stopping oxy addiction
    REM0202 is offline New Member

Default stopping oxy addiction

I've been taking pain meds for about 4 years. It started when I got prescribed hydro for my back. I have some rare thing fused to the left side of my spine. Now im prescribed 10 mg oxy 4 x a day. Truthfully, I do hurt, but it's out of control. I currently take about 200 mg of oxy a day. I think at one point I was up to 360mg a day at my worst. It just gradually got out of control over the years. The more I hurt, the more I took. Tolerance built up, as did the amount I was taking. I have a mixture of wanting to "feel good" (even though my tolerance is so high I never do) & needing the medicine for legit pain. Its a fine line, but what is not a fine line is the fact that it has to stop. I'm trying to wean myself down, which I feel like oersonally, for me is the best way, but I'm not going to be able to afford it. If I go too fast it won't work (been there done that) but I'm not going to be able to afford to go down slowly like i need to. I admire all of you who quit cold turkey and detox. I guess I'm weak, but I'm also realistic, and I know that once that real uncomfortable feeling starts to set in that j will start looking. So I have 3 8mg suboxone strips. I've read a few posts on here about people doing a fast suboxone taper. This is what I'm considering doing. I do not want to give up one drug for another, so I do not want to be stuck on suboxone. I'm thinking that I will divide the suboxone up to last 4-5 days max (I'll get more subs if I need to) and that should be long enough to get my body through the withdrawals. Then I'll stop taking the suboxone. This isn't a long enough time for me to get hooked on suboxone, so I shouldn't withdraw from it. I've taken 1 dose of suboxone 2 times before. I don't like the way it makes me feel, but idk if it's the suboxone itself or if it's my body wanting pain meds. What worries me is I'm interview for jobs, and I'm afraid of a drug test. I'm prescribed the opiates, but not the subs. Idk....any advice or encouragement anyone gas would be great right about now...

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there.
    Just a quick answer about urine test.
    They have to test specifically for suboxone..
    IDK if your lab does.
    Most dont but that could be changing..

Are your planning on drug testing within the next few weeks sub has a long half life means stays in your system longer than short acting opiates..

I have to get ready for work.
    Others will chime in to help you ..
    Are you planning on inducing soon?
    How did you do it before?

There is a great post about inducing at the top of the suboxone board on a sticky called suboxone therapy..
    You Don't want to take it too soon!
    I will check back after work..

Take care
    Bette

Batting500 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by REM0202 View Post
    I've been taking pain meds for about 4 years. It started when I got prescribed hydro for my back. I have some rare thing fused to the left side of my spine. Now im prescribed 10 mg oxy 4 x a day. Truthfully, I do hurt, but it's out of control. I currently take about 200 mg of oxy a day. I think at one point I was up to 360mg a day at my worst. It just gradually got out of control over the years. The more I hurt, the more I took. Tolerance built up, as did the amount I was taking. I have a mixture of wanting to "feel good" (even though my tolerance is so high I never do) & needing the medicine for legit pain. Its a fine line, but what is not a fine line is the fact that it has to stop. I'm trying to wean myself down, which I feel like oersonally, for me is the best way, but I'm not going to be able to afford it. If I go too fast it won't work (been there done that) but I'm not going to be able to afford to go down slowly like i need to. I admire all of you who quit cold turkey and detox. I guess I'm weak, but I'm also realistic, and I know that once that real uncomfortable feeling starts to set in that j will start looking. So I have 3 8mg suboxone strips. I've read a few posts on here about people doing a fast suboxone taper. This is what I'm considering doing. I do not want to give up one drug for another, so I do not want to be stuck on suboxone. I'm thinking that I will divide the suboxone up to last 4-5 days max (I'll get more subs if I need to) and that should be long enough to get my body through the withdrawals. Then I'll stop taking the suboxone. This isn't a long enough time for me to get hooked on suboxone, so I shouldn't withdraw from it. I've taken 1 dose of suboxone 2 times before. I don't like the way it makes me feel, but idk if it's the suboxone itself or if it's my body wanting pain meds. What worries me is I'm interview for jobs, and I'm afraid of a drug test. I'm prescribed the opiates, but not the subs. Idk....any advice or encouragement anyone gas would be great right about now...
    Hey bro.

I feel your pain but I would highly recommend against switching to Suboxone for the purpose of a quick detox. Suboxone tapering needs to be done just right or can be massively bad and longer than CT off of the hydro/oxy.

I just yesterday switched to Suboxone from about a 200mg habit and I feel great. However, I am being supervised by a doctor and will taper down over a month or so to .25. It's not just about how low your last dose was but also how long you were on it.

I'm no expert but from my research, Suboxone is not to be taken lightly in terms of detox. If given a choice of cold turkey with a quick taper from what youre doing now >>. your plan to quit by switching to suboxone with a quick taper, I would do the former.

Taper down to 30 on the hydro/oxy and jump ship and just be prepared for a few days of hell. People that go the Suboxone route should have the money, time and preparedness to do a proper Opiate Replacement Therapy.

And also, as I've been told many times, if you do take Suboxone, make sure you are deep into withdrawl before you do because it acts on the same receptors as the oxy but they kick them off and stick on them and can send you in to precipitated withdrawls which sounds like the fourth corner of hell from how I've heard it explained.

My opinion based on what youve said: wean yourself down on the oxys and expect that to be unpleasant and then do the detox.

My detox doc used a great analogy about the control aspect of tapering. If you're a skier or snowboarder you know when you go down the mountain if you are a good skier or boarder that you are in control but in reality your control is in small doses of being out of control. As you traverse the chaos by slowing down or speeding up, you take control of the mountain. If you think of your taper as skiing down the mountain that you are currently at the top of, it's just a little movement here to regain a little control as you speed down to the bottom. Controlled chaos.

You can do it brother. Ski down the mountain and then detox at a low dose!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2015 at 07:52 PM.

undesl1 is offline New Member

Default want to stop

Hello, I have been taking percocet for about 10 yrs for back pain and I need to stop

I want to get off percs

If I only take an average of 50-60 mgs daily, can I stop cold turkey and if so, how long will I feel like >>>>? And what can I do to help?

JonCakes is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by undesl1 View Post
    If I only take an average of 50-60 mgs daily, can I stop cold turkey and if so, how long will I feel like >>>>? And what can I do to help?
    Hey man, I know for my dog whenever he quits, doesn't matter what dose, he always feels like >>>> for usually 3 days max. Usually by the 4th he's feeling better and has a better out look on life. It wouldn't matter if he was taking 30mg (good ol' days) daily or 500mg (at this point he needs to quit) daily. It's doable. For my Dog I know its more so a mental block mostly, some uncomfortable sweating but mainly mental. He would advise you to quit he was a major addict then quit for 4 yrs and felt so good, however he had to have surgery 1 1/2 yr ago and hasn't been able to kick the habit since. He know how to do it, it's just harder for him this time around.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-20-2015 at 12:47 PM.