• 1 Post By CoolMommaDuck
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Plzhlp
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
Please help with methadone withdrawal strange (?) symptom
    Plzhlp is offline New Member

Question Please help with methadone withdrawal strange (?) symptom

Hello, hope someone can help me.

I was on 120mg for 5 years and on 90mg for another 5. Because of a few issues I can explain if needed/wanted (first being I wanted to feel human again), I decided to stop taking it 3 weeks ago. To be honest I wasn't very informed on what was to come, I've heard the 'hardest drug to kick' slogan around, but distrusted it, mainly because in the past I've heard the horrors about H withdrawal and I always could withstand it with somewhat ease, I thought this was going to be the case... How wrong I was. Everyday I'm feeling worse and worse, sometimes I think I'm going to die.

Been trying to find info online and I have all the symptoms that people usually state: zero energy, pain all over, insomnia (slept for 10 hours since, if that much), muscle and stomach cramps, gigantic anxiety, sweating profusely, RLS, deep depression etc..

The reason I needed to post a thread (hope it's not against the rules) is that I have 2 symptoms I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and really hope to get some feedback:

- Brain electric shocks

This one has already gone away (the only one, and the runs are better too but not gone) so it's not too important, I'll state it for someone else that could have it. It was like I was getting electric shocks in my brain, I was really really worried about it but has I've said, it's gone now, fortunately, I don't want to dwell on it.

- Goosebumps ()

As you most probably must have noticed, English is not my mother language. I've seen goosebumps being mentioned but I think that doesn't describe what I'm feeling, please elucidate me if that is or isn't the case. What I think goosebumps are is like quick chills and chicken skin. Mind you, I have those too, along with sneezing but I like this sneezing thingy!! (call me crazy, I know). What I feel is better described as if my insides were made of ice, my entire skin is burning all the time, but it's a cold burning. Can someone talk to me about this? Is this 'normal'? Can I do something about it? Hot baths help a bit, but last until I get out of the bathtub.

I'm cold turkey'ing while working and (trying) to lead a normal family life with my wife and daughters, and it's driving me crazy. I'm just so glad in the midst of all the misery I'm in right now, my resolve and even thought processes are better than the last years of this torpor I've drowned my self in.

Hope to hear some feedback, thanks in advance.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Yes those are normal for opiate especially methadone withdrawal..
    It affects the hypo thalamus which regulates the temperature and right now your is all out of whack..
    For lack of a better word..
    But your brain is learning to refire, regulate and basically function without being saturated with opiates..
    For the years it hasn't really had to do these normal functions on its own..
    You know how some people are so hot on methadone..
    Same system being affected..
    It really puts the body out of homeostasis and the brain will do whatever it needs to get back to that.
    During years of abuse the methadone has been your feel good chemicals that regulated a lot of things in the brain ..
    Not abruptly it is gone so it will take some time..

You are doing great..
    Stay hydrated with water .. Very important to the cell..
    Multi vitamins..

Methadone users develop a slush in the Dolan so any nutrient that is taken during that time is unable to absorb..
    So most opiate addicts are mineral and vitamin depleted..
    Check out the thomas receipe on here..
    The suggestions on there as simple as they may sound really help..
    I am not a dr but a long time high dose x methadone user..
    I did a lot of research this time when I got offof it 6 months ago..
    I went to suboxone and I am now tapering that..

I have never thought twice about it ..
    In the end I hated methadone and I hated myself for being on it..
    Keep up the hard work..
    This too will pass..
    Please keep posting there are a few people on here now detoxing from methadone..
    There is a lot of success and support here..
    I will check back later
    Iluv2
    Randy35, Plzhlp and iwannalive like this.

@ILuv2smile

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking (as everybody else that went through this I guess) that I've permanently damaged some thing in my brain/body. I still am but a little bit less! This constant burning feeling is unbearable and it's slowly amping up all the time. When will this be over??

I'll update whenever I can or you ask

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plzhlp View Post
    @ILuv2smile

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking (as everybody else that went through this I guess) that I've permanently damaged some thing in my brain/body. I still am but a little bit less! This constant burning feeling is unbearable and it's slowly amping up all the time. When will this be over??

I'll update whenever I can or you ask

We put our bodies and brain into a kind of shock or fogged-over feeling with drug use/abuse, but the good news is our body and system is very resilient, it repairs itself once we get off the garbage! The symptoms you describe are all quite normal as Bette (Iluv2) said. Its basically the same with most other opiates.

The best way to get off methadone is to taper slowly as low as you can possibly get the dose. I know you jumped around 3 weeks ago and while that's some significent time off, it could take a while longer I'm afraid, especially if you jumped at 90mgs. Everyone's different, but the methadone is a very strong drug with a very long half life. That means how long it takes for half the drug to leave your body.

I was also a high dose, long time methadone user. I switched to subs as Bette did and it worked perfectly for me! It's believed to be much easier tapering the subs than the m-done and I believe that's very true. You don't feel high with subs so tapering that drug is easier.

Methadone made me into a monster of sorts. Took my soul from me. Walked around like some kind of zombie. Never so happy to get off it.

You can continue to fight the symptoms, but you may have a longer run of symptoms as I said. You could get back on and taper lower, or perhaps switch to subs and taper that. I know the thought of going "back on" something again sounds cruel and maybe not for the best, but maybe it is after all. Only you can make that decision.

Keep posting and we'll continue with the support. Be well.

-Randy
    Iluv2smile and Plzhlp like this.

You cannot imagine how good it is to finally talk to someone 'in the know' about this. Thank you from the heart.

I was going through this by myself, but I couldn't take it anymore so I spoke to a friend and I couldn't hide it anymore so I spoke to my wife (it was hard to believe I had the flew for so long and without fever as is usual in me). She's very worried as I would expect and the reason I wanted to keep it from her. She's of course of your opinion that I should taper it down with help from my doctor, but I just couldn't take it one day more, let alone spread it for months. Although I can talk to them about this, they have little to no clue what this is (the withdrawal and the feeling, or lack of, when on methadone). Thank you again for your words, they mean the world for me right now.

It's very true that, particularly at nights (the nights are the worse, is it 'normal'?), I think about taking just a little to help me in this despair, but I never did it out of fear of resetting the progress and mostly because I don't ever want to be in that state of mind again (I had a sort of breakdown one month before I decided to quit).

It will get better..
    I would educate myself on PAWS if you already haven..
    It can happen after the acute withdrawals are gone..
    It can show up like depression lethargy anxiety.
    All the strong emotions that we feel in the acute phase..
    It is once again the brain learning all over to make its own feel good chemicals..
    It s own calming effect chemicals..
    Our brain is very capable of keeping us emotionally stable and our having a healthy outlook..
    But Afterbeing saturated with opiates especially methadone..the brain has to start over..

I know a few people myself included that have gone back on methadone or their other DOC when these symptoms appear..
    The main reason is fear they will last for ever..
    But they don't ..
    It will pass..
    We didn't get this dependant overnight so we won't get well overnight..
    Please just hang in there..
    You are gonna be ok..
    You will be able to do anything after this because this is by far probaly the hardest thing you will ever do..
    Please take care and keep posting..
    Take care
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-11-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    iwannalive and Plzhlp like this.

CoolMommaDuck is offline New Member

Plzhlp,
    Got on methadone because of undiagnosed CMT. Was on 85 - 100 mg 15 years. Stopped ct several years ago made it almost a year til symptom flare up sent me back. Finally correctly diagnosed myself 5 years ago and was able to get genetic testing to prove.
    Now due to new state laws was switched to mscontin 60 x 2 a day in September. Better than cold turkey, but I still wonder if I will ever be right again.
    "Brain shocks" - this is one side effect I have had especially when I went CT. I had never seen mention of anything like it, glad to know I wasn't just crazy and others have experienced it too. I have wondered if it had to do with methadone's side effect related to increased intracranial spinal fluid pressure. Also I had an unrelated MRI while I was in CT withdrawal, the report said my brain appeared shrunken like someone much older than myself. Scans since have been normal.
    Plzhelp, if you have made it this far cold turkey then the worst is over! I definitely understand why CT, a slow taper just seemed to me like extended torture. No matter what, be proud of yourself, you've done something most people couldn't.
    I am so glad to finally find some people who can understand what I'm dealing with.
    Much Love to everyone ,
    Coolmommaducky3
    Plzhlp likes this.

Thank you for all of you that take a moment of your time to give me some support, it really helps.

@ILuv2smile It scares me that there's even a possibility that I wont be fine in one year, guess the best thing to do is to be expecting it, but that's a dark future.

@CoolMommaDuck Glad to know that I wasn't the only one with brain shocks (not glad that YOU have had it too! Wish you were ok!) They're pretty gone now for me.

As for the other symptoms I'm starting to think they love me too much to leave. Been making extra effort to keep occupied with things I love during the day, and because the nights are hell, been going out with friends (instead of dwelling in my misery at home) and having some fun, but it's a physical struggle to walk or stand for more than a couple of minutes. I get completely soaked in an instant and that's so uncomfortable. On top of that I smell funny, never had an issue of BO before in my life. It's not too strong but it's a smell that makes me sick (anyone had this?).

Yes I had that smell from ct a couple of times when I ran out of methadone early.
    I disn't think anyone else could smell it..
    Hopefully not! Lol
    It is strange..
    Please don't get sad about the future..
    It can only get better.
    I was just telling you so if something should feel off what it might be..
    My new motto is
    Prepare for the worst but expect the best!

So much is mental..
    I got off methadone 2 times before now and did not know anything about what could happen..
    I freaked out and went back on it..
    The depression and insomnia , lethargy felt like it would last for ever..
    Now I know it is Temporary!
    It will pass..
    So you are doing great!
    1 in a million probaly a lot less get of of methadone!
    You are 1 of them!
    Be proud and keep on expecting the days to get better and sleep will come..
    Take care
    Iluv
    Plzhlp likes this.

'I didn't think anyone else could smell it..
    Hopefully not! Lol'

eh eh I worry about that!! But it seems not. It's just that I don't like it at all.

'The depression and insomnia , lethargy felt like it would last for ever..'

That's my state of mind, I try to convince myself it wont but deep down I'm afraid it will.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

But it can't stay forever the body is constantly changing always trying to maintain homeostasis.
    With our brain being saturated with opiates the brain stopped making its own feel good chemicals ..(endorphins)
    Once those are stopped the brain will make its own to maintain that homeostasis.
    Anything we can do to speed that process along will help..
    Exercise
    Laughing
    Chocolate
    Sex
    Hot chilies
    Success in something
    Watching a scarey movie
    Things like this make the brain produce its own
    Pain reliever
    Morphine like chemical
    That if not on opiates the chemicals we need to maintain..
    Excitement
    Love

You know what I mean ..
    It's is always changing so now we have to help it change in a healthy way..
    So keep thinking positive thoughts that does a lot for the process..
    Take care
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-15-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Plzhlp likes this.

What a rough couple of days I've been having. The duration and intensity of this it's starting to take a toll in my personality. I'm usually a happy go lucky kind of guy (although I'm a pessimist and depressed on the inside) and it's being very hard right now to keep that tactic on. Hope tomorrow will be better. Trying to gather some strength to get home and take a bath. My back is hurting a lot.

Sorry for being a downer.

Nanette50 is offline Banned

Default My best bud is a drug counselor and has had many ppl successfully get off methadone

What a rough couple of days I've been having. The duration and intensity of this it's starting to take a toll in my personality. I'm usually a happy go lucky kind of guy (although I'm a pessimist and depressed on the inside) and it's being very hard right now to keep that tactic on. Hope tomorrow will be better. Trying to gather some strength to get home and take a bath. My back is hurting a lot.

Sorry for being a downer.
    Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Is does get easier. You have a lot of time behind you now. One day you'll look in mirror and see yourself for the first time again. Methadone clouds your beautiful eyes and dulls them. I'm praying for you.

QTPatooty is offline New Member

Hi I hope you are starting to feel a little better. I too have had the brain zaps before when I did a cold turkey off of effexor xr and they were terrible. And then when I missed 2 days of my methadone I started to get the zaps again. Anyway I am tapering my methadone I was at 85mgs. and started tapering 11-1-14. The first week I went down 8 mg. then the 2nd week came down 7 mg. and every week since then I have been coming down 5 mg. I am currently at 50 mg. Even tapering this way seems to drag on. I have been doing alot of research on the various ways to detox quickly and as pain free as possible. I believe I may have found

Quote Originally Posted by QTPatooty View Post
    Hi I hope you are starting to feel a little better. I too have had the brain zaps before when I did a cold turkey off of effexor xr and they were terrible. And then when I missed 2 days of my methadone I started to get the zaps again. Anyway I am tapering my methadone I was at 85mgs. and started tapering 11-1-14. The first week I went down 8 mg. then the 2nd week came down 7 mg. and every week since then I have been coming down 5 mg. I am currently at 50 mg. Even tapering this way seems to drag on. I have been doing alot of research on the various ways to detox quickly and as pain free as possible. I believe I may have found
    Unfortunatelly I'm not only feeling better but much worse, even the brain zaps started again (a bit different though, I don't get the zaps per se, only the strange feeling after I used to get them, similar to when you open your mouth when you are sleepy). The cold feeling and burning skin keep rising in intensity. Very annoying, and although I'm fighting with all I've got to keep things in perspective, the truh is I cannot shake the feeling that something else is wrong with me. I know the crazy amount of insomnia takes a big part, and even the unusual cold weather we're having in my country is not helping at all. Starting to seriously doubt if I can pull this off. I'm leaving for a party with long time friends, and to have a new project meeting, so maybe that can get my mind of things.

Thanks for all you guys words.

I hope you can hang in there.
    Sometimes there are other things going on..
    I never had any illness on methadone..
    I think cuz my brain was so saturated..
    Why don't you make an appt with your regular doctor.
    It wouldn't hurt to have some blood work and maybe he can reassure you..
    It will get better..
    It is kinda like you get what you put into it..
    It we put at least 75% of our energy into getting better as we did when we were getting the pills taking them counting them worring about them..
    We would do ok..
    For me using pain pills had become a job..
    Now I have free time and sometimes it is hard to be proactive..
    Prepare for the worse but EXPECT the best..
    Then you will be ok
    I will check back later!
    Take care
    Iluv2

Update:

Last post I wrote was Saturday night. Had a wonderful evening, fought to overcome my physical lack of energy and pain, and almost forgot about it.

Sunday - got home from party and tried to rest for an hour before heading to work. I think this Sunday I've hit the lowest point (I hope). Maybe it was exhaustion working, but that burning feeling was much stronger than ever before. Seemed I was drowned in a pool of boiling oil. I had to go home early in the afternoon because I felt I was going to faint, took some sleeping pills in a desperate attempt to rest (I've always hated them, they're not my thing although I've always had insomnia), and woke up in

Monday morning (now): feeling waaaay better!! The worst part for me has always been nights, since I lay down to sleep (try to...) and just before I finally get the courage to get up. Today I woke up and the burning feeling was almost not there!!! I even woke up my wife with joy!!!

I still fear this is not the beginning of the end, and don't want to get disappointed if it comes back, but I just had to share some joy with you instead of the usual self pity that I hate myself for spouting at you.

You are doing great..
    This is the place to document how bad and how good we feel..
    So in a few days you can go back and see how far you have come!

I always say :
    Prepare for the worst but expect the best!
    This is such a mental war
    Sleep is last to stabilize for 99% of people going through this!
    Hang in there and I am so happy to hear you ARE feeling better..
    Iluv2

One more week as passed and all but three symptoms seem to be getting milder. I have a little more energy and the burning feeling is definitely more bearable, though far from gone. I still get big anxiety attacks but they don't last as long as before. Nights are still the worst time I have if I stay at home and try to rest (maybe it's the laying position?).

Last couple of days the unusually timed sweating as comeback, but the strange smell that nauseated me is gone!!

Insomnia is worse than ever. And I've always had craaazy insomnia. It seems I go days and days without a minute sleep, but when desperately turning in bed I surely must be getting some shut eye, or else I think I'd be in a coma right now. Fighting not to take sleeping pills, but sometimes desperately cave into them because

that aftermath after the brain zaps (the zaps I don't get anymore, or they are so weak that I only am aware of the aftermath) gets worse and worse the longer I don't sleep.

I was never into sleeping pills so maybe someone can elucidate me about them please: If I take them enough times, when I'll stop taking them, the side effects are insomnia again, or something more? The papers inside are always so broad and scary, I feel I don't get any kind of idea of what could happen. Thanks in advance.

Two more questions if you're so kind:

1 - WTF is happening to my skin?? It seemed I've aged ten years last couple of months, I don't recognize my own hands, feeling very sad about it, although I'm not a guy that puts weight on looks. Put more cream? And this brings me to my second question,

directed to men or someone who dealt with this issue with one.

2 - Same aged skin effect on my sex, but the sad look of it is the least of my concern. First week of ct I would get 10 hours straight erections (wasn't sexually aroused... most of the time!). When I was a boy playing soccer, sometime the football would hit my own ones (!) and it hurt like hell for a while, and the aftermath (it seems withdrawal is big on aftermaths for me) would ensue after that. A lingering and annoying pain. That's the pain I'm feeling when I get excited. On top of that I'm performing (if one could call THAT a performance) like the boy that went to loose his virginity after getting hit on the balls playing soccer... HEEEEELP!!!

To finalize some good news to get all our the spirits up. Finishing the next BIG worldwide sci-fi novel, not trolling I hope! Working somewhat closely to the top director of the moment here in my country. Hope it comes to fruition and all of you get to see it. It will change your world ) A lot of this awful experience and what preceded it, is on the pages on a closer look, and you are in the know!

Best wishes for 2015.

I am glad you have hung in here and there..
    Sleep is the last thing to stabilize.
    Have you tried Valarian root or melatonin?
    If you have sleeping pills and benefits outweigh the risks of taking them I would do it but sparingly..
    You are still in the beginning of your body recovering..
    You need to nurture it and sleeping is essential to rebuilding..
    They always say no one ever died from lack of sleep..
    But I do think a person could go delusional..
    Cuz I felt so spaced out when I didn't sleep..
    It sounds exciting about your novel..
    That certainly helps having something to look forward too..
    Thanks for the update..
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-28-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Far from over this thing is....

Thank you for letting us know you are hanging in there..

What is going on ?
    You have had some good days ( hours) sprinkled in with the mess I hope..

Please hang in there..
    I have finally jumped from my sub taper..
    Even though it is not always perfect it is far better than being dependent on something to just function...

I will check back later
    Iluv2

I forgot to say..
    Please get some blood work done and a check up..
    Randy that posted to you above did that and was able to diagnose reason for not feeling right..

This long term opiate use takes its tole on lots of organs .
    Especially hormones..

They determine our well being..
    I bet you could find out why you are still not feeling good..
    It's almost 3 months right?
    Bette

Sorry for the late reply but I was feeling very depressed I just couldn't bring myself to write.

Finally I'm feeling better, brainshocks and sneezes are completely gone. Still struggle with lack of energy and burning skin but it's not constant nor with such intensity as before, hoping it's going to eventually fade to zero.

Thanks again for the time you've kindly spent.

I am glad you powered through..

That was by far one of the most difficult things you will ever do..
    You made it ..
    Amazing !
    How long has it been now?
    Thank you for the update!
    It gives others hope...
    Take care
    Bette

myonlysteam1993 is offline New Member

Hello, hope someone can help me.

I was on 120mg for 5 years and on 90mg for another 5. Because of a few issues I can explain if needed/wanted (first being I wanted to feel human again), I decided to stop taking it 3 weeks ago. To be honest I wasn't very informed on what was to come, I've heard the 'hardest drug to kick' slogan around, but distrusted it, mainly because in the past I've heard the horrors about H withdrawal and I always could withstand it with somewhat ease, I thought this was going to be the case... How wrong I was. Everyday I'm feeling worse and worse, sometimes I think I'm going to die.

Been trying to find info online and I have all the symptoms that people usually state: zero energy, pain all over, insomnia (slept for 10 hours since, if that much), muscle and stomach cramps, gigantic anxiety, sweating profusely, RLS, deep depression etc..

The reason I needed to post a thread (hope it's not against the rules) is that I have 2 symptoms I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and really hope to get some feedback:

- Brain electric shocks

This one has already gone away (the only one, and the runs are better too but not gone) so it's not too important, I'll state it for someone else that could have it. It was like I was getting electric shocks in my brain, I was really really worried about it but has I've said, it's gone now, fortunately, I don't want to dwell on it.

- Goosebumps ()

As you most probably must have noticed, English is not my mother language. I've seen goosebumps being mentioned but I think that doesn't describe what I'm feeling, please elucidate me if that is or isn't the case. What I think goosebumps are is like quick chills and chicken skin. Mind you, I have those too, along with sneezing but I like this sneezing thingy!! (call me crazy, I know). What I feel is better described as if my insides were made of ice, my entire skin is burning all the time, but it's a cold burning. Can someone talk to me about this? Is this 'normal'? Can I do something about it? Hot baths help a bit, but last until I get out of the bathtub.

I'm cold turkey'ing while working and (trying) to lead a normal family life with my wife and daughters, and it's driving me crazy. I'm just so glad in the midst of all the misery I'm in right now, my resolve and even thought processes are better than the last years of this torpor I've drowned my self in.

Hope to hear some feedback, thanks in advance.
    Hey I would recommend a slow taper when getting off I'm on my first week off of methadone and have the same symptoms i recommend to get some kaopectate for the upset stomach and diareah it doesn't make u sleepy so its good for work time

Coyotegrey is offline New Member

I made a post under the Thomas recipe. I am about to detox off methadone.im at 44 mgs and they are going to take me down 2 mgs a day. In 2008, I came off 66mgs at 5 mgs a day and it was pure hell. I dehydrated, had seizures, went out of my mind and almost died. So I'm hoping this time will be better, I am going to try the Thomas recipe and I am going to try to post my experience as I do it, in hope that I may help someone and that people may help me

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotegrey View Post
    I made a post under the Thomas recipe. I am about to detox off methadone.im at 44 mgs and they are going to take me down 2 mgs a day. In 2008, I came off 66mgs at 5 mgs a day and it was pure hell. I dehydrated, had seizures, went out of my mind and almost died. So I'm hoping this time will be better, I am going to try the Thomas recipe and I am going to try to post my experience as I do it, in hope that I may help someone and that people may help me
    Coyotegrey - welcome to the forum. You'll want to start your own thread so you can get personalized help and support! Quick question you can answer when you get your very own thread started, why are you being tapered so fast?