Please give advice to a young college student
    Anonymous Guest

Default Please give advice to a young college student

So I have this friend who is a pre med college student, and she is starting to experience a lot of problems. She played serious sports all through childhood and her teenage years and eventually received a full ride to play in college. Great gpa, stellar ACT score, and was very smart and driven. Then she got hurt and needed back surgery at the age of 17. This was before the DEA cracked down on controlled substances. So imagine a teenager who never took anything but Advil being thrown on 4, 10 mg norco a day - addiction was inevitable (and also in her genes as her parents had addiction problems, and her father had the same surgery and was also in a pain clinic. Don't get me wrong, she is very privledged. She gave up her scholarship for the health of her back and went to an even better school than she was going to play at, her parents both own businesses, and school is payed for, etc. but her parents are divorced. All I can remember is when it started, and now she's a sophomore in college. She fell into a depression at the end of her freshman year because of personal reasons (family, relationships, stress) and she really bottles things up, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Her grades are dropping, nothing horrible, but she's a perfectionist and is used to straight A's. Obviously the college she attends isn't easy, as the bio program is nationally ranked, but she's much more capable than she is performing. Her energy is horrible, she's had insomnia since surgery, and to top it all off, she was recently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and is on 2, 0.5 mg alprazolam a day *as needed*. She doesn't take it every day, but the anxiety is getting out of control sometimes. And another thing, she's been on vyvanse for about a year now because of ADHD, which runs on both sides of the family. It really helps with energy, but adds to the anxiety. She doesn't have any issues with these drugs, but I felt it was necessary to say everything she is on for a proper response from everyone. The moral of the story is, a girl who was once proud, outgoing, and happy has turned into a girl who is unmotivated, not herself, and is very self critical. She has lost her academic confidence and doesn't know what to do. It was maybe 1 month after her surgery that the DEA cracked down on controlled substances and her dosage declined dramatically. She has real back pain (just to clarify). She has had countless steroid injection since surgery and around 5 epidurals total. She wishes more than anything to get off of the norco; however, she actually needs it for the burning and occasional nerve pain/sciatica and numbness. What would you advise she does? I know she'll be truly grateful for the replies because it's very hard to cope while being so young, and sitting down in college studying all the time doesn't exactly help the situation.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    So I have this friend who is a pre med college student, and she is starting to experience a lot of problems. She played serious sports all through childhood and her teenage years and eventually received a full ride to play in college. Great gpa, stellar ACT score, and was very smart and driven. Then she got hurt and needed back surgery at the age of 17. This was before the DEA cracked down on controlled substances. So imagine a teenager who never took anything but Advil being thrown on 4, 10 mg norco a day - addiction was inevitable (and also in her genes as her parents had addiction problems, and her father had the same surgery and was also in a pain clinic. Don't get me wrong, she is very privledged. She gave up her scholarship for the health of her back and went to an even better school than she was going to play at, her parents both own businesses, and school is payed for, etc. but her parents are divorced. All I can remember is when it started, and now she's a sophomore in college. She fell into a depression at the end of her freshman year because of personal reasons (family, relationships, stress) and she really bottles things up, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Her grades are dropping, nothing horrible, but she's a perfectionist and is used to straight A's. Obviously the college she attends isn't easy, as the bio program is nationally ranked, but she's much more capable than she is performing. Her energy is horrible, she's had insomnia since surgery, and to top it all off, she was recently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and is on 2, 0.5 mg alprazolam a day *as needed*. She doesn't take it every day, but the anxiety is getting out of control sometimes. And another thing, she's been on vyvanse for about a year now because of ADHD, which runs on both sides of the family. It really helps with energy, but adds to the anxiety. She doesn't have any issues with these drugs, but I felt it was necessary to say everything she is on for a proper response from everyone. The moral of the story is, a girl who was once proud, outgoing, and happy has turned into a girl who is unmotivated, not herself, and is very self critical. She has lost her academic confidence and doesn't know what to do. It was maybe 1 month after her surgery that the DEA cracked down on controlled substances and her dosage declined dramatically. She has real back pain (just to clarify). She has had countless steroid injection since surgery and around 5 epidurals total. She wishes more than anything to get off of the norco; however, she actually needs it for the burning and occasional nerve pain/sciatica and numbness. What would you advise she does? I know she'll be truly grateful for the replies because it's very hard to cope while being so young, and sitting down in college studying all the time doesn't exactly help the situation.
    What does she say?