Default Quick taper off oxycodone

Hello
    First time posting
    I am a chronic pain patient and have been on narcotics for years
    I have detoxed twice in the past but honestly don't remember much
    My concern is that my chronic pain will lead me to failing with this detox
    I was taking 8 7.5 Percocet a day
    Today I started a taper to 4 tabs per day for three days
    Next three days I will take 2 tabs per days for three days and then start detox
    Any support/ advise is appreciated
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-09-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Anonymous Guest

Flower there's a lot of people who can help you more than I can on here. I recently quit oxycodone (tonight will make 6 full days clean) I was taking 30mg for 3 years. I tapered too 15mg for 2 days then down to 10 mg for 2 days. MY experience has been much better than I thought it would be with the exception of having trouble sleeping and restless legs. I can say it's gotten better each day after the 3rd day. It feels great to get through my days with a clear mind. I used the Thomas method and I believe it helped. Drank tons of water and HOT baths as often and as long as I could.

Hope this helps

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flower child 2015 View Post
    Hello
    First time posting
    I am a chronic pain patient and have been on narcotics for years
    I have detoxed twice in the past but honestly don't remember much
    My concern is that my chronic pain will lead me to failing with this detox
    I was taking 8 7.5 Percocet a day
    Today I started a taper to 4 tabs per day for three days
    Next three days I will take 2 tabs per days for three days and then start detox
    Any support/ advise is appreciated
    Hello Flower, I was using 60-100mg of oxycodone a day for a couple months. I tapered for 17 days per doctor recommendation. I went 5 days at 10mg/day then 5mg/day for the next 5 days. The last 7 days I was down to 2.5mg/day. It was still a rough go for me during the taper process. I had depression, anxiety and feelings of despair the whole time. If I had to do it again I would of tapered much slower, probably still 5 days per drop in dosage but I would only drop maybe 25% in dosage per 5 days, slower the better in my opinion! Everyone is different but I would probably expect you will still have some withdrawals with that short of a taper? Many can quit cold turkey and usually are through the worst of withdrawals within 4-5 days. I think the longer and slower the taper would avoid some or most of the common withdrawal symptoms? Best of luck to you! God bless us all!

Flower child 2015 is offline Junior Member

Yes I have chosen to do this quickly as when I taper slow I never seem to get through
    The pain flares and I just re-up my dose
    I am in contact w my dr. If it gets too bad I will talk to her about another taper
    She supports whatever way I want to do this
    Just so sick of pain and sometimes even more sick of the narcotics
    Thanks so much for the support
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-10-2015 at 12:30 AM.

jeffro6527 is offline Member

Hi flower,

how long have you been on opiates now?

You said you have detoxed twice in the past. How long did you stay off those times?

I am only asking because it helps give better advise as to taper and strategizing how to get off and stay off.

Hope you are doing well today.

Your pal,
    Jeffro

I have been on some form of opiate for over 20 yrs
    My two times without opiates were probably each less than 2-3 months

I am on the 2/ day starting today and I am hurting pain wise and beginning to feel the wd that wasn't as obvious w 4 oxycodone day
    I have the Thomas recipe going although I'm unsure if the vitamin and mineral amts are enough

Hell all
    I am on day 2 of taper to 2 oxycodones a day ( 6 days ago I was taking 8 pills on a very long and regular basis
    I am waking up every 3 hours so sleep is not great
    Leg pain and lower back pain are really kicking in
    Taking supplements and eating very little I am lucky that I have a prescription for soma, Xanax , and neurontin and think that these meds are helping this be less painful
    My mind is trying to rationalize that it is necessary for me to continue using opiates because I have chronic pain so I am struggling with those thoughts,
    I appreciate any advice and support as this experience is getting more intense to say the least
    Thank all,
    Flower

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Flower and Welcome,

You tapered down pretty quickly and that is most definitely your choice. The thoughts you are having now about the wisdom of discontinuing your pain pills is very typical, trust me. We begin to wonder if this is a smart idea and if we're going to feel this miserable forever, then why bother when "I'm apt to be right back here because I can't deal with my pain issues". The truth is, until we are opiate free for a period of time it is impossible to assess our real level of pain. I know it scared the bejesus out of me but I had come to the place that I had to try! I had detoxed many times but members on this Forum assured me that the only way to find out just how bad my pain was, was to get clean and stay that way for a time. I trusted them and did just that and turns out they were right. I still have some physical issues but I manage them with over the counter stuff.

I don't think you mentioned what is going on with you that you need pain management. This is a no judgement zone! I'm just asking because like it or not, there are people who just need them and maybe forever. In most cases (like me!) I should have only used them short term. They lose the efficacy anyway but I didn't know that until after I got some clean time under my belt. Do you mind sharing a bit more about why you needed opiates in the first place and what's going on now with that diagnosis? Maybe we can help more.

Peace,

Cat

Yes I can share more
    I've had chronic pelvic pain due to endometriosis in the past and first starting opiates then
    3 yrs ago I had a cervical disc herniate and surgery for that which has led to chronic back neck pain and spasms anytime I have my head unsupported for more than several hours
    I have been diagnosed with central nervous system sensitization mist likely caused by damage to the cns by surgery
    My pain is significant but I have been through classes and educated regarding opiates actually contributing to this type of pain
    I did have some time ( maybe a few months or more ) off opiates but then went back on after neck surgery
    I have a terrible issue now w swallowing and reflux actually aspirating at times
    I want to get off these opiates because
    1) they are not controlling the pain
    2) they are contributing to my esophagus reflux issue
    3) my moods are getting worse and worse
    4) I want to improve the quality of my life and relatiinships w my family
    5) I don't know what the world is really like without opiates ( lots if regrets over wasted years )
    6) I really think these medications might kill me
    I'm getting sicker today - throwing up and increased pain - very shaky
    If I try to taper slowly it has not worked - I'm just too obsessive
    That's me today in a lengthy nutshell
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

Have you spoken with your doctor about having some help with your taper if you feel this is the only way you can do this? I have some serious back issues myself not unlike yours to some degree. I can't even begin to imagine the other issues you have nor do I understand some of them.

It is true that although opiates will provide pain relief, it just only be used short time and another means of pain control should be considered that are more effective long term. Detox can be tough. I know. Some of the symptoms you describe sound like they might be related to your reduction. It has to be slow to prevent the more intense symptoms. The other option is cold turkey. If your doctor is aware of your desire and agrees that you should stop, he/she can give some a few things to help sedate you to minimize the discomfort. A full, cold turkey detox takes about 5 days (give or take a day). That's also one of the downfalls of tapering. While tapering, particularly quickly, you will have symptoms of some sort almost during the entire time you are tapering. Cold turkey, while symptoms can be more intense, is over within days.

My advice is to make a plan and stick to it. My way may not be your way. Toward the end of my using, I got acid reflux and difficulty swallowing. Both are awful AND scary! Two of the things we just live with in exchange for pills that we are probably better off being without.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Gg09 is offline New Member

Flower I'm starting my 1st day today and I haven't been a day without since the day of my Injury 3yrs ago u have been ready g everyone's post and I just wanted to encourage you to do it and try and just make ur mind up and get thru it I know it's tough I was gonna start yesterday and then woke up at 1 this morning with my legs killin me and I slipped and took a few so when I woke up again at 7 and was hurting again I flushed all of them that way I have no choice but to get off of them but u can do this ur a strong person to do the tapper good luck

Cat
    Thank you so much for your ideas and support
    I am under the care of my dr and she is ok w quick taper
    I have support meds - like Xanax
    I do need to just stick to this
    It will be rough but not as dangerous as taking the meds I have been taking
    Thank you - you have helped me today
    I probably will continue to reach out - I can't express how valuable it is
    Peace
    Flower

Thank you Gg
    I thinking flushing and cold turkey actually is a good way to go and very strong of you !
    I am down to 2 for one more day
    Then I will step off
    Anxious to get through it !!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2015 at 01:42 PM.

I'm just ready to not have withdrawls

Just think in a week it will all be worth it and when u can start counting the days after u take the last one will give u somethin to look forward too

Hello all
    Last dose of oxycodone will be tonight after a quick taper off 60-70 mg per day that I have been on for several years
    Many many years of Vicodin for chronic pain before this
    Main issue is that I am getting very little sleep
    I know the more sick physical withdrawal will start after the last dose tonight
    I'm happy with the support I have received here on the forum
    And I will be glad to offer any support I can to others
    Here's to an opiate free life and hopefully chronic pain issues will improve with time
    Flower
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-14-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Off you go Flower! Congratulations. If and when you find the going getting tough, hop on here and post. Yell, rant, whine. We're used to it. I find it so inspiring when I see people take the leap and see it through to the end. I am in your corner and rooting for you the entire way. I really am! Inspire me Flower.

Peace,

Cat

I took my last oxycodone at 4 due to severe pain . Slept about 29 minutes
    Pain is winding up even more intense
    I expect more severe withdrawal symptoms to hit soon
    Husband is being supportive
    I don't think I expected the wind up pain to be as severe
    Hanging on....

As expected here I am 12 hours after my last pill awake and feeling worse and downright strange
    The chronic windup pain has been very very difficult . I am using all the tools I can think of
    My pulse is bounding in my ears and the anxiety is approaching
    I feel kinda disconnected . I probably need to up the water
    I will be so glad to have this demon drug completely out of my system and no longer controlling me
    Advice and support ?
    You all have been great - especially Cat and Gg
    Hope everyone is getting rest !
    Flower

Anonymous Guest

being sick for a few days is well worth the feeling of being clean. Each hour you go through is one closer to feeling better and it is SO worth it. I know how tough it is I'm on day 13 myself. Try to find anything you can to take your mind off of it. You can do this!

Thank you
    One night down without opiates !!

How is day 13 ?

Today is better except for severe chronic pain flare
    So far the meds and supplements are helpful
    Sleep disturbed of course
    Keep dreading the RLS which hasn't come yet ! I am on neurontin and Xanax so maybe w that and supplements it won't be so bad .??

Default Spelling

Hi all
    My dr has ordered sonata for me since I am getting very little sleep while detoxing from oxycodone even with using Xanax
    Any thoughts on this ?
    I'm getting a little concerned that I will get addicted to another prescription med , it is apparently in my nature.
    I am also on fiorinal for migraines and soma for neck spasms.
    Nortriptykine and neurontin for chronic windup pain ( cns sensitization after cervical disc rupture and surgery )
    I'm not sure what to do ???
    Peace and hope
    Flower
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-15-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Anonymous Guest

Not sure what sonata is so I can't help you on that. What I can too you is I was lucky to get four hours of sleep for the first ten days.. It's just part of the process. I've been getting about 6-7 hours since the tenth day. I had constant headache untill today. It's the first day I haven't had to take Advil. It will get better flower!
    Flower child 2015 likes this.

Sonata is a sleeping pill
    It is working
    I will talk to my dr when I see her next Monday to let her know I don't want to be on more meds after wd is over

Welcome Jenny,

I see that you've posted a couple of times on others' threads. Create your own so that you are easier to follow and so that we can post directly to you and it will be easier for you to find those.

12 days is pretty wonderful and she ought to be out of the woods. The lingering symptoms are often trouble sleeping, cravings and anxiety that is closely associated with those cravings. This is called a habit for a reason and the anxiety is fueled by changing that habit and not quite knowing what to do with ourselves. Best medicine for all of this is to get up, get going and be as active as possible. Depending upon how much she was taking and for how long, it won't be long before all this will subside. It's gradual but not terminal . Does she have a plan for recovery? We all need a plan. One that we can stick to. Staying busy and creating new, good habits is the best start but ask her to think about support and that doesn't mean you alone. We all need someone or others who know exactly what's she's feeling and share how we deal with it. Meetings, therapy, something.

I'll watch for your thread. I don't know if she knows you joined this Forum or if she's read any threads here but I think it's a great idea if she'd spend some time just reading here. Lots of inspiration!

Peace,

Cat