Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NurseDanaRN
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Pregnant on Subutex
    NurseDanaRN is offline New Member

Default Pregnant on Subutex

Hi guys! I’m new to this site. After hours of googling, “subutex and pregnancy,” I found this site. I decided to join, with the hopes of connecting to other parents with similar stories. I have been on suboxone for years. I was taking 12-16mg/day, until... I found out I was pregnant with my second child. I immediately went to a high risk OB, spilled the beans to him, changed over to subutex, and by 5 weeks I cut my dose to 8mg/daily. I was so happy to have been honest with my Dr. He told me to NOT worry, and to just keep taking what I take. The problem is... I DO worry. I have severe anxiety regarding my subutex use during pregnancy. I admittedly stuggle at 8mg, and some days I take 12mg. This is also making me anxious. It’s extremely mental for me, and feel like some days the 8mg isn’t enough. I run out of energy and motivation. Which is difficult, because I also have a 5 year old, beautiful, smart and spunky, daughter to entertain at home! I am currently 13 weeks now, but it’s time to start weening down. I’m sorry, I’m just totally babbling now.. but my point is this: These are my main concerns #1 anxiety: I cannot stop worrying that using subutex during pregnancy will injure my child. I’m afraid of birth defects, learning disabilities, and the obvious effects of withdrawal on the baby #2 Weening: will I be able to effectively and successfully ween myself down by time my baby comes?! How slow do you taper? My Dr wants me to go from 8mg/daily to 7mg/Daily, starting this week. I’m just so worried about this taper, although I had little to no withdrawals when I initially went from 16mg to 8mg. The goal is to be at 1mg/day @ delivery. Anyway, I need support, prayers, and reassurance. I’m just dealing with an emmence amount of shame. How can I be so weak, especially while I’m pregnant!?! It’s jusy devastating to think that I may be unintentionally hurting my baby. Advice? Thank you in advance!!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by NurseDanaRN View Post
    Hi guys! I’m new to this site. After hours of googling, “subutex and pregnancy,” I found this site. I decided to join, with the hopes of connecting to other parents with similar stories. I have been on suboxone for years. I was taking 12-16mg/day, until... I found out I was pregnant with my second child. I immediately went to a high risk OB, spilled the beans to him, changed over to subutex, and by 5 weeks I cut my dose to 8mg/daily. I was so happy to have been honest with my Dr. He told me to NOT worry, and to just keep taking what I take. The problem is... I DO worry. I have severe anxiety regarding my subutex use during pregnancy. I admittedly stuggle at 8mg, and some days I take 12mg. This is also making me anxious. It’s extremely mental for me, and feel like some days the 8mg isn’t enough. I run out of energy and motivation. Which is difficult, because I also have a 5 year old, beautiful, smart and spunky, daughter to entertain at home! I am currently 13 weeks now, but it’s time to start weening down. I’m sorry, I’m just totally babbling now.. but my point is this: These are my main concerns #1 anxiety: I cannot stop worrying that using subutex during pregnancy will injure my child. I’m afraid of birth defects, learning disabilities, and the obvious effects of withdrawal on the baby #2 Weening: will I be able to effectively and successfully ween myself down by time my baby comes?! How slow do you taper? My Dr wants me to go from 8mg/daily to 7mg/Daily, starting this week. I’m just so worried about this taper, although I had little to no withdrawals when I initially went from 16mg to 8mg. The goal is to be at 1mg/day @ delivery. Anyway, I need support, prayers, and reassurance. I’m just dealing with an emmence amount of shame. How can I be so weak, especially while I’m pregnant!?! It’s jusy devastating to think that I may be unintentionally hurting my baby. Advice? Thank you in advance!!
    Welcome!

You found the right place to get some help. It's crazy the high doses that these sub doctors put their patients on. Trust me when I say that there is no way that you need 8mg/day. I believe you when you say that you're struggling, but I promise that it's all mental at this point. So long as you're stable, and it sounds like you are, you can begin your reductions as per the plan used here for years very successfully. The protocol calls for a reduction of 25% every four days or so. With your current dose of 8mg/ you can immediately reduce to 6. The first couple of days you may feel a bit off but it won't be bad. After four to seven days, you'll become stable and it will be time to reduce again. You have plenty of time and if you want to make smaller reductions, some people do. It's also less important how long you stay at each dose so long as you don't linger in one place for too long. If you want to stay at a dose for a week, then do it. You just might find that you'll be ready for a reduction on Day 5 or you may feel you need to stay put for a few days longer.

You can do this and be clean before your baby arrives. You couldn't possibly have a better motivation. Please find Robert's Sub Taper Plan and read it carefully. You can obviously skip the induction process because you've been taking them for some time. Post here as much as you can with updates and questions. The most important parts of the plan are to never reduce by more than 25% and to never reduce until you are stable (no symptoms). The other issue I noted from your post is that you aren't always consistent with your doses. It's very important not to bounce around. Once you are at a particular dose, take that same dose unless it's time to reduce. Don't EVER take more than what your daily dose is at any one point. Once you get way down, like under 1mg/day, you can take a "rescue dose" if you re having a difficult time but this should only happen two or three times throughout your taper. You can split your dose in half and dose once in the morning and take the other half 8-10 hours later. You have so much sub in your system because of the high dose you've been taking. The half life is very long so it has a stacking effect. It'll take quite some time for that to begin to leave your system and so your first reductions really should go very smoothly for you. Don't let your head get in the way.

Hope to see you post soon and please do ask any questions you have. There are some incredible folks that will be delighted to help you to the end of this journey. Don't stress about this. Read lots of threads here and you will get a very good idea of what to expect. Get excited! You have a new baby on the way and he/she wants a squeaky clean Mama!!

Peace,

Cat

Forceout is offline Member

Hello Nurse and Welcome to the forum!!

This is a wonderful place to get information, encouragement and ease your mind from all the fear and anxiety. The people here saved me at a time when I was anxious and concerned about a lot of things. I'm 34 days clean now and let me tell you.....it is amazing. I am excited for you. You should get excited too!!! It's the best thing you can do for yourself

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey Dana welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got some great advice from cat and force. Definitely follow that taper plan, it has produced thousands of success stories from getting off subs. I was on suboxone myself for 5 years at 16mg/day. Tapered down to 1mg/day and jumped. Let me tell you 1mg is still a hefty dose of subs. I would definately recommend taking it down to .25 mg or lower as others have done. It will make for such a softer landing for yourself.

Congratulations on the baby!!!!! That's awesome!!! Get excited, this is very doable and you will be just fine!!! I can tell you that clean is soooooo much better than I could have ever hoped for. Keep posting and let us know how it's going for you. Keep doing the next right thing!

Beef

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NurseDanaRN View Post

Welcome, Dana!

Catrina gave you excellent advice (she always does) on the Suboxone/Subutex plan used on the forum. Here's the link to that plan.....
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone-...apy-66109.html

If you follow this taper plan closely you'll not only be completely off the subs well before the baby arrives, but you'll do so and have the absolute least amount of wd's possible. I wanted to speak about your doctor and just how much trust you should place in him as far as the subs are concerned.

One is never wise going against their doctors wishes and advice, but when it comes to Suboxone and Subutex (generic buprenorphine) there may be 1 doctor in a 1,000 that actually knows what they're doing. Maybe. Hard to believe maybe, but I promise you it's a fact. Doctors only have to take a very short 8 hour course that I could pass with flying colors and they are all set to begin prescribing subs. That's it, nothing more. They are then given a special DEA number and hand out the subs like they are candy. Big Pharma comes in a instructs these doctors to prescribe huge amounts of subs and try to keep their patients on it for years, including he rest of the patients life in many cases. If you read the many threads and posts on this forum you'll see what I'm telling you is 100% accurate.

Suboxone/Subutex works differently that any other opiate, in that less is more with subs, meaning the least amount you take the better you'll feel, not the highest amount like full agonist opiates. You have to get your thoughts away from the "more is better" attitude when taking subs. It's purely a mental game just as Cat said it is. Sadly, most of these sub doctors have a ridiculous understanding of how subs are really intended to work.

Again, as Cat suggested, and the best thing you can do for yourself is to immediately lower your dose to 6mg per day. You will not even feel the difference, and if you think you do it's just your head messing with you I promise. There isn't a person on earth that requires 16mg of sub daily. Absolutely no one, not even the most hard core addicts.

The care and concern of the unborn child is of the utmost importance here, and you too of course. If you feel wd's so will the baby. It's important that you follow the taper plan and reduce by no more than 25% every 4-7 days. After you drop to a lower dose you may feel some sytmptoms the first couple days as your body adjusts the the new dose. But it will adjust and you'll begin feeling better. After you have at least 4 symptoms free days it's ok to reduce again and so on until you're down to at least .25mg (1/4 of 1mg) per day. It's very important to take the same doses of sub at the same times everyday. This will help you feel your best.

Please continue posting letting usk now how youre doing.

Randy
    Catrina likes this.