Oxycodone Withdrawal
    srg914 is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone Withdrawal

I am a chronic pain patient (spinal stenosis, arthritis, severely compressed discs, surgery in 2012-laminotomy and discectomy. I have been taking 40 mg oxycodone IR for approx. 4 years. 25 mg upon waking...15 mg in evening. I tapered 2 years ago and got down to 5 mg but found it impossible to jump off. Ended up back up to 40mg. Tried to taper again about a year ago...got down to 20 mg and the pain pushed me back to 40 mg. I am very physically dependent as I begin to feel withdrawal before each dose. But I need to get off this stuff. I hardly eat, have no motivation, lay in bed all day, no social interaction. Need to take milk of magnesia around twice a week for the severe constipation. I also suffer from lifetime generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I take 1.5 mg clonopin and 30 mg seroquel at bedtime. I contacted a psychiatrist who specializes in opiate withdrawal but using suboxone which I don't want to do. So...what suggestions would anyone have for me for a successful taper? I'll take it as slow as needed. At this point I am so scared...thinking 2.5 mg a week and even slower once I get to 20 mg a day...maybe 2.5 every 10-14 days. My regular psychiatrist would provide any med I need to help me. I already have a ton of valium and propanolol. On my first taper I used oxepam which seemed to help. Diarrhea will be a major problem since I suffer from IBS-D before getting on the oxycodone and a normal day was 3-6 trips to the bathroom a day. Last month my pharmacy had to order the oxycodone and I had to go almost a day without it and it was pure hell. I am starting a new round of physical therapy next week which will probably give me more pain initially since I hardly move all day. Any advice you all could provide to me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

hey, srg......

Welcome to the board. If I am understanding correctly, you want to get off the oxycodone? I am not a doctor, but we have quite a few nurses with tons of knowledge. so maybe they would be able to help. Don't give up, someone will b e along to offer more assistance than I am able, but just hang in there....everyone works and don't get on the forum but a few times a week.

Good luck on your journey! Hope I don't sound stupid, but didn't want to not respond to your post,

srg914 is offline New Member

Thanks for replying silver lining and yes, I would like to get off the oxy. But today my pain was so bad I needed 50 mg to get through the day. So how do I taper and deal with the increase in pain? Tough stuff.