Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pnt10
  • 2 Post By Catrina
Seeking help from Robert 325, or anyone with experience.
    Pnt10 is offline New Member

Default Seeking help from Robert 325, or anyone with experience.

I want to start by saying THANK YOU in advance to anyone who takes the time to help in any way!!

I'm just going to try to summarize here and answer any questions that will help clarify anything.

I am trying to stop a 10 year opiate addiction. I have been prescribed tramadol and oxycodone for the past 10 years by a dr. I have never abused them (taken more than prescribed), but I am 100% physically dependent on these EVIL pills. I take 250mg of tramadol per day and 20mg of oxycodone per day. I want off of them very badly. However, I have bad anxiety (including social anxiety) and mild depression. These have both been almost totally gone during the past 10 years that I've been on my pills, but they go off the charts when I try to stop. I'm trying to find the best way to get off of them. I've read Robert's suboxone method and it seems like it could be a great option. My only fear is getting hooked on another pill. I've also thought about tapering, but the couple of times I've tried that, my depression and anxiety force me back to my normal dosage.

I'm looking for any help to point me in the right direction. I'm ready to dedicate myself to this, but I'm terrified of the depression and anxiety and withdrawals. To give you a perspective on my social anxiety: I dropped out of college my first time because of a public speaking requirement. After being put on these pills (obviously for a totally unrelated condition), I went back and graduated with my Master's.

Edit: these are the only medications I am taking. Due to the fact that these have basically cured my other conditions (while taking them), my dr doesn't even know about my depression and anxiety.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-11-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    Autumnhopes likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pnt10 View Post
    I want to start by saying THANK YOU in advance to anyone who takes the time to help in any way!!

I'm just going to try to summarize here and answer any questions that will help clarify anything.

I am trying to stop a 10 year opiate addiction. I have been prescribed tramadol and oxycodone for the past 10 years by a dr. I have never abused them (taken more than prescribed), but I am 100% physically dependent on these EVIL pills. I take 250mg of tramadol per day and 20mg of oxycodone per day. I want off of them very badly. However, I have bad anxiety (including social anxiety) and mild depression. These have both been almost totally gone during the past 10 years that I've been on my pills, but they go off the charts when I try to stop. I'm trying to find the best way to get off of them. I've read Robert's suboxone method and it seems like it could be a great option. My only fear is getting hooked on another pill. I've also thought about tapering, but the couple of times I've tried that, my depression and anxiety force me back to my normal dosage.

I'm looking for any help to point me in the right direction. I'm ready to dedicate myself to this, but I'm terrified of the depression and anxiety and withdrawals. To give you a perspective on my social anxiety: I dropped out of college my first time because of a public speaking requirement. After being put on these pills (obviously for a totally unrelated condition), I went back and graduated with my Master's.

Edit: these are the only medications I am taking. Due to the fact that these have basically cured my other conditions (while taking them), my dr doesn't even know about my depression and anxiety.
    Welcome!

I think that your first step is to get in to see your doctor and talk about your depression/anxiety. Using the trams and oxy obviously isn't the best way to treat your root issues.

As far as getting off the tram and oxy, I personally would avoid the sub route. The amount of oxy you're using is minimal and subs would be like using a sledge hammer to swat a fly. The trams are a different monster. They not only treat pain but have an SSRI as an active ingredient. I'd tackle one of these at a time and, I think the oxy should be the first to go. Continue at first with your usual dose of tram and I'd do my best to just stop the oxy. If you find it too hard, then back up and taper off of them by perhaps dropping the oxy by 5mg once a week. Once that's done, you can begin to deal with the tram taper. Speak with your doctor. It's important because while you'll likely need an SSRI you'll have to be careful combining it with the trams and he/she will hopefully know how you should make that transition.

Good luck. You're wise to decide to get off both of these and once you do, you can treat your depression with something that is safer and effective. Keep posting. It helps.

Peace,

Cat
    DravenDomnq and Autumnhopes like this.

Autumnhopes is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pnt10 View Post

I agree with Cat. I was taking oxycodone & tramadol. It helped my depression & anxiety very much! But I was also on Lexapro which is a SSRI to help depression & anxiety too. I'm on 20 mg of that & have gotten off the tramadol & oxy. I cleaned up for 3 months. It took 3 weeks of w/d symptoms to get through & the anxiety was the worst!! The restlessness was crazy & so hard. But u can do it! Definitely see a doc & explain need for antidepressants & your anxiety issue with depression. They will prescribe a good med (which is trial & error) and I agree to get off oxy first and wean tramadol. With the antidepressant it will be a little easier. I'm trying to get myself together & get off the morphine/dilaudid I'm on now but I'm like you... I never took more then prescribed & it helped me with anxiety etc.. but it's a double edged sword that will cut you! I'm going to get clean too!!! I'm thankful for this site too!