Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dreamingfree
Pregnant and pain killers
    Emtnoella is offline New Member

Default Pregnant and pain killers

Hello, I'm 22 weeks pregnant and take Norco 6 times a day plus 2 Flexeral. I've been on pain pills for awhile. I was chronically ill for a long time and had surgery in May. I'm wondering if it's safe to wean off the medication now so baby will not have withdraw symptoms? Is it ok to wean without using other meds? Can I use herbal items to help withdrawal? I'll be asking my OB but would love to hear your opinion! Thanks

Emtnoella is offline New Member

Also FYI , I was told 17 years ago I couldn't have children so this was by far a surprise. If I knew I could get pregnant I would of been on birth control.

dreamingfree is offline Member

I too am pregnant and taking pain medication. My high risk pregnancy OB told me that experiencing WD is a huge no no while pregnant, it could have a huge amount of stress on baby resulting severe problems. Before I got into the high risk Dr my family Dr worked with me on a very slow taper and I ended up spending two weeks in hospital and left hospital on more meds then I was on before I began the taper. Different Dr's have different views but I would not change or add and natural products before first talking to your Dr. I have a thread on the need to talk section here called pregnant and taking oxyneo if you are interested in what my journey looked like.

Its a stressful situation to be in and I hope form the best for you and baby...congrats.
    nursestudent13 likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hey, dreaming! Good to see you posting here. Emt, you should absolutely read dreaming's thread. I will say that drug use needs to be discussed with your doctor before you start coming off. Dreaming's situation was a bit different in that she has several medical problems that require medications, and pretty heavy duty ones at that, she did try very bravely to come off those meds, but it wasn't possible. What you are on, norco only, is a bit different in that it's not as strong, but it's still an opiate and it will still cause w/d symptoms. Your doctor may have you ween down on the norco, that may be very possible, but you should get an OB's direction before you do. I know this isn't something that you intended to happen. I wish you the best possible outcome and please go to "need to talk" and read dreaming's thread. She will be great support!

Peace,

Iloerose

If your doc knows about the meds then talk to your ob about your concerns. Definitely do not try to taper w/o doc supervision. It is extremely dangerous to the fetus, just like dreaming said. I went thru a similar situation. Your ob can help you come up with a plan for the baby after birth. Herbal remedies are not recommended during pregnancy. Does your ob know you are taking them?

winner71 is offline New Member

Yes, don't do anything without close medical supervision, make sure everyone knows the situation. They will have seen this many times before and will know what to do for the best.