Percocet Taper after 10yrs on Subutex...Pls Need Advice/Support/Encouragement!
    BeTheChange is offline Junior Member

Default Percocet Taper after 10yrs on Subutex...Pls Need Advice/Support/Encouragement!

This is my very first post and I just want to say thank you to everyone on here...you all are amazing...

Tomorrow I meet w/ my doctor and officially begin tapering off percocet.

I was 20 yrs when this started...Subutex by 22 yrs...now I'm 32 yrs old... I've literally spent my entire 20's wrapped up in dependency....It's time to be done... I would really appreciate your input re: a good taper schedule and the right medication to ask for...I know everyone is different...

Current Situation:
    Let me preface this by saying that I've been on Subutex for 10yrs...I've never relapsed. I've had monthly urine screens this entire time- all clean. I've never abused any other drugs...hell, I don't even drink alcohol. I've developed a great relationship with my doctor. He trusts me and my judgement.

So, two wks ago, a root canal damaged the roots in my mouth. My face, mouth, sinus, jaw, & bone area all became hugely inflamed. The pain was paralyzing...horrible, intense, came in waves and I couldn't talk or move until it passed. My doctor took me off Subutex and rx'd Percocet (20mg/6hrs) to treat the pain. I took the meds as rx'd, with no problems. My doctor has done this a few times in the past for medical issues...

It's been 2 wks...the Subutex is out of my system & the facial pain still hurts, but is healing. My doctor and I had "the talk". I told him Subutex is a huge barrier to treatment, when you need legitimate medical care. I didn't want to go back on it, I wanted to taper off the Percocet- he agreed. So, because I'm still healing...for pain & tolerance- he rx'd Percocet (10mg/4x a day) for a week, then we start the taper.

My Subutex dose was 8mg/3x a day. Currently, on the Percocet (10mg/4x a day) I don't feel good and I don't think this dose even meets my tolerance, never mind helps w/ pain...but I didn't ask for more...I'm dealing...and I'm guessing that's the dose he's going to start the taper from (40mg/day)...which kinda sucks because I want to feel strong when I start it...and I feel sick and weak which is a mind f***

Tomorrow we form the taper plan. I'm hoping you all will chime in...as I want to get as much advice as possible before I see him. I know to ask for clonidine and some type of benzo. BTW any medication that I take to help get off the opiates will be short term- so I have no concern about becoming dependent on anything else. I just need off these damn pills.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-01-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Default My Back Story

My Story:
    In life, I'm confident & outspoken- people view me as a very transparent person. There's very little in my life that I'm ashamed about...except this...I am very ashamed about my physical dependence on opiates...Over 10yrs ago, I was around 20yrs old and needed many extensive dental surgeries. I was introduced to pills and I was on them for a long time. They were rx'd... I figured it was no big deal...until Christmas Day, 2005.

My mom flew in for the holidays. Christmas Day I woke up in a cold sweat, vomiting, diarrhea, couldn't stop moving my legs... I was writhing in pain and it was the most horrible feeling. I didn't know what was wrong!!! When my mother said "you look like you're withdrawing from something"...I thought 'oh sh**'...I was going through withdrawal and had no clue. So I took some pills and convinced my mom it must be the anxiety meds the doctors put me on.

That's when my journey began. My dependence was a secret. I was rx'd meds and I used a 'friend' when needed (anything to avoid that horrible sickness)...it was all a secret. I was 20yrs old, lived alone- no family in the area and I told no one. Within two years, I couldn't afford my tolerance anymore... my life was so hard...I was SO tired...the chase, the run around, the hiding...so I decided to stop using and I met w/ a doctor, in a private office. Suboxone gave me headaches, so he started me on Subutex... and I've been on it ever since.

I was so uneducated...and I wish so badly that I'd known that I could've tapered right off the Subutex- instead of maintaining all this time. At that very first appt w/ my doctor- I was done...life was SO hard... I was not ever going to use pills the wrong way again...and I haven't. I'm never going back to that place- ever. I could have tapered off and been free this whole time.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-01-2016 at 01:46 AM.

Help Please....I feel horrible

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange View Post
    Help Please....I feel horrible
    I just posted to you on your other thread. Maybe use that one and let this one disappear. Using one thread is recommended as more that can confuse some of us.

Just a friendly head's up!

Randy