Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
Pain killer addiction
    Thepadge86 is offline New Member

Default Pain killer addiction

My question is on pain medication addiction. I know a man who is in his mid-late 30's and is prescribed a tablet known as Lyrica. The amount he is prescribed is 4 tablets a day, however when he receives his monthly prescription he has all tablets taken within a matter of days. He has suppliers who supply him with more monthly doses of Lyrica while he awaits his next prescription. In addition to this he takes numerous valume between 2-8 daily, depending on what is available. He takes 3 Lamictal per day to prevent seizures, he is currently on a methadone program which he takes daily, and on occasions he would take Stillknock which is a strong sleeping tablet. This individual has being abusing his body with this level of medication for almost a decade. MY question is, how much damage is he doing to himself? and is his life at risk?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

A lot.

Yes.
    glakes homeboy likes this.

How much time are we talking? when I looked at the medication hes taken it doesn't seem to mention anything serious

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

You are looking at the. Risks for the medication to be taken as directed..

Your Friend is not doing that..
    There. Is
    No time line ..
    It could happen today
    It could never happen .
    That's the risk!
    You just don't know!

Btw I don't know. What you are reading that says there is no risk taking Valium..

Valium comes with more risks than most drugs..
    Hope your friends learns this..
    Bette
    glakes homeboy likes this.

Bette is correct. The danger is not the drugs per se. The danger is that he allows himself to go to suppliers outside his treating doctor's supervision. Once a person lets himself use illicit supply as an option, he's created an open-ended pathway to deeper and deeper levels of misuse of substances. The misuse of Lyrica is not the issue. The issue is that he will use those suppliers, eventually, to get other drugs that will kill him. For that matter, what is he on the methadone program for? Has he already used suppliers for other drugs, opiates? If it was the big h, his life expectancy is no more than 20 years an addict, so unless he gets with the program MENTALLY (which he has NOT) if you insist on a number, I'll give you ten more years max. But like Bette says, he could mess up tomorrow and OD on methadone/benzo combo.

But, would the amount of medication he is taken over the last decade not affect his body? eg, Liver and Kidneys. He was first addicted to tramke and was taken large amounts before Lyrica

Indeed he could have liver and kidney effects if he has been abusing drugs for many years. I don't know what tramke is?

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Maybe tramadol..

Yes it is possible he has damage from these drugs..
    Bette

Honestly I don't know where both of you have been but people die every 8 mins of pill circumstances especially methadone
    And sleeping pills, and Valium..
    Most Drs or even methadone clinics will not prescribe them together
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-05-2016 at 08:54 PM.

glakes homeboy is offline New Member

I am one who has strong experience with Rx med abuse, and combinations like you've mentioned. I've been clean for 18 months+, and have had 2 blood panels done which showed great kidney, liver function, etc. In fact my Dr. said he had a few patients half my age who'd give anything for test results like mine.
    Now, get this guy some help, if you are able. He is absolutely killing himself. There are agencies in your area who are trained in Interventions. Godspeed!!!