Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Quitting Methadone at 5mg.
    DaddisQueen is offline New Member

Default Quitting Methadone at 5mg.

I have been on methadone for 5 years and am tired of depending on it. I have taken my last 5 milligrams today.
    I initially was on 80 and tapered off to zero and withdrawal was excruciating. I believe it was due to chronic pain i have fibromyalgia and degenerative arthritis as well as degenerative disk disease and spinal stenosis.
    Within 30 days i had to get back on only went to 20 mgs and have been tapering very slowly up til now now i want to just stop at 5mg.
    I have missed doses at 5mg and did not feel bad at all.
    Any advice or insight.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaddisQueen View Post
    I have been on methadone for 5 years and am tired of depending on it. I have taken my last 5 milligrams today.
    I initially was on 80 and tapered off to zero and withdrawal was excruciating. I believe it was due to chronic pain i have fibromyalgia and degenerative arthritis as well as degenerative disk disease and spinal stenosis.
    Within 30 days i had to get back on only went to 20 mgs and have been tapering very slowly up til now now i want to just stop at 5mg.
    I have missed doses at 5mg and did not feel bad at all.
    Any advice or insight.

Welcome to the forum!

Methadone has a real long half life. The half life is how long it takes half the drug to leave your system. Methadone's half life can be as long as 72 hours in some people. For that reason it's completely understandable that you feel ok for the first 2-3 days after completely stopping it. Then all of a sudden symptoms appear and you feel those horrible wd's that can last quite some time. So when you "miss" a dose of mdone the half life is keeping you out of wd's. Make sense?

If you're tapering methadone it's best to taper very slow and steady. We usually suggest reducing by 2-5mg's every week or so. The higher the dose of mdone the more aggressive you can be with the taper. Once down to around 20mgs or so it's best to slow down. If you jump from 5mg you are going to have wd symptoms after the first couple days off, just like you previously did. How severe were your symptoms after the 30 days you were off before that lead you to get back on the mdone?

Many such as myself switch to Suboxone from methadone. It's easier to taper the subs than it is the mdone. Suboxone isn;t for everyone as it's just another tool to fight addiction with. It needs to be used correctly and cannot be used on an as needed basis and expect to have success. Just thought I would mention this.

I'm not certain how to best advise you. You made it 30 days off the mdone but couldn't deal with the symptoms of wd. I guess seeing as you're at 5mg and jumping you should give it another go and treat any wd's with OTC meds and supplements. Here's the link to the Thomas Recipe that many say really helps....
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

Unless you're already taking a benzo under doctors orders I would leave that out of the recipe. Benzo's are highly addictive and a bear to detox from. Get lots of fluids and protein on you daily. Exercise will really help produce endorphins and you'll feel better. Don't sit in the house watching the clock, get outside and do anything to remain busy. And you should also consider some face to face meetings suhc as NA or AA. The help you'll receive there is priceless.

All the best to you. Post often and read some of the posts and threads here for inspiration. You can do this, just have to want it more than anything else in the world.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.