Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
pregablin
    robina87 is offline New Member

Default pregablin

is it safe to open a 150mg pregablin capsule and use half at a time. thanks
    they are called lyrics in america i think
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-11-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I don't think it's an extended release so from the standpoint of not giving you too fast dose all at once, it's probably safe, however, it might not be safe for your particular situation. If you are taking it to prevent seizures you should not reduce your dose without talking to your doctor. If you have been on a certain dose a long time, you should not reduce your dose by half suddenly without talking to your doctor.
    robina87 likes this.

robina87 is offline New Member

thanks for reply its not for me its for my son who has fibromyalgia and he said it feels to strong for him. i have to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment as he will only see one doctor at the practise. my son also suffered from mental health problems as well and won't take any mediacations for it. so we have to be very patient with him. thanks for much for the reply.what i was worried about was that it could hurt his stomach if i broke the capsule. its not extended release. this is the first time he has had this medication.from what i'v read about it i thought it had to be built up over time to this dosage.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Well I'm not a pharmacist. It might be a good idea to call the pharmacist and ask them. But as far as I know most capsules are designed to dissolve quickly in the stomach so I doubt it would make any difference to swallow it without the capsule. But if you want to be certain, you could open it, pour out half, then close it back up and swallow it. If they just prescribed it and he is just starting it and you have questions whether the dose is correct, you can call the doctor and ask to speak to the nurse, or ask the pharmacist. It seems to me that with this class of anti-depressant they do build up, so it's possible they wrote the prescription wrong or filled it wrong, so I do encourage you to confirm that this is what the doctor intended him to take.

Also if it "feels" too strong, sometimes people have bad reactions to certain anti-depressants (which are indeed prescribed for fibromyalgia) and it might not be a good one for him. Sometimes it takes a few days to adjust to it. But I have known people who felt so awful just starting an AD that they refused to take any more of it and the doctor had to find another way to treat them.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-13-2015 at 02:37 PM.