• 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Capri0603
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
Please help!!!!!
    Capri0603 is offline New Member

Default Please help!!!!!

I have been addicted to opiates for the past two to three years. For the first two years I just took them off and on to help me sleep, however this pay year I have constantly taken them everyday and these past few months all day every day. I have decided that I am so sick of this life and at this point just really disappointed in myself to have even let get this far. I have a three year old daughter and a huge future away from this. I know it.
    I know as much help and advice, because I have decided that I no longer want to do this. I have most of not all of my recourses and decided that I am going to do this cold turkey by myself. With the support of my mother. I am currently unemployed. So the days I no, will definitely be longer for me during this process. But it's something I HAVE TO DO! If I start tomorrow. How long does this process usually take? And what is it that I need to prepare myself with during his process. I no I have read and heard that the metal of this is the worst as well as the nights. Which I have experienced one night before without, and it was horrible!!!!!!!!! So I could imagine the rest of the nights! But if you all can get through, I no I can. I no there are much far worse out there than I. (No judgement)

Please! I reach out for help and guidance for this horrific journey that I know I have and I am about to ensure!!

P.S.
    My heart hurts, and I need get through this!
    Grumpy0821 and 1967kid like this.

Anonymous Guest

It's great that you've made the choice to quit. It's tough but you CAN do it. Just set your mind to it and don't look back. There's a lot of great people on here who will be able to give you advice. What and how much were you taking per day?
    Grumpy0821 likes this.

Thank you so much okc21 for replying. I no there are so many of us on here reaching out for help so I'm sure it can get repetitive with information. But please, if anyone out there, as well as you, can help me get through this I would appreciate you so much! I want my life back!! I took anything from tramadol, to vicodens, to percocet. Anywhere from 60-80mg a day.

I've been crying my eyes out all day knowing I need to stop this ugly addiction and like I mentioned above I exhausted all of resources and I don't think I want to go to a detox treatment center without trying this on my own first. They all either have a huge waiting list or it's impossible to get in with my insurance. I know I am a strong women and have it in me to do this!! I need stop now and I've acknowledge this. My daughter is above all my number one inspiration. And I feel if I don't stop now this will only get worse and that scares me so much! If you have been through this PLEASE HELP! Any and as much advise from someone who has been through this will help me tremendously! I SCREAM FOR HELP! And most of all, how can I sleep at night or keep myself busy?? And is there anything out there to help me cure the crave for this??

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capri0603 View Post
    I have been addicted to opiates for the past two to three years. For the first two years I just took them off and on to help me sleep, however this pay year I have constantly taken them everyday and these past few months all day every day. I have decided that I am so sick of this life and at this point just really disappointed in myself to have even let get this far. I have a three year old daughter and a huge future away from this. I know it.
    I know as much help and advice, because I have decided that I no longer want to do this. I have most of not all of my recourses and decided that I am going to do this cold turkey by myself. With the support of my mother. I am currently unemployed. So the days I no, will definitely be longer for me during this process. But it's something I HAVE TO DO! If I start tomorrow. How long does this process usually take? And what is it that I need to prepare myself with during his process. I no I have read and heard that the metal of this is the worst as well as the nights. Which I have experienced one night before without, and it was horrible!!!!!!!!! So I could imagine the rest of the nights! But if you all can get through, I no I can. I no there are much far worse out there than I. (No judgement)

Please! I reach out for help and guidance for this horrific journey that I know I have and I am about to ensure!!

P.S.
    My heart hurts, and I need get through this!
    Hello Capri, welcome to the forum! I understand how you feel, it is very normal to be scared about withdrawal and what the future holds? During your detox you will feel like it won't ever get better but it does, I promise! I was so scared when I was getting off of oxycodone last fall. I tapered my meds and I did it way too fast so I was in a constant state of withdrawal for a good three weeks or more! Many prefer cold turkey because you are pretty much done within a week and with the worst of the withdrawals being over by day 4-5? It is also a good thing that you are doing this now while you are out of work as it is recommended to take week off from work while detoxing! Have you heard about the Thomas Recipe for opiate withdrawals? I will find a link for you and paste it in another post? What also helps alot during withdrawal is to read through these forums, a ton of information and inspiration to help get you through? There are a bunch of great people here that will be by and help you along the way so keep posting and updating your thread. Ask as many questions as you need? I'm rooting for you! Stay strong and positive! You can and will get through this! Take care... God bless us all!
    Grumpy0821 likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Here's a copy of the Thomas Recipe. Many people say to avoid the benzodiazepines unless you are already prescribed them? If you use the benzos it is suggested just to use them for the 1st 4-5 days only and preferably at night to help with sleep? Also you can use some otc meds to help with sleep? Others will be by with advice and encouragement so hang in there!

"PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Capri and Welcome!

I have been through cold turkey detox countless times over the course of almost 20 years and I was taking over twice the amount you are taking now. I was never able to stay clean for long before I'd relapse and start all over again. This last time, over six years ago my attitude going into my detox was different and I have found a way for myself to remain clean since. I read threads here and became inspired. I wasn't afraid of facing being sick for a few days and in fact, I was excited to get underway so that the healing could begin. It isn't fun, but it is doable. I promise you it is.

The symptoms you will have and the length of time they will last is very predictable. You can expect to have some level of anxiety, bathroom issues that Immodium will take care of nicely so make sure you have plenty on hand and use it as directed on the package. Many of us, but not all, experience restless legs especially when we're laying down. Hot baths and heating pads set on low will give you some relief for that. Do your best to stay up and moving around during the day. Short frequent walks even if it's just around the house or yard will help you. Drink plenty of fluids because without, you could become dehydrated and that will only make your symptoms feel worse.

Your first day shouldn't be too bad especially if you can keep your anxiety in check. By the overnight hours your symptoms will begin to get worse but by sometime on Day 2 they will be as bad as they are going to get and shouldn't get worse. You will likely feel much, much better by Day 5 but will feel like you are just getting over a bad flu. You'll be weak and tired. You will likely have trouble getting much sleep especially during your first week but it will gradually get better. You can help yourself by eating healthy and beginning to exercise regularly. These things will make you stronger and being stronger will help you to heal quicker.

Cravings are a part of this too. During your detox, you will just want to take something to get a break from feeling sick. Recognize it for what it is and then let it go. Taking one pill will just prolong your detox and it isn't worth it. Begin to find new healthy habits to replace this bad one. I know it sounds silly but it works. If you take on your recovery being in a frame of mind that you are working to get healthy in body and mind, it will help. It really is the same concept as changing bad eating habits or quitting smoking. It may be hard to do, but it's worth it to become healthy and happy.

Read and post. You can and will get through this. Trying to figure out how you will feel tomorrow or next week will begin to drive you crazy so don't even try to do that. All that matters is that you get through this very minute without taking a pill. Those minutes will accumulate but just get through the now. You're going to do just fine. Being sick for a week is a small price to pay for a brighter future.

Peace,

Cat
    Grumpy0821 and Ming23 like this.

Ricky71 thank you so much for your response. That Thomas recipe was actually one of the first things I came across when trying to figure out what I needed to do to stop. So I will try that. I appreciate you and your encouraging words!!!

Catrina, thank you!! I've seen you reply to many people on here and it truly helps me when other people who have gone through this can talk me through it! It's great to no that there is life on the other side and i just can't wait to get there! But I know this is something that I need to take care of before I get started on working full time again because then all I will do is spend money on this mess. These five days couldn't go any faster!! But i am VERY determined to do this!
    My daughter stays home with me full time. I don't know whether I should take her to the sitter the next few days or to keep her with me while I try to fight and overcome this??

My plan: it's 4:16AM and my last dose of vicoden was 27mg at 8pm last night. (That wasn't for a high, that was just to keep me sane for that craving) So I consider today being the first day to a better me! I will record and document my process and I WILL NOT GIVE UP! Please, follow me through this journey and help me anyway to overcome it! I can't lie I'm scared! And I just want this all to be over with! Very disappointed in myself that I got here to begin with! I no am better than this! I don't feel anything at this moment besides wide awake!
    The sweats haven't even begun to take, which I'm surprised because at this point I usually am waking to a pool of sweat.
    Question, what do you guys do at night when you absolutely can't sleep?????? I know that is going to be the worst part for me!

Well, I will keep posting while going through the his and keep you it's updated as much as I can! Please, just help with any information or just to simply be here to talk me through it until I get to day 5. I would appreciate you guys so much for that. And anyone else who!!

Thank you
    Capri
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-27-2016 at 05:31 AM.
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Capri
    You're in the Best place and in the Best hands with a lil help from your friends at the forum. Cat's advice is from experience and you will be ok if u follow her lead. You can do this! In a week it'll be over!
    Hang in there!

Thank you Ming23. I will stay on here to update and get help from others. I have purchased everything from the Thomas recipe except benzo's. I'm assuming this is to help me sleep. Does anyone else have suggestions on what I could use to substitute this?

I wish I could just sleep this whole process off!!

Jc4567 is offline New Member

The next three to four days (depending on when you took your last pill) are going to be extremely tough but it is doable. If you have someone around supporting you it will be even better. I have kicked opiates several times in my life and the bottom line is its 3 to 4 days of being super sick followed by several weeks to a month where you will not be able to sleep..at all. I cant speak to all the vitamins and stuff as I never used them but I can tell you a hot bath or shower does do wonders while in acute withdrawal. Take several of them a day. Also while you feel horrible and it seems unimaginable to exercise but if you do it also has a huge impact. Exercise produces endorphins in the brain that bind with opiate receptors.
    For me kicking was tough but the worst part was not being able to sleep for a month. laying down in bed staring at the ceiling all night sucks but it will subside as well, just takes a lot longer. Don't go crazy with sleep aids as that just reinforces the idea of popping a pill every time we are a little uncomfortable.
    Stay strong, it sounds like you have made up your mind which is key to beating this thing.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Hi there Capri! Congratulations on your decision to get this over with and start a better life! Everybody has given you excellent advice. I agree with Jc about not using OTC sleep aids, but I personally use alternative herbal aids like chammomile, passionflower, valerian root, that sort of thing. However these won't really help the first week (and might actually contribute to nausea) so unfortunately no sleep just comes with the territory. What I did was read. Reading novels will make the time go faster, or watching movies. Be sure to get some strong light during the morning. Go outside for a while in the sun if you have sun out where you are, if cloudy, stay out longer. If you can take walks outside in the sun. This helps regulate all the hormones that keep you awake and asleep during the daily cycle. Also, immodium for the runs helped me a lot. If I could control the runs my whole mood was much more positive, but without controlling those the whole withdrawal thing seemed insurmountable.

Whatever you do, just stick with it. Watch out for sneaky thoughts that will try to undermine your decision. Thoughts like, "I need to be in a good mood for my daughter today." This sort of thing will make you give up and go back to taking a pill. You can make the decision whether it would be better to send her to a sitter. If your mom is there, that's great, allow her to help if you have weak moments like this. The thing to keep in mind is this is very temporary and will be over really fast although it feels real slow right now.

Also, it's best to sip water slowly throughout the day, keep a water bottle with you. This will help prevent headaches and dehydration. Small sips every 10 or 15 minutes are much better than trying to drink a whole glass at once. It will be less likely to contribute to nausea and your body absorbs the water better in small amounts. Don't worry so much about eating if you aren't hungry, your appetite will return in plenty of time to avoid starvation, trust me. But dehydration can happen within a day. Sipping water is mandatory, eating food is not, although small bites of bland things during the day can be helpful to avoid low blood sugar which can contribute to nausea.

You will be feeling much better physically in just a few days. After that there can be lingering effects such as low energy, no motivation and continuing poor sleep (though not as bad as at first!), so consider getting longer term support like attending NA or AA meetings. I found that it took a good 2 or 3 months to really feel back to "normal" so do not get discouraged during the longer time frame, but this horrible withdrawal itself will get much better really soon. Best of luck to you, you can do this!
    Ming23 likes this.