Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By alj15
  • 2 Post By Catrina
Relapse After 3 weeks
    alj15 is offline New Member

Default Relapse After 3 weeks

Hey guys, I'm wondering how severe the withdrawal will be on my situation.
    I had a 5 year 70mg Vic habit
    Made it 3 weeks CT
    Now I've been on them for 3 weeks, but 20mg at the most per day. Do I need to taper with this amount?
    The anxiety is what made me cave. I had some things done to me as a child, and the visions of that overpowered me. I took only a half and it made me sleep like a baby and block it out of my mind. BUTTTTT I'm feeling so guilty for relapsing that I want to get off and be done for good. I have to do this!!
    Any advice?!
    TIA!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by alj15 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm wondering how severe the withdrawal will be on my situation.
    I had a 5 year 70mg Vic habit
    Made it 3 weeks CT
    Now I've been on them for 3 weeks, but 20mg at the most per day. Do I need to taper with this amount?
    The anxiety is what made me cave. I had some things done to me as a child, and the visions of that overpowered me. I took only a half and it made me sleep like a baby and block it out of my mind. BUTTTTT I'm feeling so guilty for relapsing that I want to get off and be done for good. I have to do this!!
    Any advice?!
    TIA!
    Hello There!

The first few weeks after our detox is always a dangerous time. We are usually still experiencing lousy sleep patterns and all of the reasons we began to abuse our pain medication are still there so it's easy to reach for the pill bottle to get some relief and take a time out. It's never our intention to dive back in and put ourselves back to square one but it happens by simply swallowing that first pill. Of course it works and makes us feel better. Until it doesn't anymore and we realize what we've done. Then we spend some time dreading what we know has to be done and procrastinate facing another Day 1. Soon the what we thought would only be a brief relapse to just get our feet beneath us again and re-energize turns into weeks and then months and years.

OK. To answer your question. It's hard to say how you will feel when you stop taking those pills again but the one thing I do know for sure (and so do you) is that every day that passes without doing something, the worse it's going to get. That's a for sure. No I wouldn't taper. I'd get rid of what you have left, treat any physical symptoms that resurface and stay as busy as you can. I suspect you'll have some bathroom issues and cravings. That leads me to the most important suggestion of all.

If you are not in therapy, get there. You know why you got here in the first place and this cycle is going to continue until you are able to learn another way to deal with things. Meetings. I know, I know. No one likes that idea at first but the people there are the ones who will be able to give you the support you need to stay on the right path. We all tend to have to learn that lesson for ourselves and when we see that what we've been doing isn't working, then we have to find something else. Albert Einstein is credited with the quote, "Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results, is the definition of insanity". It's time to remember that quote. How true it is. Recovery is not about detox. It is putting all that energy we put into remaining in active addiction and instead putting it into finding the things to help us heal. Track down and try every single thing that is suggested to you until you find what works for you. That's what it's all about.

Please keep posting to let us know how you're doing and how we can help. That's what this Forum is all about.

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35 and ForMe30 like this.

alj15 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Hello There!

The first few weeks after our detox is always a dangerous time. We are usually still experiencing lousy sleep patterns and all of the reasons we began to abuse our pain medication are still there so it's easy to reach for the pill bottle to get some relief and take a time out. It's never our intention to dive back in and put ourselves back to square one but it happens by simply swallowing that first pill. Of course it works and makes us feel better. Until it doesn't anymore and we realize what we've done. Then we spend some time dreading what we know has to be done and procrastinate facing another Day 1. Soon the what we thought would only be a brief relapse to just get our feet beneath us again and re-energize turns into weeks and then months and years.

OK. To answer your question. It's hard to say how you will feel when you stop taking those pills again but the one thing I do know for sure (and so do you) is that every day that passes without doing something, the worse it's going to get. That's a for sure. No I wouldn't taper. I'd get rid of what you have left, treat any physical symptoms that resurface and stay as busy as you can. I suspect you'll have some bathroom issues and cravings. That leads me to the most important suggestion of all.

If you are not in therapy, get there. You know why you got here in the first place and this cycle is going to continue until you are able to learn another way to deal with things. Meetings. I know, I know. No one likes that idea at first but the people there are the ones who will be able to give you the support you need to stay on the right path. We all tend to have to learn that lesson for ourselves and when we see that what we've been doing isn't working, then we have to find something else. Albert Einstein is credited with the quote, "Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results, is the definition of insanity". It's time to remember that quote. How true it is. Recovery is not about detox. It is putting all that energy we put into remaining in active addiction and instead putting it into finding the things to help us heal. Track down and try every single thing that is suggested to you until you find what works for you. That's what it's all about.

Please keep posting to let us know how you're doing and how we can help. That's what this Forum is all about.

Peace,

Cat

Thank you so much for responding!! Means so much! I know I have the will power to get through, it's just having the energy to run after a wild toddler and keep my house in good standing. I don't have the luxury of a babysitter so I'm with her all day long. My dad keeps shoving the "get over it line" and it makes me want to punch him.
    Then I feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself. And how I don't have the energy to play with my daughter. Absolutely gets my nerves every time.
    I just want to know that it's not going to be like the withdrawal I experienced from 70 mg. I don't know if I can make it though sane.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Alj - for whatever reason, relapse does happen. For me it was a long, painful spiral. The harder I threw myself into not using, the harder I'd relapse. Overdose became pretty standard. Between my binges I promised myself I'd do better. I never did, not really.

Tapering would help limit your exposure to withdrawals for sure, but 20mg isn't huge either. It might take a week - just go easy on yourself - but whatever you experience, it should largely be over by then.

Good luck with it!