Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparksley
  • 1 Post By Elcey
Restless Legs and Insomnia
    Sparksley is offline New Member

Default Restless Legs and Insomnia

I've been on dihydrocodeine for about 18 months and also been topping up in between prescriptions with OTC medicines like Solpadeine Max and Nurofen Plus. However, I'm now off them and have been for almost 7 days. I had some withdrawal effects like headaches and frequent toilet trips but I was able to manage them fairly well with loperamide and normal paracetamol/ibuprofen. What is driving me to distraction is the insomnia and restless legs that I am getting in the evening and through the night. In the past week I've probably only slept about 2 hours each night (if that!). Luckily I'm not at work at the minute so have ended up being very lazy during the day. How much longer is this going to last and does anyone have any hints or tips about how to manage the insomnia and restless legs. I feel that if I relapse it'll be because of these issues. I am so exhausted and desperately want just a good night's sleep. Any ideas?
    Elcey likes this.

Gilsmom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparksley View Post
    I've been on dihydrocodeine for about 18 months and also been topping up in between prescriptions with OTC medicines like Solpadeine Max and Nurofen Plus. However, I'm now off them and have been for almost 7 days. I had some withdrawal effects like headaches and frequent toilet trips but I was able to manage them fairly well with loperamide and normal paracetamol/ibuprofen. What is driving me to distraction is the insomnia and restless legs that I am getting in the evening and through the night. In the past week I've probably only slept about 2 hours each night (if that!). Luckily I'm not at work at the minute so have ended up being very lazy during the day. How much longer is this going to last and does anyone have any hints or tips about how to manage the insomnia and restless legs. I feel that if I relapse it'll be because of these issues. I am so exhausted and desperately want just a good night's sleep. Any ideas?
    Hi Sparks,
    Ugh... I so feel you on the insomnia and rls!!! It's the worst for me too! I feel for people who have non opiate withdrawal rls I don't know how they deal! At least we know ours will go away eventually!! I've tried pretty much every tip I've read including cutting a bar of ivory soap in half and putting it under the sheet. It's there now! I have hylands Restful Legs which does help and its Otc. Heating pads wrapped around your legs. Hot baths w Epsom salts right before bed. Calms the mind too. Chamomile tea and melatonin for sleep! I don't know if you can get clonodine its prescription bp med and I have yo say that has been a big help with the anxiety and head helped with sleep.
    That's all I can think of at the moment. If I can think of more ill post them.
    Hope to see you back and stay strong!!! We can do this!!
    Mary

Elcey is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparksley View Post
    Boy Sparksley, like Mary I feel for you too! I was a monthly detox person for months and months as I waited for my refills to be available for my codeine and normally the RLS lasted around 5 days (nights), with occasional twitches other times. And when I did try to quit, it was always the rls and insomnia that drove me back. I have bad sleep issues at the best of times anyways. Please try with all your might not to do that, even tho I know how hard it is to go night after night. After so many detoxes and start-ups, I guess my body got used to all the otc/herbal stuff I used for it. This time it lasted much longer and only the last couple of nights have I felt relief from it. But don't go by me - remember this is my approx. 100th time trying to come off codeine! Almost a month now and plan on keeping it that way; closed all my doors so no more access and that certainly helps.

Like Mary said, all the otc and epsom baths really do help to some degree. I got comfort from reading the rls website if only to be grateful that I don't have that disease! Dreadful to have to live with. Ice and my heating pad helped lots and sometimes it was just a matter of getting up from bed and walking around the house just to have the feeling go away. Trust me that you're not alone in this.

I would think that at 7 days your legs should settle down any minute now and it happens immediately. I wish you luck and the fact you only had 18 months should help too! I'll be very interested in how you're making out as the days progress and major congratulations for getting clean - and coming on this forum and asking questions. Helped me tremendously. It was not an easy journey I had getting this far and everyone helped lots.

Phew, sorry for long post but since the rls/insomnia is and always has been such a big thing for me, couldn't help blowing off my steam. Hope it helped. Keep posting.
    Cheers for now, Elcey
    Gilsmom likes this.