Question about coping with an emergency break in Buprenorphine
    mojo0070 is offline New Member

Question Question about coping with an emergency break in Buprenorphine

Hi all, new to the forum

Basically i am currently prescribed Buprenorphine for pain relief but when i went to pick them up this morning from the pharmacy, they had messed up and because its Saturday, and because its a controlled medication (UK), they could not help me. I am currently trying out of hours options and other things but in the meantime i'm worrying about going the whole weekend cold turkey.

My question is, can i use small doses of liquid morphine in place of the Buprenorphine until i get this sorted? We have some in the house that is my partners and i have taken it in an emergency in the past for chronic pain, but i don't know if it shares enough properties with Buprenorphine to help with the withdrawal.

Thanks for any advice

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Welcome mojo. How much bupe do you take a day and for how long have you been taking it?

Secondly the liquid morphine may not give you much relief until you're in w/d from the bupe. The morphine isn't strong enough to knock the bupe off of your receptors so you'd just be wasting it. So I'd be very careful if you go down that road. The half life of bupe ranges from 24-72 hours so it stays in your body for a very very long time.

Lastly if you take the morphine you'll have to re induct on the bupe. That means you'll have to go into w/d and wait until you're good and sick before you take any bupe. You'll need to score a 26 on the COWS worksheet. You can Google it. If you take any before that you run the risk of going into precipitated withdrawals. And trust me you don't want that. Once you're there there is nothing you can do or take to help it. You just have to wait it out.

I am not a doctor by any means and I'm sure someone will stop by to correct me if I'm wrong. But this is what I've read and learned since I've been hanging around here.

Sorry for your situation and I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide going forward.

Beef

Thanks for the reply.

I take 4 200 mcg tabs per day and have been for 3 years, maybe a little more. Ill miss my first dose in about 3 hours, then 2 more tomorrow and 1 more on Monday before i can get to pharmacy. I was thinking maybe a small dose of liquid morphine to replace a dose of Buprenorphine each time but im not knowledgeable when it comes to half lifes or re induction.

If i dont take the morphine, and i just miss the doses, will i be fine to just begin taking them as normal from Monday because its only a small gap or not?

Thanks again

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

If you make it through today and tomorrow you'll be fine just to take the bupe as normal. You won't have to re induct. You will probably be fine for today and start feeling some mild w/d tomorrow. If it was me I'd try my best to make it to Monday. That way you won't have to deal with the possibility of p/w. I've never been through them but I've seen several friends go through them and trust me you don't want that h.ell.

Keep us updated. Weekends can be a bit slow around here. But I'm sure others will be by later.

Have a great day!!
    Beef

Thanks a lot for the information. I've been reading peoples stories on this site all day and its a real eye-opener as to how bad these pills can be. I've been talking to my partner for ages now about the fact that i don't believe the pills actually help my pain any more, and im now seriously tempted to just not go back on them.

I know that going cold turkey from any addictive drug isnt the smartest way to go, but for a relatively low dose that i am on, and considering im already missing a few doses due to this problem, maybe its best that i dont bother going back?

Just for context, i suffer from Fibromyalgia quite severely, anxiety, depression and arthritis
    I hate the feeling of being addicted to anything, i grew up with an alcoholic mother and a heroic addict father, and it was hell, and now im addicted to several different types of pills even though i dont abuse them. I kind of feel like coming off all my pain meds and starting over so to speak. Actually seeing which pills are working for my pain.

I am currently prescribed Pregablin, Buprenorphine, Tramadol, co-codamol, amitriptyline, Fluoxitine and im pretty sure they are all addictive. Ive been on them for more than 3 years and every doctor i go to just tells me to keep taking them.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text and thanks for any more info