Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunshine1112
Starting Norco taper
    BoNNer2255 is offline New Member

Question Starting Norco taper

Hi! Not sure if I am in the right place, hope someone can help with that first. I have been taking norco about 2 years now due to 2 back surgeries. I hate being dependant on these things! I was getting norco from my surgeon but they said they won't prescribe me anymore (my last surgery was June 2014). I went back to pain management and the doc treated me like an addict off the street...he threw some papers at me (about
    suboxone, that I figured out later ) gave me a pee test,
    gave me another appointment, but didn't care if I had enough norco (which I didn't ). So I read a lot of these threads and decided to taper off norco. The last 2 years I have taken anywhere from 5mg to 100mg daily. I have been on 60mg for awhile now. Last Friday I went down to50mg/day. I didn't really suffer any w/d's doing that but I know it will probably get worse. I think this Friday I will try to cut another 10 but may end up doing 5mg. Problem? I am scared to death of w/d. I went through it once coming off klonopin. I take that for panic disorder and I had run out (was changing docs etc ).
    I'm praying I can do this and hoping my surgeon will prescribe more norco so I can taper. I hated being treated like the pm doc treated me! Sounds like a lot of good people in here! Thanks in advance!

Iwant2help is offline Junior Member

Glad to hear you're trying to get off.That road never ends.If you are dropping 10mg a week wd's will not be too bad.When you get to two I would slow down to dropping 5mg each week.It will drag it out but minimize wd's.
    When you get to 5mg a day you shouldn't really have withdrawals to speak of when you quit.Runny nose and fatigue but no horror story.
    Be sure you know you want off and know why.Good thing is it's two years.Plenty if time to get hooked but better than 6 years and forgetting the person you were.Exercise is what really got me through.It gave me a sense of accomplishment.Probably boosted some endorphins too which help.
    We're here to help and wishing you success

Thanks so much, this seems like a great place for support
    I guess I am pretty lucky to have a husband and family that cares but sometimes you just need an outsider's opinion, ya know? I just want off cause I'm on so many other regular drugs. I feel like I hit 50 and everything went downhill, the 2 back surgeries, constant headaches, colitis, bleeding ulcers, panic disorder, arrhythmia, and the latest diabetes 2...
    So I thought 2 years was a long time...I'm guessing you had 6.
    I've been on klonopin for about 25 years, before that i couldn't leave the house. Being off them for 2 days 7 years ago was pure hell..that is why I'm scared about getting off the norco - geez do i sound like a baby! When this is done i hope I can help others!

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Iwant2help is correct if you can just cut back every four days then once you get to 5 mg you will be fine. I went off norcos and had no wds. From what i have read even if you went ct its not as bad as a benzo wd. Good luck with the taper if you have any questions on it I can help.
    BoNNer2255 likes this.

Going to see psychiatrist today to see what he has to say about tapering >> subs. I really didn't like the way my pm doc treated me. I am still taking 50mg/day. Think I will drop another 10 tomorrow.

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

This is hard but if you are only tacking 50 mg of norco thats not allot. Subs can be even worse to come off of. Hope is tapering off of hydros as well and she is at 3 pills a day maybe you can team up with her. Please read up on subs and maybe ask around to some senior members about them. Stay strong.

I found that when I spent a week in W/D off of 30mg roxi daily it was really about the same as going off 120mg. So even though I agree 50mg tabs isn't too bad, c/t is going to suck. If you have the self-control to wean (I sure didn't, no way) and can accept that you're going to prolong the pain (albeit in smaller amounts), tapering sounds good. Whatever works, so long as you want to do it.

Yeah so I cut down another 10mg yesterday . Thought I was doing so great until around noon today. Then the pain hit, it comes and goes but whend it's here it's horrible!
    I have found it's kind of like quitting smoking (which I did 1 1/2 years ago)...I keep thinking there will be another large dose of norco but there isn't! Just like there will be another cigarette...not! Just gotta keep remembering "no, there is no more". Kinda like grieving....