Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony1967
  • 1 Post By extremetm
  • 1 Post By ulasaw
Started suboxone today,need advice
  1. #1
    Tony1967 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default Started suboxone today,need advice

    Ive had three back surgeries due to four herniated disc.Started out 7 years ago on 10mg oxy and worked up to 160mg oxycotin a day,wanted my life back and hoping to get it through the use of sub.I took my last 80mg oxy yesterday at 8am and after a horrible night started on 24mg a day of suboxone today,only had 16mg so far but feeling great right now.I did discover that alot of the pain i was having in my back as well as in my knees and feet was being caused from the meds clearing my system at night,i thought it was all because of my back.Anyway,i just want others that have gotten off oxy this way to give me there feed back and advice on tapering of,how long to wait before tapering and the successes or failures they have experienced.Its only been less than a day but so far so good
    Catrina likes this.

  2. #2
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1967 View Post
    Ive had three back surgeries due to four herniated disc.Started out 7 years ago on 10mg oxy and worked up to 160mg oxycotin a day,wanted my life back and hoping to get it through the use of sub.I took my last 80mg oxy yesterday at 8am and after a horrible night started on 24mg a day of suboxone today,only had 16mg so far but feeling great right now.I did discover that alot of the pain i was having in my back as well as in my knees and feet was being caused from the meds clearing my system at night,i thought it was all because of my back.Anyway,i just want others that have gotten off oxy this way to give me there feed back and advice on tapering of,how long to wait before tapering and the successes or failures they have experienced.Its only been less than a day but so far so good
    Welcome!

    But....WHOA!!!! 24mg of sub a day is way, way, WAY too much. Your doctor may have prescribed that to you or someone told you to take that much but please, please back up and take a breath. Take some time and read some threads from start to finish that relate to the sub taper plan used here as well as threads created by people who only found this site after having taken high doses of sub. Without exception, those who took those high doses regretted it and wished they had knew our plan. I might add right here that I'm not at all surprised that you have no pain. Subs are a powerful opiate approximately 30 times stronger than morphine.

    You should not take anymore today and in fact, you may not need any tomorrow either. The half life of subs can be as long as 72 hours and the median is around 36. If I were you, before you get further into this, I'd do my very best to not take more and reinduct when you begin to feel withdrawal symptoms. Have you seen and read Robert's Sub Taper Plan that has been successfully used here by thousands? You might start there by reading that carefully. Then come back and let us know what you want to do.

    I do hope that you'll at least listen to what will be recommended here. I promise it's the best plan around developed by a beloved member here years ago and it will give you the greatest chance of success to taper off and truly be clean. Post soon.

    Peace,

    Cat

  3. #3
    extremetm is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I'm new here and excuse my ignorance. But why would anyone take an opiate stronger than morphine to quit another opiate? Isn't that just transferring the problem from one drug to another.

  4. #4
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Welcome!

    But....WHOA!!!! 24mg of sub a day is way, way, WAY too much. Your doctor may have prescribed that to you or someone told you to take that much but please, please back up and take a breath. Take some time and read some threads from start to finish that relate to the sub taper plan used here as well as threads created by people who only found this site after having taken high doses of sub. Without exception, those who took those high doses regretted it and wished they had knew our plan. I might add right here that I'm not at all surprised that you have no pain. Subs are a powerful opiate approximately 30 times stronger than morphine.

    You should not take anymore today and in fact, you may not need any tomorrow either. The half life of subs can be as long as 72 hours and the median is around 36. If I were you, before you get further into this, I'd do my very best to not take more and reinduct when you begin to feel withdrawal symptoms. Have you seen and read Robert's Sub Taper Plan that has been successfully used here by thousands? You might start there by reading that carefully. Then come back and let us know what you want to do.

    I do hope that you'll at least listen to what will be recommended here. I promise it's the best plan around developed by a beloved member here years ago and it will give you the greatest chance of success to taper off and truly be clean. Post soon.

    Peace,

    Cat
    Tony - listen to Cat, she is 100% correct about everything she has told you!

    Most people are stable on just 2-4mg of sub per day! Here's a link to the Robert's suboxone therapy/taper plan that Cat was referring to - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

    Read this taper plan over and over again until you understand it completely? Robert's plan takes about 6-8 weeks to complete from start to finish! This plan has a proven track record with many, many success stories! You can be a success story as well if you follow Robert's plan exactly as outlined! Keep us updated on everything? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

  5. #5
    JennyLynn1272 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    So thankful I ready Roberts plan before starting subs.

  6. #6
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extremetm View Post
    I'm new here and excuse my ignorance. But why would anyone take an opiate stronger than morphine to quit another opiate? Isn't that just transferring the problem from one drug to another.
    No, not when suboxone is used and tapered correctly to get off full agonist opiates! That being said, suboxone therapy should only be used as a last resort option after multiple failed attempts at trying to quit by cold turkey and/or tapering methods?

    You can Google search "How Is Suboxone Treatment Different than Drug Abuse?" (Psych Central website) to answer your question in deeper detail. You can also read Robert's sub therapy/taper plan, here's a link - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

  7. #7
    extremetm is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Hi Ricky,

    I did Google it and the side effects seem to be the same or worse than oxy withdrawal symptoms. It just seems odd to me that telling an 'additct' who is pre-disposed to abusing drugs already to take another opiate to taper off an opiate.

    But what do I know. I have my own demons to deal with. Just quit a 7 year vic addiction last night. Spent 3 years getting through a benzo withdrawal cold turkey.

    If suboxone works for some people then more power to them. It's the end game that counts afterall. Thanks for the info
    Catrina likes this.

  8. #8
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extremetm View Post
    Hi Ricky,

    I did Google it and the side effects seem to be the same or worse than oxy withdrawal symptoms. It just seems odd to me that telling an 'additct' who is pre-disposed to abusing drugs already to take another opiate to taper off an opiate.

    But what do I know. I have my own demons to deal with. Just quit a 7 year vic addiction last night. Spent 3 years getting through a benzo withdrawal cold turkey.

    If suboxone works for some people then more power to them. It's the end game that counts afterall. Thanks for the info
    extremetm - you are right, the side effects/withdrawals can be much worse than full agonist opiates! But like I said, if "used and tapered correctly"! Those are the key words there!

    Most people who use suboxone including the doctors who prescribe it have no idea how to properly take the med and then how to properly taper the med. If the suboxone is used correctly as outlined in Robert's sub therapy/taper plan then the process can be quite comfortable with very little to no withdrawals when you make the final jump off. If you haven't already take a look at Robert's plan, here's the link again - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

    That should give you a great perspective?

    I'm glad you got off the benzos, they are the worst drug ever! I can't believe you quit xanax cold turkey though, that is insane and extremely dangerous! And good luck getting off the vicodin. Take care... God bless us all!

  9. #9
    Catrina is offline Diamond Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extremetm View Post
    Hi Ricky,

    I did Google it and the side effects seem to be the same or worse than oxy withdrawal symptoms. It just seems odd to me that telling an 'additct' who is pre-disposed to abusing drugs already to take another opiate to taper off an opiate.

    But what do I know. I have my own demons to deal with. Just quit a 7 year vic addiction last night. Spent 3 years getting through a benzo withdrawal cold turkey.

    If suboxone works for some people then more power to them. It's the end game that counts afterall. Thanks for the info
    I know. Subs always scared the chit outta me so I never used them. The likelihood of abusing subs is much, MUCH lower. It has a partial antagonist that should mostly block any euphoric effect of the opiate part of it. The opiate in it is to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Based on my experience here, people who had always failed miserably tapering from full agonist opiates or quitting cold turkey were in fact able to taper from the subs without the desire to take higher than needed doses. You need to taper down to very very small amounts per day, like .125mg (a fraction of a mg) before you jump. There is usually some lingering symptoms but most often none that will stop you from working or living your life. Subs are a great tool but only when used correctly. Not for everyone and one of the biggest issues is that doctors prescribe them at much higher doses than necessary.

    Peace,

    Cat

  10. #10
    Tony1967 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default Confused

    The bottle of film says 8mg/2mg,im suppose to take one film 3 times a day so does that mean im taking 24mg of sub or 6mg of sub,why would the doctor put me on too much.He said he would have me off of them in three months so im very confused

  11. #11
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1967 View Post
    The bottle of film says 8mg/2mg,im suppose to take one film 3 times a day so does that mean im taking 24mg of sub or 6mg of sub,why would the doctor put me on too much.He said he would have me off of them in three months so im very confused
    That is 24mg/day! Like Cat said, way too much! The Doctor put you on too much because they don't know any better! Read the link to Robert's sub therapy/taper plan that I left for you a few posts back.That will explain everything!

  12. #12
    ulasaw is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    The 2 refers to the Naloxone (sp) which is added to prevent IV users from
    shooting up the strip.
    When I was prescribed Suboxone I had come down from 120/meth to
    only 12.
    Yet the Dr. started me on 16 of Subs!
    I found out on my own that that was Way Too Much! I got extremely anxious, distracted and hyper.
    On my own, I immediately went down to 1strip, then half then quarter.

    Addicts tend to think MORE
    But NOT W SUBOXONE.
    As a long term methadone patient, and now on Sub., I used to feel guilty that
    I am in no hurry to stop Subs.
    Most on these Boards are really big on getting off of them but personaly
    at my age I'm fine w 2 MG's/day.
    good luck and I'll try answer any questions along w other members.
    Jackie76 likes this.

  13. #13
    Jackie76 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    36

    Default testing

    Hi Tony,
    I just posted to you from my phone, but even though I was logged in it went into moderation. I just wanted to see if posting from PC would be different, or else I'm too new and it just won't let me post without moderating it first. I'll delete this if it does post right away, just testing.
    Jackie

    hmmm, this seemed to post fine, but no delete option so I'll leave it, and try to get my phone post up next. Sorry to post unrelated information. I'll try to figure out if there's a way to delete.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-17-2017 at 04:31 AM.

  14. #14
    Jackie76 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    36

    Default

    (this is the post I tried to add before, but went into moderation. I tried to edit out what I thought might be the problem)
    Hi Tony,
    Doctor prescribe according to various guidelines, but it's never an absolute science because everyone's body is different.
    I was taking a lot, for a very long time and my doctor started me on 4mg twice a day (as others have said, it's the first number 8mg on the package, the 2mg is a different drug, Naloxone, that you don't need to worry about--this confused me too at first).
    Even though they started me at 8, I didn't stay there long. I too felt great at 8. Too great, I thought. From what I've read here, I knew that Suboxone is very strong, much stronger than most doctors understand. Plus, many of their patients are always telling them they need more, not less, because we are addicts, and Suboxone can be abused.
    I've dropped down over the weeks I've been on it, usually going down every 4-6 days. Went first to 6mg, then 5, then 4. The Robert plan says you can do bigger reductions when you're at higher doses and everyone on this forum considers 8mg a large dose, and I would agree.
    Suboxone is very strong.
    I'm currently try to get down below 4, but it's now getting harder for me to drop. I've tried 1.5 twice a day and I definitely feel the reduction. I'm going to stay at 4 mg a little longer, then go to 1.75 twice a day. Ulasaw is right. Most people are coming here to get off Suboxone, or be on it a short time. I think everyone's goal is to be on the smallest amount the shortest amount of time, but that's different for everyone.
    Good luck! I'm very new here and new to subs too. It helps if you read other threads, particularly from folks who've already gone through the journeys and are now several years clean, like Randy35, Catrina and Ricky. They're great sources of information and inspiration.
    Jackie
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Started Suboxone Today
    By Inkdbakr in forum Suboxone Treatment
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-23-2016, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22