• 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By silverlining1
  • 1 Post By Kellyann2u
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Kellyann2u
Please help me get off pain pills
    Kellyann2u is offline New Member

Default Please help me get off pain pills

I primarily take 3 to 5 Norco a day for past few months. But have been taking random pain pills daily for past year. The past fees months I have been more consistent tho and more dependant. I have seen what this can do to people and I can not let it happen to me. I am mom of 2 little girls and newly married. I need to stop but I have to do it secretly. My family does not know. So I want to just stop cold turkey but then I am depressed and not motivated and feel like hell. What's the best way for me to do this with out anyone knowing I'm doing it? Im afraid. And I just want to go back to feeling good naturally and not needing a pill to go about my day. Am I already in too deep?

tilesetter67 is offline Junior Member

We are never in to deep in my opinion. Its def a mind over matter issue and the mind is an amazing thing. Im on morning of day 9 after a long hard decade plus issue that started where your at. I think coming clean to people you love is the first step. We need support to move past this mole hill and even more support for the mountain ahead... Mental side. You seem to have your head and heart in righg place you must now follow them. Dont allow the pills to decide whats ahead anymore. Alot of people stand behind a taper. I myself was not strong enough so i jumped and even though its hard i wish >> done it years ago bc was nothing like i built up or expected. Best of luck and there are many people here with great advice and encouragement to help get threw the lows. I post often on my issues and it really helps. I can look back and see how far i come in such short time and when i really needed others they always seem to pick it up and leave there kind words

Anonymous Guest

Kellyann2u,

I signed up, so I could answer your post. I will do my best to help you taper off and support you through it. I would not stop cold turkey especially if you have a family that is not aware that you take this medication. Besides it can be extremely dangerous without a doctors supervision. How much Norco are you taking and when? Do you have a prescription you can utilize to tamper off?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kellyann2u View Post
    I primarily take 3 to 5 Norco a day for past few months. But have been taking random pain pills daily for past year. The past fees months I have been more consistent tho and more dependant. I have seen what this can do to people and I can not let it happen to me. I am mom of 2 little girls and newly married. I need to stop but I have to do it secretly. My family does not know. So I want to just stop cold turkey but then I am depressed and not motivated and feel like hell. What's the best way for me to do this with out anyone knowing I'm doing it? Im afraid. And I just want to go back to feeling good naturally and not needing a pill to go about my day. Am I already in too deep?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

CT is your very best chance of doing this. It's not dangerous one bit and you don't need a doctor to do it. Hundreds of others have come here and done this cold turkey and gone on to be successful. But you can't do it alone in most cases. You need face to face help and support. You can get that kind of help in either NA, AA, or perhaps a counselor or therapist. In NA/AA meetings others are there that truly understand your situation because they've been there done that.

You'll receive tremendous support here, but not like meetings or counseling can provide.

Taking 3 - 5 Norco a day is nothing compared to what most addicts put down daily. Consider yourself very lucky it hasn't gotten completely out of control and you're taking 5 - 10 times that amount. If you stop now you'll have 3 - 4 days of fairly rough symptoms that you can certainly deal with. Then everyday afterwards gets better and better.

Use the Thomas Recipe, but leave the benzo's out of it. Don't need a problem with those I promise you. Here's the link to it below -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

Get as much exercise as you possibly can. They key to getting through the symptoms is staying busy, busy, busy. Rat and drink lots of protein to give some energy. Drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated and to help flush the drugs out faster. Go for walks if you can't exercise in any other manner. Just don't sit around in the house because minutes seem like hours.

Get rid of all extra pills. Flush them and cut off all contacts and ways of getting more. Have to get serious about this if you really want to be clean!

Keep posting as that really helps.

Randy
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Hi, I'm taking only about 3 Norco a day maybe 4. Usually first thing in the morning then noon and evening. It seems like nothing , I know, but it's so hard to just deal with the uncomfortable feeling I start having when my brain thinks I need one. I have limited myself mainly because I know I'm about to stop, so I want to make it easier, not harder. My partner or wife, she is an addict also, she takes Alot of pills. So its always around... But I have to fix my issue n then holfully help her with hers. Anyways I Was thinking of seeing my primary Dr and telling them n maybe they can help. But I mainly just want to Stop asap. Every time I swallow it, I feel... Idk, scared. Scared it's going to get worse!

Randy, thank you. It is relieving to see you say that is should just be less than a week of the rough symptoms. And I really think I can do this. I believe it is very much in my head. I feel so strong and like I can do this, when I read these coments, untill I start coming down. Thank you. I am going to start soon and probably just post my day to day results. In hope that the words of you people will help. Thank you so much.

Tilesetter... How are you feeling now? What are the symptoms once you get past the hard part? Or is it still hard?

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Hey, Kellyann....

You are wise to stop this now! Randy is correct.....you will feel flu like symptoms for about 3 days, maybe 4......you really aren't taking that much.

Problem will be mental. Because you will experience some lethargy for a week or so, and the best way to deal with that is to just keep moving and stay busy.....which won't be hard for you with two kids.

Please trust me on this......you are not in too deep....you could easily do this. But, having the pills around is a different story....it takes a lot of willpower to say no when they are at your fingertips.

So, stay strong, and know you will get back to normal.....and you will have your freedom again, and not be a slave to a pill.

I live with an active addict, who is going through w/d's right now.....THAT is hard, but you have to think about your welfare and your kids......that doesn't mean you love your partner any less.....that is just common sense. And hopefully, you can help her with her addiction.....but, right now, think of yourself, and do this for yourself.....being a slave to a drug is no life.....it is hell on earth with no good outcome.

Keep us posted, Kelly......you can do this....for real.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Thank you silver. I'm so nervous. I know I can do this. I have to...my babies... I can't let it get worse. I just can't! Sometimes I just don't feel strong mentally. But strong in every other ways. I can handle being sick n all that. I hate this. Some days I'm just so ready and some days I'm not. But tomorrow is a new day. I'll be back tomorrow and I am so thankful for this site. Thank you.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Kellyann,

You have been given some wonderful advice here. I admire folks who are able to taper...that wasn't me and it is for exactly the reason you stated. Feeling tired, sad, achy, etc. OK I'll just take one pill and get through this awful day and tomorrow I'll reduce for sure....This will leave you with high anxiety and at least partial withdrawal symptoms for what could be a very long time. I tried to taper countless times and it just never worked. I felt hopeless and like I just couldn't do it. I stumbled onto this Forum and became inspired.

Oh I had plenty of cold turkeys under my belt by then too so I knew exactly what to expect but this time, this time was different. I got rid of any pills I had, deleted my contacts and faced my Day 1 with a courage I didn't know I had in me. I was prepared to be sick and didn't much care what anyone thought. I never admitted I was detoxing but I'm sure my family knew and just didn't say anything. Either way, I didn't care because this was my only way to get to the other side and I was going!

I'm sorry but I just have to say something about your words regarding your partner. You said that you want to get clean and then help your partner. Don't even think about that. Not now and maybe never. More about that later. For now, Just do you.

I know that you're scared and wondering how long this will last and how you will feel. I'm going to give it to you straight. Detox from short acting opiates is very predictable. Your usage is relatively low at this point but won't stay there for long, trust us on that one. For me, Day 1 was mostly a bit of anxiety most likely because I was waiting for the boom to fall. I worked that day but was a little distracted. No real physical stuff until sometime during the overnight hours so say, almost 24 hrs from my last dose. At that point, I was unable to sleep, my legs began kicking (worst symptom for me!) and the mental games began. I laid in bed watching the clock (really bad idea by the way) waiting for each minute to tick off. By morning, I was in need of that box of Immodium. I began to set small goals for myself. Really small goals. 15 minutes. I'll wait 15 minutes and if I can't stand it, I'll make the call. Stir and repeat. By Day 3, I knew I was going to make it. My symptoms had peaked and I was setting 1 hr goals. I'd sit at my computer half the night just reading threads from beginning to end and post.

By the morning of Day 5, my legs were still and most,if not all my aches gone. It wasn't a gradual thing for me. It was as though I was touched by an angel. I felt tired and drained. Much like just getting over the flu. I was back to work on Day 6 absolutely loving and enjoying my mind racing and my clarity. Did I have bad moments mentally? Sure. But I had made up my mind that I was just not going back this time and I didn't. Sleep was the thing that was last to return and for me it took a while and again, it was gradual. One night I might catch 5 hours and the next 2. I just accepted it. If I woke up, I'd give it 15 minutes to fall back to sleep and if I didn't, I'd get up and do something. Please know though, that I used far more per day than you and for many, MANY years. I wouldn't expect it to take long for your sleep habits to return. Certainly more quickly than mine. It was probably about 3 weeks for me to be able to begin to get some consistent sleep. Footnote here. Even though I wasn't sleeping well, I oddly didn't feel that tired. I don't know why but I didn't and I hope that the same is true for you.

Throw those pills away and just do you! We'll be here to encourage you and to cheer. 5 days. I've been sick for longer than that with the flu. Oh. Last bit of advice is that if your legs do bother you, use a heating pad. I had one for each leg and it really, really helped. Hot baths are a savior for both the restless legs and the aches. I have never been so clean (my body!). Almost 6 years for me. I hope someone or something here inspires you and you just dive right in.

Peace,

Cat

PS Cold turkey from opiates IS NOT dangerous. Uncomfortable? Yes.
    Iluv2smile and duncanm like this.

Ok Cat. I hear you loud n clear. And yes.. I hate the restless leg thing! I dread that. What can I do to help that besides heating pads? I do not have those. And if I can't sleep , what do you think about taking Nyquil or over the counter sleep aid or somthing? I don't do well mentally and emotionally with no sleep. I work full time and need to be as ok up stairs As possible for my girls. But I've relized that since hitting 30 and taking theses pills, my head n heart just can't keep up with life if I'm not doing things right. I can't wait to be on day 5 or so of being pill free.... But I guess I need to get to day 1 first hu...

tilesetter67 is offline Junior Member

Sorry for delay life has been very crazy for me since last week. Im currently on day 14 and feel great. My head is clearer my heart is open to my family and friends that where shut out and my love of life is coming back more and more as the days pass. The hardest part for me was day 2. I took imodium every day for 10 days b complex for energy along w 5 hr energy drink and melanoma to try and sleep which didnt work. I was amazed at how much i could function each day on 2 hrs or less sleep each night. I will say hole heartedly i think the most important part other then will to quit was to keep busy. Dont allow your mind to wonder and dwell on the issue at hand or how you feel. Ive still got a long road ahead of me but i am now eating 3 meals a day which are heathly again over bull>>>> i was and sleeping up to 6 hrs per night last 2 days now. Just rem your a strong person and have a long life ahead of you that can be enjoyed buy going threw a week or so of discomfort. I look forward to reading your clean day posts as often as i can bc once you make jump life can only get better

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Kelly,

I wouldn't recommend Nyquil or anything like that. Melatonin that can be found in any grocery store or pharmacy helped to relax me. Like Tilesetter, it didn't really help me sleep but at least I was a bit more relaxed and I think I paid like $5 for a bottle. Try it. It won't hurt you and it's cheap. If it doesn't work if taken as directed, don't be tempted to take more. It doesn't help. No heating pads? Do you know anyone who you might borrow one from? Another thing that someone posted said that they used the surgical socks. You know the ones that are really tight? Those helped that person and it makes sense knowing what the restless legs feel like, it did feel like if I could squeeze them it might help. Sit in a hot tub as often and for as long as you can. The hot water is like magic and the restlessness all but gone. Unfortunately for me, it didn't last for long once out of the tub so back I'd go.

Try not to over think this. If you are truly ready to do this, set your Day 1 and do it! You work full time so if I were you, I'd take my last dose on a Thursday night. Friday won't be too bad and then you'll have the weekend. By Monday, you'll already be on your Day 4 and only have to get through one more day. Again, the amount you take isn't that high and it's entirely possible that most of your symptoms will be gone by Sunday. Make your date. You can't get to the finish until you cross the start line.

Peace,

Cat

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Kelly,
    Hi there..
    Just want to say welcome..
    You can do this because it has been done by many people on here..
    The hylands restless leg OTC med works great..
    I got restless arms too..
    You will be done before you know it..
    If I would of known that 3-5 days it's basically over..
    I wouldn't have go onto methadone for 10+ years
    Then sub for 9 + months..
    Just to avoid wds..
    Crazy ..
    You are right hide your clocks and stay busy..
    Will keep checking on you ..
    Life I'd so much better from this side...
    Bette

Thank you everyone. Next weeknd is it. This weeknd is Halloween m, taking kids out and stuff, next weeknd they are visiting their dad and I have Friday and Monday. So it's a 4 day weeknd and I won't have to worry about my babies. So thats it. Unroll then I'll jus try to get down to 1 a day. I feel like all that have been through this must think I'm being a little dramatic because my useage is nothing near as much as othera intake. But it feels so hard and so scary. And I got myself into the prediciment of not telling my wife, so now I can't have her help me through it. She would if she knew.. But I just can't tell her. I just will bite the bullet and get this in my past, and start fresh. Thank you And I will be posting Alot to get thru this next weeknd.
    silverlining1 likes this.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Good decision, Kellyann....

Post all you want and all you need......and don't get all worked up about it. You have enough time with 4 days to do this.

You have Netflix? or anything like that? Just queue up the movies and relax....you'll do fine. Just good to keep your mind occupied.....you could think of it as a little vacation.