Something just dawned on me about drugs i'm taking
    FastNOC is offline Junior Member

Default Something just dawned on me about drugs i'm taking

I'm currently trying to taper down my subutex. that's actually working exceptionally well.

but i just thought of something.

I had a sciatic nerve bout. I told the doc i couldn't take pain killers (because that's what i was hooked on) so he gave me something he said would be safe. Baclofen.

I've been taking it for 1.5 months. I had original prescription and 1 refill. i just looked and will be out in 4 days.

Am i going to go through withdrawal? i didn't even consider tapering, like a ding dong.

I wasn't taking a lot. the maximum daily dosage is 100 mg. the most I ever took was 80 mg but normally about 60

Should i be worried? I'm still- on the sub. would that help?

Oh fyi I cannot revisit the doc. i couldn't afford to pay my bill off, and we've now moved 1300 miles away

Anyone have any thoughts?

I took 0 yesterday and was afraid of going into withdrawal today so I took half a pill. thought I'd see if that gets me through the day. i'm just worried

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FastNOC View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts?

I took 0 yesterday and was afraid of going into withdrawal today so I took half a pill. thought I'd see if that gets me through the day. i'm just worried
    I'm sorry, I have no personal experience with baclofen? Have you done any research online about the subject? Myself, I would taper what you have left the best you can but if there are withdrawals from baclofen then you would need more to do a proper taper? How many pills do you have left, what are the milligrams of each pill?

PS
    On another note, how long have you been on the subutex? How much are you taking per day and what is your taper schedule?

On Subutex I've been taking it for 5 years.

I started off at 36mg per day. I cut that in half to 16, and a few days ago I cut that to 8

I feel pretty good.

I don't know that i'm feeling any side effects from baclofen yet. i didn't think it'd be an issue then i read on the web about how you should taper off. I was prescribed 4 pills per day @20mg and that's really the most i ever took. most times I took 3 but yesterday i dind't take any and i took half one today. I have 7.5 left

My guess is if there's withdrawal the subutex is helping with that but I don't know. Baclofen is not narcotic

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

On Subutex I've been taking it for 5 years.

I started off at 36mg per day. I cut that in half to 16, and a few days ago I cut that to 8

I feel pretty good.

I don't know that i'm feeling any side effects from baclofen yet. i didn't think it'd be an issue then i read on the web about how you should taper off. I was prescribed 4 pills per day @20mg and that's really the most i ever took. most times I took 3 but yesterday i dind't take any and i took half one today. I have 7.5 left

My guess is if there's withdrawal the subutex is helping with that but I don't know. Baclofen is not narcotic
    With the baclofen I would try a few more days with just half a pill per day and see how that goes? If all is well then I would do 3-4 days at a 1/4 of a pill per day, then maybe an eighth of pill for a few days, etc...?

With the subutex I would stay at your current dose for the next 4-5 days, as long as you are stable at the end of those 4-5 days you can reduce again but by only 25% from here on out! 25% reductions every 4-5 days as long as you are stable (very little to no withdrawal symptoms) on the current dose? Also it's very important to take your sub at the same time everyday! Here's a link to Robert's sub taper plan - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

You can skip the induction part because you are already taking subs. Follow the rest of the plan exactly and you'll have great success like many, many others before you have had following Robert's sub therapy/taper plan! Good luck and keep updating and posting to your thread. Even if you don't get responses quickly or all the time others are still reading your thread and your story may help someone else someday? Be well... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-31-2016 at 02:34 PM.

I read that. but check this lovely problem out.

I refilled my subutex about 4 weeks ago. i only filled a 1 week supply, but I've been trying to taper off these things. i'm on way too high a dose.

So here's how it went. i was prescribed 32mg per day. I cut that in half a few months ago to 18. A week or so ago I cut it in half a gain, but i sometimes slip due to psychological issues (anxiety).

I called today to get another week's refill. which will last me a month if I don't reduce, but am planning on it...... The pharmacy (and ALL pharmacies i called) are completely out of subutex and buprenorphine. THURSDAY is the soonest I can get a refill and that's considering it actually happens then.

I'll be out tomorrow.

So here i am, working my ass of to cut back, i cut HUGE numbers, get to where I am feeling safe, and positive, and I can't get a refill.

What the heck am I going to do? this is awful.

How long does it take to go into withdrawal from Subutex (I take buprenorphine).

I'm sure this isn't going to help the baclofen issue either.

it's unreal, as drug addicts we abuse things to no end. I'm trying to recover, stretching out HUGE amounts of time, and I'm in trouble.

zebra1961 is offline Member

stretch your script or you can quit and when withdrawals start take 1mg every hour till they stop then you can use that amount to taper down from Look up Roberts taper plan to help from this point , I jumped at 6mgs it was tough but I made it, but I recommend tapering as low as possible to make it more comfortable quitting Look up Thomas recipe to use when you quit, its not as bad as a lot of people say it is, I did it you can too!! I was on buprenorphine [ suboxone,then subutex ] for 2.5 years and opiates for 7.5 years before that.

biggest problem is breaking down doses that small.

i already break a single 8mg pill down in 1/4ths and i'm not sure how well it will work trying to do less. i'm afraid it'll just fall apart.

I did read that thread, but i didn't understand a lot of it. forgive me, i'm in panic mode and struggling to keep calm enough to read long articles.

he was talking about mg levels so much lower than I'm used to I didn't think i'd qualify
    if I quit temp and let withdrawals come in, would 1mg honestly be enough to subside them?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-01-2016 at 06:06 AM.

mychoices123 is offline Junior Member

The drug literally does that to your brain. If your already on subs why are you not trying more aggressive things for you. Not the pharmacy hours, pills left, hours spent..... You'll be you again. The drug needs to be done before you completely shut off.... Withdrawal sucks but this is one easy reminder. Just don't think about it for one hour and then another. Twenty four forty eight months years. I'm prouder of sixty hours cold turkey than anything I have "substituted"/weaning takes away all the emotions raw feelings. I'm doing this for me, and this is the hardest thing I've done. I am not sure they would ever tell you it's easier to forget than to truly learn. This one was a hard ten year lesson. Change something. The math won't change of the problem doesn't. It takes a hell of a mind....

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

biggest problem is breaking down doses that small.

i already break a single 8mg pill down in 1/4ths and i'm not sure how well it will work trying to do less. i'm afraid it'll just fall apart.

I did read that thread, but i didn't understand a lot of it. forgive me, i'm in panic mode and struggling to keep calm enough to read long articles.

he was talking about mg levels so much lower than I'm used to I didn't think i'd qualify
    if I quit temp and let withdrawals come in, would 1mg honestly be enough to subside them?

Hey FastNOC -

Cut your sub pill down as low as you can with a razor blade. You can usually cut an 8mg pill into 4 equal pieces of 2mg each if you're careful. To get smaller doses put one of the 2mg pieces in a bowl. Using the back of a spoon or similar object crush the 2mg piece into a very fine powder. Pour it onto a piece of paper then you can separate the pile into equal amounts. Making 4 piles would all be .5mg for example. You can get any dose needed using the method.

You can also go to just about any pharmacy and purchase a pill crusher and do the same thing. Once you get the dose needed put it onto a folded business card then pour it under your tongue. I used this method a few times and it's not difficult at all.

Hope this helps!

Randy

djhenry82 is offline New Member

It is unlikely you will experience withdrawal from discontinuing the baclofen. Just to be sure try using 1 at bedtime each night (you said you only had 4 left correct?) The Subutex is a different story, however. I don't believe you mentioned needing to go off of it, but if you ever do make sure you follow your doctor's instructions precisely!

Quote Originally Posted by djhenry82 View Post
    It is unlikely you will experience withdrawal from discontinuing the baclofen. Just to be sure try using 1 at bedtime each night (you said you only had 4 left correct?) The Subutex is a different story, however. I don't believe you mentioned needing to go off of it, but if you ever do make sure you follow your doctor's instructions precisely!
    Oh I did...

I just stopped taking it. I got sick 2 days, well 1.5 days later. Started getting a fever of about 101 in the afternoon, HORRIBLE depression, to the point i was borderline suicidal, and i started waking up at about 3am with cramps in my legs so bad it brought tears to my eyes.

I let it go on 3 days because I thought i was just sick, then i looked online and found out those were all symptoms of withdrawal from baclofen

the next morning I took one pill (20mg) and felt find an hour later. Realizing the problem i went to urgent care. The doctor told me I should not have just stopped cold. he prescribed me 46 pills at 10mg. I take 3 daily the first week, then 2 daily for a week, then 1.5 per day etc etc..

since getting on that schedule I've been fine.

Through it all, I managed to keep my brupenorphine intake down to 4mg per day, and I'm cutting it down to 2 soon as I get done with the baclofen.

So far I feel much better than expected, have no symptoms and feel more clarify and focus since cutting back on the burprenorhine.

I don't 'need' to get off the brupenorphine, but i really want to. price is one issue, but more than that I just don't want to be trapped. that's why i got on them to begin with, to help me get off the pain killers I got hooked on.

I think i'm in a good place right now, it's just keeping focus, and realizing i can reduce these things substantially but still be OK
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-09-2016 at 02:26 PM.