• 2 Post By jcmorales1989
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By jcmorales1989
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By jcmorales1989
Struggling to get sober considering Subs
    jcmorales1989 is offline New Member

Default Struggling to get sober considering Subs

Hey guys, I’ve been reading a lot on this page about suboxone tapers to help with withdrawal symptoms. I was am a recovering >>>>>> addict who had stayed clean for 8 years. Recently i had fractured my spine among other issues with my back and long story short have been taking Percocets for about 9 months and not for the pain anymore. Now for the “buzz” that i don’t even get. It started off as 5mg a day escalated to 30 now to about 120-150mg a day. I run a business and it’s very difficult for me to get up in the morning and function without taking anything. I usually wake up feeling the symptoms of withdrawals unless it’s in my head. (Yawning, skin crawling, extremely sore, on the toilet)

I want to put an end to this, but I’m struggling. I have plenty of 8mg strips, but i can’t even make it long enough without percs to take them because of the compulsion and obsession.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

I just called a detox/treatment center. I really would rather do this at home though. I can’t believe I’m in this position again.
    Catrina and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi and welcome!!

I'm so sorry that you've found yourself in this spot. After so many years of sobriety life happened and here you are. I understand how you feel and everything you explained in your post. Been there. Done that. UGH!

OK. Here's my advice. You have two choices. The first is to cold turkey and get this over with and that's my choice. You'd need to get rid of EVERYTHING and hunker down for those five days that it's going to take to get past the intense withdrawal. So long as you have things around you, you are apt to cave and take something. If you commit to it without an option of going back you'll get yourself into the right frame of mind and somehow get through those 5 days.

The other option for you is to begin a sub taper. Get rid of all and I mean ALL the percs you have left and allow yourself to go into full withdrawal. If you haven't already, print out and use the COWS worksheet to score your withdrawal symptoms so that you know when it's safe to take the first dose of sub. Have you read the taper plan used here? If not, find it and read it and read it again. It's Roberts Sub Taper Plan. It works provided you commit to it and stay exactly, and I mean exactly to plan. It will take 6-8 weeks to complete.

How do you want to get this done? Let us know and we'll encourage you, support you, share experience and advice and help however we can. One addict to another: If you're ready, you can get this done. You're no worse and no better than the rest of us and we all say that if we can do it, so can you. Pinky promise.

Peace,

Cat
    1232 and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Hi and welcome!!

I'm so sorry that you've found yourself in this spot. After so many years of sobriety life happened and here you are. I understand how you feel and everything you explained in your post. Been there. Done that. UGH!

OK. Here's my advice. You have two choices. The first is to cold turkey and get this over with and that's my choice. You'd need to get rid of EVERYTHING and hunker down for those five days that it's going to take to get past the intense withdrawal. So long as you have things around you, you are apt to cave and take something. If you commit to it without an option of going back you'll get yourself into the right frame of mind and somehow get through those 5 days.

The other option for you is to begin a sub taper. Get rid of all and I mean ALL the percs you have left and allow yourself to go into full withdrawal. If you haven't already, print out and use the COWS worksheet to score your withdrawal symptoms so that you know when it's safe to take the first dose of sub. Have you read the taper plan used here? If not, find it and read it and read it again. It's Roberts Sub Taper Plan. It works provided you commit to it and stay exactly, and I mean exactly to plan. It will take 6-8 weeks to complete.

How do you want to get this done? Let us know and we'll encourage you, support you, share experience and advice and help however we can. One addict to another: If you're ready, you can get this done. You're no worse and no better than the rest of us and we all say that if we can do it, so can you. Pinky promise.

Peace,

Cat

I think i am going to try to cold turkey this, i have the entire first week of April off... and i know i sounds like a typical “I’ll do it tomorrow” addict, but i really don’t want to live like this and know i can’t handle the withdrawals and maintain work.

I have read his plan over and over again to make sure i understand it. I’m curious if i could do an induction and then a quicker tapper and subdue some of the intensity of the symptoms. Like this ...

Day 1-2 1.25mg
    Day 3-4 1mg
    Day 4-6 .5mg

Off
    Catrina and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorales1989 View Post
    I think i am going to try to cold turkey this, i have the entire first week of April off... and i know i sounds like a typical “I’ll do it tomorrow” addict, but i really don’t want to live like this and know i can’t handle the withdrawals and maintain work.

I have read his plan over and over again to make sure i understand it. I’m curious if i could do an induction and then a quicker tapper and subdue some of the intensity of the symptoms. Like this ...

Day 1-2 1.25mg
    Day 3-4 1mg
    Day 4-6 .5mg

Off
    You're not alone in wondering and wanting to do a rapid taper from subs. I've been around this Forum for over 8 years and I've seen many people try to do a taper like this. I'm sorry to say it rarely works and here's why. Subs are a crazy strong opiate estimated like 30 times stronger than morphine. The half life is 36-72 hours compared to less than 4 hours for a perc. So, subs have a stacking effect because you don't metabolize what you take today and then you take more tomorrow and the next day and so on. It doesn't take anytime at all to have a lot of sub in your system even when you're taking small doses. The best way to use subs is a slow taper usually taking 6-8 weeks making 25% reductions once every four or five days so that you body can become accustomed to the lower dose.

By taking the small doses you describe all that will happen is to keep you symptom free for the days you dose the subs and for a few days after that while you finish metabolizing them. Guess what. Once your have metabolized the sub, the withdrawal symptoms will be waiting for you anyway and the subs may have even caused your detox to be longer. There's just no escaping it unless you slowly taper. Sorry. I know that's bad news.

Nah. I don't think that you are procrastinating getting this done. I've been through it so many times that I know better than to think that I could work while detoxing. Some people actually do but I know me and it wouldn't be happening. You're not far away from your Day 1 so use the time to get excited and get yourself into the right frame of mind. Find the Thomas Recipe and get some of those supplements that just might help your symptoms. I have other tips up my sleeve for you too so right before you're ready to start, remind me and I'll share. You can Google the Thomas Recipe and everything on it is relatively inexpensive and easy to find. It does include benzos but unless you're already taking them, DON'T! They are highly addictive and you don't want to get into that.

Congratulations for making your decision. Keep posting and we'll do our best to answer questions and to help you get excited.

Peace,

Cat
    1232 and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Thank you so much Cat. I just read up on the Thomas recipe and I’m going to go for it! I’ve experienced the freedom, and i know what’s waiting for me on the other side. I am going to start collecting everything i need and come April 1st I’m going for it. Back to AA for me I already have a list of meetings for me to go to everyday all throughout the day. I think i am going to rent a hotel room, because the access to a juccuzi sounds nice. Also if i stay home i don’t think i will last. I become so irritated by everything my fiancé does that it’s just an excuse for me to run an take a pill. I tried called an in patient detox, but because i am
    A Business owner i need constant access to my cell phone and laptop. I am planning on continuing to work through this processs but only from the hotel room taking calls and working on my laptop. I also plan on communicating on this forum. I’ve been reading a lot on here and everyone is so supportive and i need that, and you’ve proven that.

Good Morning,

There was a man here last year who detoxed in a hotel room so that he could be away from the noise of life and take advantage of the spa. Worked too.

April 1, not far away at all! Continue to check and to post. I'll be watching for you.

Peace,

Cat
    Beefaroni7272 and 1232 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Good Morning,

There was a man here last year who detoxed in a hotel room so that he could be away from the noise of life and take advantage of the spa. Worked too.

April 1, not far away at all! Continue to check and to post. I'll be watching for you.

Peace,

Cat
    Well tomorrow starts my journey... i have everything i need. I will continue to post i this thread.
    1232 likes this.

It’s been 24 hours since my last dose and I’m almost afraid as to why I’m not deathly sick... I’ve been following the Thomas recipe. Including the benzos I’ve been asleep since yesterday only to get up go to the bathroom
    Take tons of vitamins drink a a bunch of water and go to sleep. Everyone at work is concerned they do not no what I’m going through. Is it normal to not be sick after a full 24 hours of not using?

OKC-26 is offline Member

Hey jc. Congrats on making the jump! I know what you’re going through. I was right where you are exactly a week ago. Only mine was 90mg instead of your 120ish. I won’t bore you with posting the day by day replay of mine, if you want that you can goto my thread on the “need to talk” page. What I will say is this won’t be as bad as you think it is. Yes it sucks. But very accomplishable. Keeping a strong mind and staying positive is the best thing you can do. If I can do this believe me you can too.

I didn’t feel real bad at 24 hours in either. Pretty anxious waiting on what’s about to happen. You’ve got 2 tough days ahead of you and then things get better. You’ve got this!