Please help! Diazepam
    Noclue4 is offline New Member

Default Please help! Diazepam

I’m new to the site and am in desperate need of help. I’m in the UK so waiting for my GP to open as only 7am. I have been taking diazepam 2mg on off from 15th a sept - 23rd Nov. When I say 2mg I mean I’d take one tablet maybe a few times a week, sometimes I’d take two tablets in one day and in the past few weeks as had extreme anxious times I’ve had maximum 8mg in one day but also just that week. In this timeline I’ve had approximately 70 x 2mg tablets, I’ll be confirming this with my doctor when I call up. The reason for my post is I am 10000% petrified to my very core!! The reason for me taking this drug is severe panic attacks which landed me in A&E, my panic attacks are from an extreme phobia of gagging/retching therefore vomiting. The kind doctor on the 15th Sept prescribed me 16 x 2mg tablets to take 1-2, 3 times a day. I didn’t do this, I only took one here and there when I needed it. I contacted my own GP when these ran out and he kindly gave me some more as I was in high anxiety and my young son was going for an operation I was certain I wouldn’t be able to get through those days without severe panic attacks. My point is, so sorry, that I’ve been given these tablets and advised that they could be addictive hence the small doses but I’ve called my GP who’s always refilled my script until last week when another doctor was on call and explained that the NHS are still paying for their mistake decades after diazepam came on the market. I then googled about this and have got myself into a panicking frenzy!! Not once was I told about withdrawal ONLY addiction. I am now beyond scared that I’m going to vomit, gag whatever in the coming days. Has anyone had a small dose like mine of 70 x 2mg tablets within a 3 month period, taken as and when needed and come off fine? I’m hurt that my doctor didn’t even mention withdrawal or tapering. Please help me

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noclue4 View Post
    I’m new to the site and am in desperate need of help. I’m in the UK so waiting for my GP to open as only 7am. I have been taking diazepam 2mg on off from 15th a sept - 23rd Nov. When I say 2mg I mean I’d take one tablet maybe a few times a week, sometimes I’d take two tablets in one day and in the past few weeks as had extreme anxious times I’ve had maximum 8mg in one day but also just that week. In this timeline I’ve had approximately 70 x 2mg tablets, I’ll be confirming this with my doctor when I call up. The reason for my post is I am 10000% petrified to my very core!! The reason for me taking this drug is severe panic attacks which landed me in A&E, my panic attacks are from an extreme phobia of gagging/retching therefore vomiting. The kind doctor on the 15th Sept prescribed me 16 x 2mg tablets to take 1-2, 3 times a day. I didn’t do this, I only took one here and there when I needed it. I contacted my own GP when these ran out and he kindly gave me some more as I was in high anxiety and my young son was going for an operation I was certain I wouldn’t be able to get through those days without severe panic attacks. My point is, so sorry, that I’ve been given these tablets and advised that they could be addictive hence the small doses but I’ve called my GP who’s always refilled my script until last week when another doctor was on call and explained that the NHS are still paying for their mistake decades after diazepam came on the market. I then googled about this and have got myself into a panicking frenzy!! Not once was I told about withdrawal ONLY addiction. I am now beyond scared that I’m going to vomit, gag whatever in the coming days. Has anyone had a small dose like mine of 70 x 2mg tablets within a 3 month period, taken as and when needed and come off fine? I’m hurt that my doctor didn’t even mention withdrawal or tapering. Please help me

I would be happy to provide you with as much help and advice as I possibly can but first I need you to clear a few things up from your post that are confusing?

You said that you were taking the Diazepam (Valium) between September 15th - November 23rd? If that time frame is correct then you've only been taking the meds for 2 months and not the "3 month period" you mentioned in your post, here's a direct quote - "Has anyone had a small dose like mine of 70 x 2mg tablets within a 3 month period, taken as and when needed and come off fine?"... Also, from the information that you provided it looks like you haven't taken any Valium since November 23rd? Please update this info and then we'll go from there? God bless us all!

So sorry yes the dates are correct. I’m getting myself all confused. Between the 15th September and 5th November I’ve been prescribed approximately 70 x 2mg diazepam tablets. And between the 15th Sept and 23rd Nov I’ve taken these tablets. I’m waiting for my doctor to call me to confirm exactly how many I’ve been prescribed as all gone (i should have kept track myself). Does this help? Thank you, any advice much appreciated
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-26-2018 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Correct information

So sorry yes the dates are correct. I’m getting myself all confused. Between the 15th September and 5th November I’ve been prescribed approximately 70 x 2mg diazepam tablets. And between the 15th Sept and 23rd Nov I’ve taken these tablets. I’m waiting for my doctor to call me to confirm exactly how many I’ve been prescribed as all gone (i should have kept track myself). Does this help? Thank you, any advice much appreciated
    Yes, thank you for clearing that up. So your last dose was Friday, November 23rd? If so, do you recall what time you took the last dose?

Hi thank you again for replying. I’m not sure exact time but before 10am on 23rd November so 3 days ago

Hi thank you again for replying. I’m not sure exact time but before 10am on 23rd November so 3 days ago

Have you experienced any withdrawal symptoms since your last dose? If you haven't then that's a good sign but you are not totally in the clear just yet. Valium has a very long half-life so it certainly can take a few days before you would start to experience any withdrawal symptoms? I would say that if you still feel okay over the next few days then you are in the clear? If you do start to feel any withdrawal symptoms then I would think that they would be on the mild side and pass fairly quickly, if they are more severe then you might have to go back on the Valium and taper off slowly?

What are your plans for the future regarding the Valium or any other benzos for that matter? Benzos are definitely not a drug that you want to take long-term on a daily basis! I would highly recommend that you do some extensive research on the internet for non-addictive ways to treat your anxiety, there are certain vitamins and amino acids that can help for sure?

If you need a benzo for panic attacks then I would only use them for that purpose only, emergency situations ONLY! And if that's the case then you might want to try a benzo that's more faster acting than what Valium is? For example Xanax or Ativan would be a better choice for panic attacks because it kicks in fast to give you that emergency relief you need?

Again, I can't stress enough how addictive benzos are and the withdrawal symptoms are the absolute worst, more so than any opiate! Be very careful with this class of medication, addiction can happen very fast!

Do you have any additional questions, thoughts and/or concerns going forward from here? Keep your thread updated over the next few days at least so we know how you are doing? ... God bless us all!

I can’t take antidepressants through fear of being sick (original post) this is why I had the major panic attacks mid September, I attempted antidepressants, got myself so worked up I panicked severely and gagged which I’ve never done in all my phobic years. My anxiety has been 24/7 since these panic attacks and often I’ve been taking the diazepam as I wake up instantly anxious and take it to avoid getting to a panic attack. Other days I ride it out hence why I’ve not actually taken the diazepam every single day. Maximum 3 times a week. I have bought an array of vitamins which I want to try. I have recently returned from an anxiety recovery retreat and have a programme and plan in place but trying to implement it after finding out I could be majorly ill in the coming days is making my brain burn. It’s increased my already high anxiety. I don’t know what to expect and my GP still hasn’t returned my call

Apart from constant anxiety and no appetite which I’ve had since the panic attacks, no more symptoms other than I guess even higher increase in anxiety

I can’t take antidepressants through fear of being sick (original post) this is why I had the major panic attacks mid September, I attempted antidepressants, got myself so worked up I panicked severely and gagged which I’ve never done in all my phobic years. My anxiety has been 24/7 since these panic attacks and often I’ve been taking the diazepam as I wake up instantly anxious and take it to avoid getting to a panic attack. Other days I ride it out hence why I’ve not actually taken the diazepam every single day. Maximum 3 times a week. I have bought an array of vitamins which I want to try. I have recently returned from an anxiety recovery retreat and have a programme and plan in place but trying to implement it after finding out I could be majorly ill in the coming days is making my brain burn. It’s increased my already high anxiety. I don’t know what to expect and my GP still hasn’t returned my call

I'm very sorry that you are going through all of this, hopefully you can find lasting relief soon? I have depression myself and I experience anxiety and panic attacks so I know just how awful it can be? I wish you the very best going forward, please keep us posted on everything and let us know what your GP has to say? Take care... God bless us all!

Hi Ricky thank you again for your reply. Have you had diazepam before? I’m even more of a mess now. I’ve managed to speak to my GP after trying since 8am, now 1.30pm!! I’ve managed to clarify how much I have actually had in the 10 weeks, it’s 63 x 2mg tablets. My GP has pretty much deserted me, said he won’t give any information on the phone about withdrawal and that I need to contact a drug rehab programme! I simply asked in his experience have I taken enough to warrant withdrawal and he just said he won’t discuss. Even trying to get all the dates I’d had diazepam prescribed to me was a joke. He originally only gave me ONE date! I was becoming increasingly impatient as there is no shadow of a doubt that I’d had more, after 30’mins he finally gave me the information. I’m sickened for many reasons! 1) it was given without explanation 2) was given again repeatedly without explanation 3) just then refused 4) now no help and being fobbed off. My anxiety is making my skin crawl I feel I’m going insane now I don’t know what to do

Hi Ricky thank you again for your reply. Have you had diazepam before? I’m even more of a mess now. I’ve managed to speak to my GP after trying since 8am, now 1.30pm!! I’ve managed to clarify how much I have actually had in the 10 weeks, it’s 63 x 2mg tablets. My GP has pretty much deserted me, said he won’t give any information on the phone about withdrawal and that I need to contact a drug rehab programme! I simply asked in his experience have I taken enough to warrant withdrawal and he just said he won’t discuss. Even trying to get all the dates I’d had diazepam prescribed to me was a joke. He originally only gave me ONE date! I was becoming increasingly impatient as there is no shadow of a doubt that I’d had more, after 30’mins he finally gave me the information. I’m sickened for many reasons! 1) it was given without explanation 2) was given again repeatedly without explanation 3) just then refused 4) now no help and being fobbed off. My anxiety is making my skin crawl I feel I’m going insane now I don’t know what to do
    How are you feeling since you've had a few more days off of the Valium?

I’m a mess just waiting for it to hit me

I’m a mess just waiting for it to hit me
    Please explain? Are you experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping the Valium? Or are you saying that you have worked yourself up because you think that you are going to experience withdrawal symptoms? It's been 5 days since your last dose correct? Update when you can? God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-28-2018 at 08:46 AM.

I don’t know if it’s rebound anxiety or I’m just working myself up worrying about vomiting. I’ve been fighting anxiety all day and it’s winning

Yes 5 days since last dose of 4mg

Ricky I’m so scared. I can’t believe I’m in this. I’ve had phobia for over 14 years and although horrendous I could manage it. This level of anxiety is something else I don’t know what do I’m so scared

Ricky I’m so scared. I can’t believe I’m in this. I’ve had phobia for over 14 years and although horrendous I could manage it. This level of anxiety is something else I don’t know what do I’m so scared
    Check out "CALM NOW" on Amazon? Read the user reviews?