Please help me with some advice with codeine taper/withdrawal
    Zakpp is offline New Member

Default Please help me with some advice with codeine taper/withdrawal

Hi will try to keep this fairly short, currently taking codeine every other night in form of syrup (with promethazine) and take around 100-180mg codeine each time and have done for around 18 months or so and have quit cold turkey before whilst being away on holiday and it was 5 days of awful anxiety and bad flu symptons i could barely leave the hotel room even though i thought the dosages i were taking werent that high...

my question is i want to taper this time but to do a successful taper would i have to use every day instead of my current every other day, i start getting fairly bad withdrawal symptons on the second day without it at the moment and not really sure the best way to go about this without doing another cold turkey, thanks

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zakpp View Post
    Hi will try to keep this fairly short, currently taking codeine every other night in form of syrup (with promethazine) and take around 100-180mg codeine each time and have done for around 18 months or so and have quit cold turkey before whilst being away on holiday and it was 5 days of awful anxiety and bad flu symptons i could barely leave the hotel room even though i thought the dosages i were taking werent that high...

my question is i want to taper this time but to do a successful taper would i have to use every day instead of my current every other day, i start getting fairly bad withdrawal symptons on the second day without it at the moment and not really sure the best way to go about this without doing another cold turkey, thanks
    I'm sorry no one has responded to your thread as of yet. I see that you haven't logged in for a couple of days now? If you still need advice regarding the codeine taper then leave a quick update, I'd be happy to help if you still need it? Take care... God bless us all!

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zakpp View Post

I can't say for sure what a good taper might be, but I took several months of lowering my Fentanyl use. 12.5 mcg every three or four weeks. It helped me stabilize at the lower dose. When it became clear that I was in withdrawal at 25 mcg total, I quit and faced the withdrawal. It wasn't easy. I don't think it's supposed to be. The Thomas Recipe gave me some good insight into what to get to smooth it out, but it still sucked.

I hope you can taper down to a decent jump point and quit. I did it. Don't rush yourself. You'll know when it's time to face the music.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Just a warning... tapering opiates is not a walk in the park. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline and mental fortitude to stick to the taper.

If you were taking codeine every other day...... there is NO reason you have to dose daily if you want to taper yourself down. However, for the purpose of tapering off... myself I would definitely without question recommend you switch to daily dosing in order to avoid high highs and low lows. The good euphoria from the high highs will make you want to keep using and make the taper that much harder. The low lows at the tail end of the 48 hours will make you crave like mad during your taper.

Remember.. this is not rocket science.... the goal is to just take less and less codeine over time.... while still making sure that you take just enough to avoid WD symptoms and still feel comfortable.

So... maybe.... whatever dose you are taking every other day... cut that in half and take it every single day. That might make the blood levels of codeine smooth out a bit.. instead of peaks and valleys where you peak each time right after you take it, and valley in the 2 days that go by and you are at a time right before you dose again.

I say go daily because with smoother and consistent levels of codeine in your system with a daily dosing instead of an every other day dosing.... the highs won't be as high, and the lows won't be as low. That way, the lows won't be so bad that during your taper you start craving like made and then fold and break your taper. And also, that way your highs won't be as high and thus you should have a bit less desire to use each time and that would also help with the cravings.

It's basically like long acting opiate pills versus short acting opiate pills. Which ones do addicts prefer? The short acting of course... for the big rush when you take it. The idea again with daily dosing.. smooth out your blood levels of codeine... take away the euphoric highs and the crazy craving lows... and smooth it out to daily dosing, and drop little by little each day and read your body and see how you respond.

You can take it slow if you want.. Drop 10mg a day every day.... and maybe every 5 days or so park it and keep that dose the same for 2-3 days to give your body a break.. and then taper on down again 10mg a day or something. See what your body can tolerate, and adjust as necessary.

At some point... you will have to decide on a dose to just jump. There is very unlikely gonna be anything like a smooth 100% comfortable taper down to 1mg a day and then jump with no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. At some point.. you will have to decide enough with the taper and time to jump and pay the piper.... There is no way around it. But, with lesser doses, and with the weak opiate like codeine is, if you can get your habit down to a small amount.. the WD should be quite manageable. Maybe like 50mg and below of codeine could be something jump-able.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2017 at 08:42 PM.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Just want to add one more thing.... Codeine is a weak acting opiate... but just because it's weak.... doesn't mean you can't just take massive doses and be dependent on it just like someone with an oxy habit or a moprhine or H habit. But, the weak opiate factor should still count for something when it's time to jump and be something that is in your favor, even if you are taking a huge amount that converts into an equivalent large amount of like oxy.

I don't have that much experience with codeine myself (opiates were my drug of choice, but it was always oxy/morphine/H which are all pretty much equivalent strengths), and thus don't have a good "feel" for it, or a personal experience of what to expect from a codeine withdrawal, or how much the optimal jump dose should be; but at the same time I know a lot about these class of drugs so I still know something so it's not like I am blind guessing here either. Everything in the above post.. are some general guidelines and an idea for your to follow.

If you want, what I would recommend is try lookling for other ppls threads that have documented their codeine taper and WD experiences... just google it, and add the tags "drugs.com" or whatever website to your keywords if you want specific search results from those specific websites.

I'm sure there will be dozens upon dozens of posts by ppl that have gone through codeine WD, and documented their experiences. Without enough research, you can get a pretty good idea of how other successful people have tapered and how much they jumped off of dose-wise, and you can see what plans had good results.. what plans had bad results... how fast the ppl with good experiences went, how fast the ppl with bad experiences went, and etc.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.

rehab1000isl is offline New Member

It seems to me you are in a state of early symptoms of codeine taper. Symptoms may last for a week, or they may persist for months after stopping codeine use. Physical withdrawal symptoms are strongest in the first few days after you stop taking codeine. Most symptoms are gone within two weeks. However, behavioral symptoms and cravings for the drug can last months. In rare cases, they can even last years. Everyone’s experience with codeine withdrawal is different. Symptoms may last for a week, or they may persist for months after stopping codeine use. Physical withdrawal symptoms are strongest in the first few days after you stop taking codeine. Most symptoms are gone within two weeks. However, behavioral symptoms and cravings for the drug can last months. In rare cases, they can even last years. Everyone’s experience with codeine withdrawal is different.
    Gradually reducing your use allows your body to adjust to less and less codeine until your body no longer needs it to function normally. Your doctor can help you through this process or refer you to a treatment center. They may also suggest behavioral therapy and counseling to help you avoid relapse.
    Your doctor may also suggest certain medications depending on whether you have mild, moderate, or advanced withdrawal symptoms.

Default please help

Hi im new here & this is day 2 without codiene i use to take up to 20 tabs a day 30mg codiene & paracetamol! I really want to quit as i have 5 kids but cant seen to funtion without it i cant socilize without it & cant sleep either & the side efects are killing me
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-09-2017 at 11:04 AM.

ninjanz is offline New Member

I would recommend immodium. I am 12 days clean from opiates and have no intention to ever go back. Immodium really saved me during the first 4 days which were the hardest. They took away at least 50% of the withdrawal symptoms for me. I still have cravings every now and then but my body is healing and I am doing really well. I quit cold turkey which I don't think is recommended but I just had to take the jump and hold on. Tapering was way too hard for me

Autumnhopes is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by scoobz1989 View Post
    Hi im new here & this is day 2 without codiene i use to take up to 20 tabs a day 30mg codiene & paracetamol! I really want to quit as i have 5 kids but cant seen to funtion without it i cant socilize without it & cant sleep either & the side efects are killing me
    You are to be commended for wanting to & making that effort to quit!! I also have extreme anxiety & can't socialize with others when I'm off the narcotics. It took a solid 2 weeks to feel a little normal.. (I think normal) & 3 weeks to be able to sit still. It was the worse 3 weeks of my life but I got through. Then made the mistake of starting up with opioids again. I'm so stupid! But you can do it. I just discovered this website & it's a gift!! Make use of it. I intend to. There are so many wonderful people here to support you!! You can do it Scoobz!!!