, now don't worry I don't mean go for a run. I was on the bathroom floor for the first 48 hours and couldn't do much else. Then on day 3, I took a walk around the block. On day 4, I rode (quite slowly) on my stationary bike for a little while a couple times that day. On day 5, I was able to go out for errands (granted, I was just being taken around in an uber and didn't feel great, but still). It'll help you get your body back to normal sooner.

8. Talk to your primary care dr if you're comfortable with it. When I went on day 5, the puking had stopped but I was so nauseated I felt like I was on the verge of puking 24/7 - and finally I felt ok enough to leave the house that day. She checked me out for any co-morbidities that could make cold turkey detox dangerous, so if you have something else going on (some condition or illness) you should probably, really do this. I've read if you have other stuff going on (like a bad heart, diabetes, epilepsy, etc) it could cause heart problems or seizures. Thankfully, I didn't have any co-morbidities. But my doctor said she really admired my choice to do this and thought I was brave. That really meant a lot to me in the moment, don't be afraid to talk to them. They're very used to people trying to GET drugs from them, so they're more than likely going to be happy to help you get off them. She prescribed me Ondansetron, which was a GODSEND for my nausea.

9. Hot showers and baths. They helped me relax a lot. When I was restless, I took an epsom salt bath with lavender oil in it and listened to a guided meditation. That helped me relax so much. Plus, HARDCORE muscle aches are a withdrawal symptom and this was a great relief. If you have a facility near you with one of those sensory depravation pods, that would be AMAZING for the muscle aches (you float in water that has 10,000 pounds of epsom salt in it, so you float even easier than you would in the Dead Sea) I unfortunately didn't know there was one right by me when I was going through this! But I go there regularly now for muscle aches I get from exercise and also for pain relief/stiffness in my back.

10. Support. If you have any friends you can talk to or text with during this time who will support you, get in touch with them. Support is great. If you are too embarrassed to talk to anyone like I was, read forums like this. Read them in depth and see how many people have also gotten through this! Trust me, it helped to even just read the support people gave each other and to hear from other people who got through this. It gave me more confidence that I could do it too.

So overall, days 2-3 were the worst for me. I can't sugarcoat how much it sucked. It was terrible. Like I said, I considered suicide and just giving up and going to the hospital. I also read a lot of people can get so miserable they take just a small dose of what they are detoxing from to help- don't do that! Thankfully, I had no OC left and always obtained it legally so I didn't have anyone I was tempted to hit up for some more. But I recommend if you do have any left, it will be hard - but FLUSH IT! Do it quick, don't even think about it just DO IT. If you do obtain it from a person or dealer, delete their number to eliminate the temptation. Just do it, because guess what? You'll be ok soon - don't prolong this miserable process. THIS WILL PASS! Reading forums like this helped me a lot and I just kept telling myself THIS WILL PASS. You have to keep repeating that to yourself. THIS WILL PASS. I think the most important of these things is the Pedialyte, multivitamins and some activity. You need to help your body out as much as you can or else you will be SO MUCH MORE MISERABLE, and could end up hospitalized for dehydration. I couldn't afford that, so I kept pounding the Pedialyte. But once I was done withdrawing and got through it, I felt like a warrior. I felt like I could do anything! And it also made me NEVER want to go through that again, so bye bye Oxycodone. Remember, when you're at your lowest: IT WILL PASS. YOU WILL FEEL BETTER, JUST HANG ON! I promise! I said this to myself so much when I was on the bathroom floor in the fetal position. You've got this.
    I'm going on 3 weeks clean tomorrow! My legs still hurt and I can only sleep if I take Ambien! How long for you until u felt 100% back to normal again?

Quote Originally Posted by Scared as hell View Post
    I'm going on 3 weeks clean tomorrow! My legs still hurt and I can only sleep if I take Ambien! How long for you until u felt 100% back to normal again?
    Nice! Good for you! I have heard that sleep is hard to come by for some people for a long, long time, I take something (ZZquil or Melatonin) every night anyway, so I can't speak to when I'd be able to sleep with nothing to help, but I consider Melatonin to be a pretty good success for me because it's natural and something your body makes anyway. I felt back to normal, like completely normal, in about a month. The first week was hell I described in this post, but the following weeks I was just a bit more tired than usual, had to stretch a lot - yoga and pilates helped. And seriously I swear by epsom salt baths for muscle pain. Or go get a massage if you can! God, that first massage I got afterwards felt incredible. I also had to meditate a lot that first month to help with anxiety (there's an app called Headspace that's a great guided meditation, and its different everyday). Even if you don't feel 100% better yet, even just 50% better is worth it though, you know? You got this!

Nice! Good for you! I have heard that sleep is hard to come by for some people for a long, long time, I take something (ZZquil or Melatonin) every night anyway, so I can't speak to when I'd be able to sleep with nothing to help, but I consider Melatonin to be a pretty good success for me because it's natural and something your body makes anyway. I felt back to normal, like completely normal, in about a month. The first week was hell I described in this post, but the following weeks I was just a bit more tired than usual, had to stretch a lot - yoga and pilates helped. And seriously I swear by epsom salt baths for muscle pain. Or go get a massage if you can! God, that first massage I got afterwards felt incredible. I also had to meditate a lot that first month to help with anxiety (there's an app called Headspace that's a great guided meditation, and its different everyday). Even if you don't feel 100% better yet, even just 50% better is worth it though, you know? You got this!
    Yes I definitely feel a lot better! I was dying for almost two weeks! Didn't eat a thing for 11 days! Now it's just the sore legs and sleep I also used zquill and melatonin but there was no success with those so I been taking ambien but I don't want to become dependent on that either! I don't know hopefully I'll be back to "normal" soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Scared as hell View Post
    Yes I definitely feel a lot better! I was dying for almost two weeks! Didn't eat a thing for 11 days! Now it's just the sore legs and sleep I also used zquill and melatonin but there was no success with those so I been taking ambien but I don't want to become dependent on that either! I don't know hopefully I'll be back to "normal" soon!
    Wow, that's rough! I didn't eat for two days but then my stomach hurt so bad from being hungry I had to eat some saltines, couldn't always keep them down but I tried. I used to be on Ambien back in the day but hated it because I did weird stuff while on it! It also made me stumble around when I got up in the middle of the night so after I slammed my face into a doorjam and bruised my cheekbone I was done hah. You could always ask about a different drug for sleep. I don't remember any w/d's when I stopped the Ambien though so I think you'll be good! Getting sleep is the most important thing so I think it's fine if you stay on it for a bit (again, I'm not a professional, but I just think getting sleep is the most important thing). Sounds like you are doing great so just keep it up (try some epsom salt baths and stretching!) doesn't it feel awesome to be through the worst of it?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-15-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Wow, that's rough! I didn't eat for two days but then my stomach hurt so bad from being hungry I had to eat some saltines, couldn't always keep them down but I tried. I used to be on Ambien back in the day but hated it because I did weird stuff while on it! It also made me stumble around when I got up in the middle of the night so after I slammed my face into a doorjam and bruised my cheekbone I was done hah. You could always ask about a different drug for sleep. I don't remember any w/d's when I stopped the Ambien though so I think you'll be good! Getting sleep is the most important thing so I think it's fine if you stay on it for a bit (again, I'm not a professional, but I just think getting sleep is the most important thing). Sounds like you are doing great so just keep it up (try some epsom salt baths and stretching!) doesn't it feel awesome to be through the worst of it?
    Definitely glad to be thru the worst of it! I do need my sleep I work 7 days a week! I just want to be 100% and put this nightmare behind me! I also feel super sensitive I just cried watching gridiron gang! What a baby I am!