Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By patseguin
Oxycodone withdrawal over?
    patseguin is offline New Member

Default Oxycodone withdrawal over?

I've been prescribed Oxycodone 10/325 for a couple years now, 4 pills per day. For the last 2 months I've had to take more for them to work well and have run out early. This time I ran out 4 days ago, 10 days before my refill. I started having the expected problems
    Iike aches, chills, flu symptoms, diarrhea, restless legs. I had a few Hydrocodone 7.5's which I took and they seemed to take the edge off a little. Could it be that my dependence wasn't all that bad and the worst of the withdrawal is over? This morning I have the same symptoms but nearly as bad. Can I expect it to get progressively easier over the next 6 days?

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome,

What is your long term plan? Do you have a refill coming soon? If you want to be quit, you're going to have to resist that refill. I've been down this road more times than I can count and it wasn't until I decided to not get that refill that I knew I'd get through it this time.

It's hard to say how far along you are with your detox. Sorry to say that I think by taking those hydros, you set yourself back a little. Cold turkey means just that. Done. Those hydros gave you a bit of temporary relief but I honestly think that you may have prolonged your detox. It usually takes around 5 days to get past the physical ugliness and there are no short cuts. When did you take the last hydro? If you have anymore, get rid of them if you want to get to the other side. Only you know your intent. Every time I ran out of my script early, I would detox and get through it....just on time to pick up my refill and the circus was back in Town. I'm not preaching. This is your decision and not mine. If you want to get and stay clean it's always a good idea to let your doctor know that you are done. It's hard but soooo liberating!!

Good luck.

Peace,

Cat
    Ilovemtndogs7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Welcome,

What is your long term plan? Do you have a refill coming soon? If you want to be quit, you're going to have to resist that refill. I've been down this road more times than I can count and it wasn't until I decided to not get that refill that I knew I'd get through it this time.

It's hard to say how far along you are with your detox. Sorry to say that I think by taking those hydros, you set yourself back a little. Cold turkey means just that. Done. Those hydros gave you a bit of temporary relief but I honestly think that you may have prolonged your detox. It usually takes around 5 days to get past the physical ugliness and there are no short cuts. When did you take the last hydro? If you have anymore, get rid of them if you want to get to the other side. Only you know your intent. Every time I ran out of my script early, I would detox and get through it....just on time to pick up my refill and the circus was back in Town. I'm not preaching. This is your decision and not mine. If you want to get and stay clean it's always a good idea to let your doctor know that you are done. It's hard but soooo liberating!!

Good luck.

Peace,

Cat
    Good questions. I'm not sure what my long term plan is. My need for the medication is genuine as I was sent for an MRI and they found arthritis in my upper back. I am prescribed 4 10/325 pills per day, however in the last 2 months I've been taking a bit more and running out about a week early. Admittedly, there are times that I take them just to feel better and not necessarily so much for the pain. It's for that reason that I want to go cold turkey just to prove to myself that I can.

I took my last oxycodone Wednesday night and my last Hydrocodone 7.5 last night. In spite of having the hydro's, I very much felt the withdrawal symptoms of the Oxy and missed a couple of days of work. Today I feel it but not nearly as bad and I'm relatively certain that I'm going to sleep OK.

I had been told on another message board that the amount I am taking is not really considered to be extreme abuse and not an amount that would cause me huge withdrawals. That's why I was wondering if maybe the worst of it is over now.

My refill is next Friday the 11th. I intended to refill them so I can taper off them instead of going cold turkey. However, if I am feeling fine by then I just may not refill at all.

I don't think it's denial, but I don't know. I don't think I have an addiction per say but a dependence. However, I look at the way I've been living my life since I've been on them and I have to wonder. For the longest time, my entire day revolves around when to take my next dosage. When I get up in the morning, it's the first thing I think about and tailor my whole day around when to take my dosages. I also found myself counting my pills halfway through my month and counting how many I could take every day and not run out. Even knowing I would run out, up until the last few days I took 2 at a time anyways.

I realize that technically doubling up my dosage is abuse and my behavior seems to indicate a borderline obsession.

It's for these reasons that I am actually glad I ran myself out so I can see how I do without them.
    Ilovemtndogs7 likes this.

Ilovemtndogs7 is offline Advanced Member

Hi Patseguin, I'm Miss Dogs/Sheryl. Nice to meet you. If it helps at all, your story is very familiar. It sounds like about a third of the stories you will read on this site. Cat brought up so many good questions. If you are like most of us, you don't have most of the answers yet-as you haven't yet posed the questions.

One thing that really hit me was how much of your time seems to be consumed figuring this journey out. That might be a warning bell. I, like Cat, have no idea what your final plan is. It sounds like you're not sure. I totally get that. At the point you're at I'm pretty sure I was completely in that river known as Denial, but you seem to be aware of what you're doing. That's actually a great thing. I kind of look at it this way, however we all ended up where we are, we are all in the same boat now. Whether we started medication because we have massive orthopedic problems (moi), arthritis (you), or just noticed we felt a bit better that one time we took a pill. Seriously. And so it goes.

Upping your dose because it's less effective-I understand. Upping it because you think it enables you to perform better, feel better, etc. I understand. Taking twice the usual amount to run out early, I kind of understand. But then what?

Honestly, I couldn't taper. I had to CT. That's me. Everyone is different. Some of us have had many tries at quitting (my hand is in the air), some can do it the first time (not most). Some of us have just gotten through those uncomfortable days when we are out before the refill by feigning flu, white knuckling it-whatever it takes. Then starting the whole process again. Some of us quit. Only you know where you fall I this crazy continuum.

How are you feeling now? Do you feel ok physically? Typical day 1 isn't great, days 2-31/2 are worst, day 4 you are existing, day 5 things can make a turn. After a week, things get better physically. Quitting is easy. Staying quit is hard. It just is.

Let us know how you are feeling.. What you are thinking. Take Care. We all know how difficult this is. Big Hugs. Miss Dogs/Sheryl

bones675r is offline New Member

I know it seems like hell and you probably wish you could die or fast forward until it's over. I would ask Dr for tramadol or cold turkey this thing. I've gone cold turkey three times from 300-360mg oxycodone a day for over 10 years to nothing at all. You can make it. Best advice I can offer is keep your mind busy for another few days, pray, pray, pray! Seriously God can end the sickness but He can also make you strong enough to endure the 10 day period you will probably have that you are pretty sick. Fight your mind and tell yourself it's over and you will never go back. Once you convince yourself that it's just the physical part which after just a few months of use shouldn't be bad more than a week. After that you adjust to the old sober you and start to have fun again. God bless you and stick it out.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-07-2015 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bones675r View Post
    I know it seems like hell and you probably wish you could die or fast forward until it's over. I would ask Dr for tramadol or cold turkey this thing. I've gone cold turkey three times from 300-360mg oxycodone a day for over 10 years to nothing at all. You can make it. Best advice I can offer is keep your mind busy for another few days, pray, pray, pray! Seriously God can end the sickness but He can also make you strong enough to endure the 10 day period you will probably have that you are pretty sick. Fight your mind and tell yourself it's over and you will never go back. Once you convince yourself that it's just the physical part which after just a few months of use shouldn't be bad more than a week. After that you adjust to the old sober you and start to have fun again. God bless you and stick it out.
    Yeah I actually had a few Tramadol 50mg so I've taken 1 of those a day over the weekend. I don't know if they did anything but my w/d has been drastically reduced. I'm now on day 5 with no oxycodone. I was taking anywhere from 40-80mg per day so maybe that's why it wasn't as bad as I expected. Don't get me wrong, it was still bad. The lost sleep, flu symptoms, chills, etc. really suck.

Thing is, I don't really feel "sober". What I mean is I don't feel like I was a junkie on the things. I took them for pain, but admittedly during tough parts of like lately I took them to feel better. I never felt like my personality was changed. To me, it's not like a drunk who needs to get sober. Maybe it's denial and maybe it's just that I don't sense my own personality. The main reason for me wanting to get them off them was severe cramping and constipation. I had some bouts that were really scary and I told my doctor about them. She said that the danger is a bowel obstruction.

Well, I am feeling relatively better. My only real issue is horrible sleeping. I feel tired and go to bed like normal and actually feel like I've slept a long time but only an hour has passed.

Last night, I went to bed at around midnight. I woke up and felt like I slept for hours and looked at the clock and it was 1am. I woke up a couple more times and then just got out of bed at 4.

Is this sleep pattern disruption normal when acute symptons are pretty much gone?