question about Ativan Withdrawal ?
    benjamin9 is offline New Member

Default question about Ativan Withdrawal ?

I have been taking 0.25mg of Ativan four times a day for about 6 weeks. I haven't taken any for 4 days now and feel really anxious and have insomnia. I also take Vicodin 5/500 1/2 tab 2 or 3 times a day also for anxiety. I'm still taking that in hopes that it will help with Ativan withdrawal. I'm really don't want to take Ativan anymore even though it works, because of all the bad things I've read about it. My question: how long will I feel like ????? I'd really just appreciate having someone to talk to. Thanks

SpeedJive is offline New Member

1 mg of Ativan per day would be considered a low dose... and 6 weeks is a very short period. People take 3-4 times as much for decades. So you are in GREAT shape.

When tapering or withdrawal it's important to do things that get your endorphins pumping. I'm tapering codeine right now and do 2 things that currb drug craving (a) sit on the beach with the sun and the wind and (b) go on 30-60 minute walks.
    Like when you can't sleep go for a walk. Plan stuff that works for you.

blondie44 is offline New Member

Hi. Going off Ativan can be done. I was on 1mg and it took me 8 mths to taper without withdrawal using a micro dose reduction method with an oral suspension. If your doctor does not know about this method, show this to them and ask for their help. The compounding pharmacy will surely know about it and can help you with the dosing schedule as it could get complicated as you go to very small doses. You start with 1mg per 1ml formulation, which means there is 1mg of drug in 1 ml of liquid. So if you fill a 1ml syringe up to the 1ml mark, you will be ingesting 1mg of drug.

Week 1 decrease to 0.98ml, week 2 decrease to 0.96, week 3 decrease to 0.94, etc etc. put this in a spreadsheet with the date you decrease dosage and the dosage you need to take that week. If you get any withdrawal, stay at that dose for another week. Once you get to the lower doses, you will need to go to a weaker formulation. I went to a 0.5mg per 1ml. And then I did a 0.25mg per 1ml at the end of the taper to be able to get smaller doses into the syringe.

Got someone good at math to help you with the taper schedule. Being to your doctor to write the prescription to the compounding pharmacy. You have to keep it refrigerated.

You can do it. Slow and steady. Tell your friend and loved ones what you are doing for auppprt. Celebrate each month!!

SpeedJive is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by blondie44 View Post
    Hi. Going off Ativan can be done. I was on 1mg and it took me 8 mths to taper without withdrawal using a micro dose reduction method with an oral suspension. If your doctor does not know about this method, show this to them and ask for their help. The compounding pharmacy will surely know about it and can help you with the dosing schedule as it could get complicated as you go to very small doses. You start with 1mg per 1ml formulation, which means there is 1mg of drug in 1 ml of liquid. So if you fill a 1ml syringe up to the 1ml mark, you will be ingesting 1mg of drug.

Week 1 decrease to 0.98ml, week 2 decrease to 0.96, week 3 decrease to 0.94, etc etc. put this in a spreadsheet with the date you decrease dosage and the dosage you need to take that week. If you get any withdrawal, stay at that dose for another week. Once you get to the lower doses, you will need to go to a weaker formulation. I went to a 0.5mg per 1ml. And then I did a 0.25mg per 1ml at the end of the taper to be able to get smaller doses into the syringe.

Got someone good at math to help you with the taper schedule. Being to your doctor to write the prescription to the compounding pharmacy. You have to keep it refrigerated.

You can do it. Slow and steady. Tell your friend and loved ones what you are doing for auppprt. Celebrate each month!!
    This is a very useful post.

I just tapered from 250 mg of codeine/day for 20 years. I tapered over 5 months using a spreadsheet. I stayed the last 2 months at about 25% or 70 mg/day. When I jumped basically nothing happened... just one day of diarhea and some night sweats. I expected much worse based on internet experiences. So tapering works if you do it right.

The fact that you've successsfully tapered from 1 mg of Ativan using a similar approach is amazing. It gives me hope because I'm on about 3 mg/day and will eventually have to taper for one reason or another. Getting down to 1 mg is easy... it's the last part that is hard.

Anyway, everyone out there keep this in mind... your mileage will vary. Some people taper fairly easily... others do worse. Doctors ALWAYS taper too fast because they only care about their license and don't trust their patients. Always keep control over your taper if you can.