Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zookie
Quit Buprenorphine cold turkey. Help
    zookie is offline Junior Member

Default Quit Buprenorphine cold turkey. Help

I had been on oxy for several years then did the rapid detox. Doctor put me on buprenex afterwards and have been on for 10 yrs. at first I took 4 ful shots a day but cut back to two and a half. Which as I read is about .75 mgs. I stopped taking the bile because I started with withdrawal symptoms while taking it. Each time I would get sick slowly feeling better as shot wore off. So I quit and went through two of the worst days of my life. I literally stared at clock for two days so on second night I caved and went back on shots. I felt better but not much so in my mind I had to quit so I did. So this is day 7 straight without bupr and 9 of 10 off. It has been brutal but doable at home but the problem is I start work in a couple days ( I am a upper level math teacher) and teaching next week. Symptoms now diarrhea but did seem better earlier. No sleep. Weak. Tired head in a vice no motivation and burning in arms and feet temp changes. The worst is the sleep as I am able to get to sleep but after about an hour or so my heart starts beating fast and hard and then the burning arms thing happens so I can't get back to sleep. Last two nights I took lorazepam which worked well first night not a swell last night. Took .5. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Zookie,

These addiction doctors drive me insane! I also did the Rapid Detox around 10 years ago. After the detox, they gave me a Naltrexone pellet in my groin that blocked the effects of all opiates. There were different sized pellets I could have chosen (duration) 90 day, 6 months or 1 year. I took the 90 day because the price was so significant but in the end because I really thought it was the detox that was keeping me trapped and if I could get past that,I'd be fine. Well it didn't work that way. I think I lasted about 6 months and my addict brain told me I'd be fine to just take a few pills now and then. That ended in some additional years of h*ll until I cold turkeyed for the last time over 6 1/2 years ago.

My adult son is an active H addict. He also did the Rapid Detox (almost died from it and spent a week in a medically induced coma in ICU--another story). He has had the Naltrexone pellets twice since then after detoxing cold turkey at home. Each time he has relapsed. The most recent time, about a year and 1/2 ago, I helped him detox at home again so that he could get another pellet. After detoxing, we went to the doctor to get the implant but when we got there, the doctor gave him 3 days of bup injectable because he said my son's anxiety was too high. What did we know, right? It took him two full weeks to detox from the bup.

What daily dose where you taking when you stopped a week ago? I'm not sure I understand if you told us in your post but if I'm understanding, you reduced by .75? Anyway, tell us what your daily dose was. In this past year I have seen a few folks just jump from insane doses of sub and it wasn't fun but they did it. One poor guy was taking 32mg/day. It took him about a month to be functional "enough". Having a week down, if I were you, I'd tough it out. The symptoms you describe are classic and they are probably going to be bothersome for another week or two, sometimes worse than others. Drink plenty of water, use Immodium for the bathroom issues. Find the Thomas Recipe on this Forum. It's a list of things that will help with some of the symptoms. Everything is relatively inexpensive and sure worth the try.

Keep reading and posting. It helps more than you can imagine.

Peace,

Cat

Forgot to mention I took it intramuscular. I also have Valium and lorazepam have never taken Valium and 15 msgs MS Contin as well as some liquid morphine about 20 msgs total

Thanks for reply I was just looking that up as I am a creature of habit. Each vial is .3mg/ml of buprenorphine so I took .7 of a shot in morning. Then .5 at lunch. .3 in afternoon then a whole one at night for a total of .75 msgs per day.

Also have this nasty smell can't get rid of. Wash sheets everyday

Need a little help here. I'm starting work and need to know whether I should tough it out if so for how long or give up and try again later

Well this is end of day 8 or 10 out of 11. I was able to go toward but was very tired and weak. Still have diarrhea real bad and has not let up. But I did eat more today a plus and had an few moments were I was encouraged to keep going. But then of course few minutes later hit w anxiety so bad it would drive anyone crazy and it comes on night of official first day of work and can't take abenzo for sleep since I took one three days in a row. Had to take night off but my calm support came in so I will give it try. Overall I feel horrible still have light sweats mainly in feet. Hot cold changes and burning of arms feet. That is where I am at after 8 days

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I know it's hard Zookie but I'd hang in there and try to ride out the storm. You've done awesome with around 10 days under your belt. You will have to face this at some point one way or the other if you really want to be clean. Do you have sub left? I am unfortunately not familiar with the injections of bup >> subs that have both bup and naltrexone and I can't remember how much bup is a part of an 8mg pill or film of subs. Maybe someone will chime in here to help.

If you truly find this impossible and you have more bup or can get more, you can begin again at a tiny dose just to make things manageable and taper off going down to a teeny tiny daily dose before you jump off.

Things will get better. We just have to be patient and it's hard when we're just not feeling well but it truly is the quickest way to get to the other side and you have around 10 days in! I'd have a hard time giving those days up but this is your journey, your choice.

Peace,

Cat

Thanks yes I know what you mean every time I think of giving up I think of the days I would be wasting. Today is 9 days clean and for the most part was a better day off act it was Gil about 7 tonight when the bone rushing anxiety came back I fell right asleep last night and woke up an hour later so as badly asi didn't want to take an Ativan I had to together some sleep for work. I will have to take a night off this weekend. Right now I see no light but did earlier more energy not much but more. Seems like the diarrhea is starting to let up finally just had another bm and it was partially solid. So 1 good thing.

Destinywizard is offline New Member

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-18-2016 at 05:43 PM.